Apple Cinema Display and BFG 6800 - minor problem

Hello,

I asked about the possibility of using a 23" cinema display with a 6800 card
a few weeks ago and got many responses. (Thanks everyone!)

I took the plunge, and bought a 23" Apple display and a BFG 6800 card (not
Ultra, not GT, just a 128MB regular one - this was all that I could find in
the area).

It's gorgeous. I love it.

However, there's one minor snag: the card has a VGA and a DVI output. The
display is hooked up to DVI, for obvious reasons. When I booted Windows, I
got the BIOS screen and the XP boot on my old VGA screen only, nothing on
the Apple. (In the office I use two identical 19" Sonys on some ATI card,
one on the VGA port and one on DVI, and both BIOS and the Windows boot
process appears on both, right until the system actually boots and
"separates" the two displays.)

So it appears that I can't really get rid of the old VGA display. Sort of a
bummer, as it's a huge 21" CRT, and I don't really have room for both of
them on my desk.

It appears that the BFG's firmware insists on using only the VGA connector
as the primary display (BIOS, etc) and only makes use of the DVI output when
a driver actually forces it to.

I tend to think that the problem is with the card - but if I got a "proper"
6800 (2 DVI outs), would that solve my problem? Anyone out there using an
Apple as the primary monitor, and seeing the BIOS screen?

Has anyone seen (and maybe solved) this? (I'm thinking maybe a firmware
update?) I'm borrowing a 19" LCD that I can hook up to the VGA port until
this is resolved... The Apple is absolutely beautiful, but without being
able to see things like a BIOS screen, a DOS floppy boot, etc - it just
cannot be my only monitor.

TIA!

-Marton
6 answers Last reply
More about apple cinema display 6800 minor problem

    > got the BIOS screen and the XP boot on my old VGA screen only, nothing on
    > the Apple. (In the office I use two identical 19" Sonys on some ATI card,

    Have you tried disconnecting the vga monitor altogether to see if it will
    default to the dvi on boot?

    Gary

    --

    Tweaks & Reviews
    www.slottweak.com

    Yes I have. Disconnected, powered down, powered up.

    I'm pretty sure that the card is the culprit, but wouldn't mind getting some
    confirmation on this.

    -M

    "Marton Anka" <marton at 03am dot com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I asked about the possibility of using a 23" cinema display with a 6800
    card
    > a few weeks ago and got many responses. (Thanks everyone!)
    >
    > I took the plunge, and bought a 23" Apple display and a BFG 6800 card (not
    > Ultra, not GT, just a 128MB regular one - this was all that I could find
    in
    > the area).
    >
    > It's gorgeous. I love it.
    >
    > However, there's one minor snag: the card has a VGA and a DVI output. The
    > display is hooked up to DVI, for obvious reasons. When I booted Windows, I
    > got the BIOS screen and the XP boot on my old VGA screen only, nothing on
    > the Apple. (In the office I use two identical 19" Sonys on some ATI card,
    > one on the VGA port and one on DVI, and both BIOS and the Windows boot
    > process appears on both, right until the system actually boots and
    > "separates" the two displays.)
    >
    > So it appears that I can't really get rid of the old VGA display. Sort of
    > bummer, as it's a huge 21" CRT, and I don't really have room for both of
    > them on my desk.
    >
    > It appears that the BFG's firmware insists on using only the VGA connector
    > as the primary display (BIOS, etc) and only makes use of the DVI output
    when
    > a driver actually forces it to.
    >
    > I tend to think that the problem is with the card - but if I got a
    "proper"
    > 6800 (2 DVI outs), would that solve my problem? Anyone out there using an
    > Apple as the primary monitor, and seeing the BIOS screen?
    >
    > Has anyone seen (and maybe solved) this? (I'm thinking maybe a firmware
    > update?) I'm borrowing a 19" LCD that I can hook up to the VGA port until
    > this is resolved... The Apple is absolutely beautiful, but without being
    > able to see things like a BIOS screen, a DOS floppy boot, etc - it just
    > cannot be my only monitor.
    >
    > TIA!
    >
    > -Marton

    I think this is a known problem. Not sure of any solutions however...

    http://tinyurl.com/45ara

    Chip

    Does the borrowed LCD monitor show boot on the dvi?

    Gary

    --
    Tweaks & Reviews
    www.slottweak.com

    "GTX_SlotCar" <deroy@maine.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Does the borrowed LCD monitor show boot on the dvi?

    Gary - no, it does not. So it IS the card after all.

    Looks like I'm going to have to try it with an Ultra, or any card that that
    has dual DVI outs, and hook the monitor up to the primary DVI connector.

    -Marton

    "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message

    > I think this is a known problem. Not sure of any solutions however...
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/45ara

    Chip,

    Thanks for the link. The guy is having the exact same problems. The solution
    would be to get a card with dual DVI outs....

    -Marton

Nvidia Apple Graphics Displays