Direct3D problem

Hello.

I just moved all my hardware from a Pentium II 300 (192 MB ram) to a
Pentium Celeron 900 (786 MB ram) including my GeForce FX 5200.

In the new system Direct3D and OpenGL refuses to work in some programs
(a Winamp visualization that uses OpenGL [used to work fine] and DXDiag
have problems, but the OpenGL screensavers work fine).

I have tried the DirectX diagnostic program and I got:
DX7: Error at step 8 Creating 3D Device: HResult=0x80004005 (generic
failure)
DX8: Error at step 8 Creating 3D Device: HResult=0x8876086c (error code)
DX9: Error at step 8 Creating 3D Device: HResult=0x8876086c (error code)

I have tried reinstalling the drivers, reinstalling DirectX and some
minor changing of BIOS configuration regarding this AGP card and nothing
worked so far.

The other hardware seems to be comfortable in this computer and with
Windows 98SE.

What do I do???

Thanks in advance.

Hi.

Do you use nortons antivirus as that sometimes affects direct3d. I had the
same problem.

If you buy the new nortons antivirus 2004 version it is fixed.

When you click test direct3d in dxdiag if it says 'test cancelled by user'
etc that is your problem.

There will be an entry in your task manager called ccapp. It is used by
Nortons antivirus to auto start nortons when you switch your comp on. If
you end that task the direct3d will work temporerily until the ccapp returns
next time you switch your comp on.

N. Williams

"Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> I just moved all my hardware from a Pentium II 300 (192 MB ram) to a
> Pentium Celeron 900 (786 MB ram) including my GeForce FX 5200.
>
> In the new system Direct3D and OpenGL refuses to work in some programs (a
> Winamp visualization that uses OpenGL [used to work fine] and DXDiag have
> problems, but the OpenGL screensavers work fine).
>
> I have tried the DirectX diagnostic program and I got:
> DX7: Error at step 8 Creating 3D Device: HResult=0x80004005 (generic
> failure)
> DX8: Error at step 8 Creating 3D Device: HResult=0x8876086c (error code)
> DX9: Error at step 8 Creating 3D Device: HResult=0x8876086c (error code)
>
> I have tried reinstalling the drivers, reinstalling DirectX and some minor
> changing of BIOS configuration regarding this AGP card and nothing worked
> so far.
>
> The other hardware seems to be comfortable in this computer and with
> Windows 98SE.
>
> What do I do???
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hi

I suspect for Windows 98 SE you need to install the motherboard drivers
( AGP GART ). Without this, 3d acceleration will not work. I seem to
recall that, that only had a built in AGP GART driver for Pentium II
mobos at most. You need this off the installation CD for the mobo.

Also, under Windows 98, you'll have to reduce the virtual memory size to
accomodate a 128 MB graphics card with 512 MB or more of system RAM.

Sharanga Dayananda wrote:
> Hi
>
> I suspect for Windows 98 SE you need to install the motherboard drivers
> ( AGP GART ). Without this, 3d acceleration will not work. I seem to
> recall that, that only had a built in AGP GART driver for Pentium II
> mobos at most. You need this off the installation CD for the mobo.

Or off the internet. This worked, thanks.

> Also, under Windows 98, you'll have to reduce the virtual memory size to
> accomodate a 128 MB graphics card with 512 MB or more of system RAM.

Is it possible to do this without actually limiting it?