How much have you overclocked your FX5900 XT ?

Just curious to find out how much other people have overclocked there cards.
I have a Sparkle FX5900 XT and I have it clocked at
Core Clock Frequency: 470mhz
Memory 900mhz.
I have a temperature probe attached to the underside of the heatsink and
whilst using it to play Doom 3 on medium settings the temperature gets up to
about 42C

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

425 / 763. But do me a favor. Run timedemo demo1 with your card
overclocked as you have it now -- and then NOT overcloced (stock of
400/700). Report the 2nd timedemo run for each setting.

Should be interesting to compare.

"Mr Daisy Marshall" <aMaRsHaLl117@(NoCrAp)HoTmAiL.CoM> wrote in message
> Just curious to find out how much other people have overclocked there
cards.
> I have a Sparkle FX5900 XT and I have it clocked at
> Core Clock Frequency: 470mhz
> Memory 900mhz.
> I have a temperature probe attached to the underside of the heatsink and
> whilst using it to play Doom 3 on medium settings the temperature gets up
> about 42C

> .....Report the 2nd timedemo run for each setting.

Why do people run the timedemo twice?

timedemo demo1 usecache
or
timedemo demo1 1

will do the same on one pass.

Gary

--

Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

Timedemo Results(All on Medium Quality)

Running at 400/700
1024X768 39.8FPS
800X600 46.2FPS

Running at 470/900
1024X768 43.9FPS
800X600 47FPS

Athlon XP2800
1gb ram
Sparkle FX5900 XT

"GTX_SlotCar" <deroy@maine.rr.com> wrote in message
> > .....Report the 2nd timedemo run for each setting.
>
> Why do people run the timedemo twice?
>
> timedemo demo1 usecache
> or
> timedemo demo1 1
>
> will do the same on one pass.
>
> Gary
>

> --
>
> Tweaks & Reviews
> www.slottweak.com

Hey...good to know; will save time. Thanks.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Not really, it loads a while first when you precache -- doesn't really save
that much.

"tooly" <rdh11@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> "GTX_SlotCar" <deroy@maine.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > .....Report the 2nd timedemo run for each setting.
> >
> > Why do people run the timedemo twice?
> >
> > timedemo demo1 usecache
> > or
> > timedemo demo1 1
> >
> > will do the same on one pass.
> >
> > Gary
> >

> > --
> >
> > Tweaks & Reviews
> > www.slottweak.com
> >

> Hey...good to know; will save time. Thanks.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You don't play at high quality with your 5900xt? I do. You should
definitely be able to with how much you overclock.

> Timedemo Results(All on Medium Quality)
>
> Running at 400/700
> 1024X768 39.8FPS
> 800X600 46.2FPS
>
> Running at 470/900
> 1024X768 43.9FPS
> 800X600 47FPS
>
> Athlon XP2800
> 1gb ram
> Sparkle FX5900 XT
>
> "Eric" <eric@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > 425 / 763. But do me a favor. Run timedemo demo1 with your card
> > overclocked as you have it now -- and then NOT overcloced (stock of
> > 400/700). Report the 2nd timedemo run for each setting.
> >
> > Should be interesting to compare.
> >

> > "Mr Daisy Marshall" <aMaRsHaLl117@(NoCrAp)HoTmAiL.CoM> wrote in message
> > > Just curious to find out how much other people have overclocked there
> > cards.
> > > I have a Sparkle FX5900 XT and I have it clocked at
> > > Core Clock Frequency: 470mhz
> > > Memory 900mhz.
> > > I have a temperature probe attached to the underside of the heatsink
and
> > > whilst using it to play Doom 3 on medium settings the temperature gets
> up
> > > about 42C

I aint played at high quality yet but now you mentioned it I'll give it a
go.
> You don't play at high quality with your 5900xt? I do. You should
> definitely be able to with how much you overclock.
>

> "Mr Daisy Marshall" <aMaRsHaLl117@(NoCrAp)HoTmAiL.CoM> wrote in message
> > Timedemo Results(All on Medium Quality)
> >
> > Running at 400/700
> > 1024X768 39.8FPS
> > 800X600 46.2FPS
> >
> > Running at 470/900
> > 1024X768 43.9FPS
> > 800X600 47FPS
> >
> > Athlon XP2800
> > 1gb ram
> > Sparkle FX5900 XT
> >
> > "Eric" <eric@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > 425 / 763. But do me a favor. Run timedemo demo1 with your card
> > > overclocked as you have it now -- and then NOT overcloced (stock of
> > > 400/700). Report the 2nd timedemo run for each setting.
> > >
> > > Should be interesting to compare.
> > >

> > > "Mr Daisy Marshall" <aMaRsHaLl117@(NoCrAp)HoTmAiL.CoM> wrote in
message
> > > cards.
> and
> > up

It should save at least half the time of the uncached timedemo and takes
about a tenth of a second to add 1 to the command. Seems like an efficient
use of time to me :)

Gary

--

Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

> Not really, it loads a while first when you precache -- doesn't really
save
> that much.
>

> "tooly" <rdh11@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "GTX_SlotCar" <deroy@maine.rr.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Why do people run the timedemo twice?
> > >
> > > timedemo demo1 usecache
> > > or
> > > timedemo demo1 1
> > >
> > > will do the same on one pass.
> > >
> > > Gary
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > Tweaks & Reviews
> > > www.slottweak.com
> > >

> > Hey...good to know; will save time. Thanks.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

It is better, but it doesn't save 1/2 the time. Since it takes a lot longer
to get going while it "precaches". I also noticed that timedemo runs are
slightly slower when using the precaching method (only a frame or two
though).

> It should save at least half the time of the uncached timedemo and takes
> about a tenth of a second to add 1 to the command. Seems like an
efficient
> use of time to me :)
>
> Gary
>
> --
>
> Tweaks & Reviews
> www.slottweak.com
>

> "Eric" <eric@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Not really, it loads a while first when you precache -- doesn't really
> save
> > that much.
> >

> > "tooly" <rdh11@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "GTX_SlotCar" <deroy@maine.rr.com> wrote in message

> > > Hey...good to know; will save time. Thanks.

> It is better, but it doesn't save 1/2 the time. Since it takes a lot
longer
> to get going while it "precaches". I also noticed that timedemo runs are
> slightly slower when using the precaching method (only a frame or two
> though).

Yeah, I just took out my old Spalding digital stopwatch and timed it. Using
the shortcuts for entering commands, it wasn't quite half the time.

-start stopwatch-
timedemo demo1
(runs timedemo)
display 46 fps
tilde ~ (to bring up console)(no need to click OK)
up arrow (to enter last command)
enter
(runs timedemo)
display 55.5 fps
-stop stopwatch-
Time is 1:46:86.
Run timedemo again just for kicks (3rd time is always less than 2nd time for
me using this method)
55.1 fps

-start stopwatch-
timedemo demo1 1
(runs timedemo)
display 55.0 fps
-stop stopwatch-
Time is 1:06:90.
Run timedemo again just for kicks (2nd time is always less than 3rd time for
me using this method)
55.5 fps

For those who are curious:
P4 2.4C at 3.12gHz
eVGA 6800GT
Quality mode in control panel
2xQ in control panel
1600x1200 High Quality in game with 8xAF
smooth as silk gameplay :)

Gary

--

Tweaks & Reviews