Sign in with
Your question
Closed

id Software's Tim Willits: RAGE is "Basically Done"

Last response: in News comments
August 3, 2011 4:52:49 AM

I hope this game is solid for the PC. I'm constantly disappointed in games downgrading themselves so they can play on the consoles. I look forward to seeing the reviews on Rage and hopefully purchasing/playing it as well.
Score
August 3, 2011 5:09:32 AM

skazI hope this game is solid for the PC. I'm constantly disappointed in games downgrading themselves so they can play on the consoles. I look forward to seeing the reviews on Rage and hopefully purchasing/playing it as well.

Battlefield 3.
Score
August 3, 2011 5:35:33 AM

so its fallout 3, but with vehicle combat?
Score
August 3, 2011 6:38:47 AM

iam2thecroweso its fallout 3, but with vehicle combat?

So it's Oblivion, but with guns and vehicle combat?
Score
August 3, 2011 6:55:02 AM

So it's Wasteland, but with 3d graphics and dumbed down.
Score
August 3, 2011 6:56:16 AM

So it's Borderlands, but with better graphics?
Score
August 3, 2011 6:59:31 AM

yeach i will wait 7 October :D 
Score
August 3, 2011 7:18:57 AM

JDW_SWBSo it's Oblivion, but with guns and vehicle combat?

And it's being published by Bethesda...
Score
August 3, 2011 8:24:19 AM

So it's console game with PC port.
Score
August 3, 2011 9:06:30 AM

So it's Doom 3, but with 5-finger figures?
Score
August 3, 2011 9:56:27 AM

It's sad to say but everything from the game-play video and what Carmack had to say about not only Rage but FPS's in general which basically boiled down to innovation = bad and only the "snobby" do it or want it. I don't have much hope for Rage. I'm not getting my hopes up and I advise others not to as well.

One plus side was seeing the mod ability for the PC version.
Something we see less and less of these days.

nisdecSo it's Doom 3, but with 5-finger figures?

No, then the screenshot above would be pitch black.
Score
August 3, 2011 11:53:32 AM

So its an id software game that you can play... even on iDevices...
Score
August 3, 2011 12:04:04 PM

Here's a Thumbs up from an eager linux gamer :) 
Score
August 3, 2011 12:27:04 PM

Soul_keeperHere's a Thumbs up from an eager linux gamer

i did not know that there were any good games for linux...wait there are not, lol.....just because you are different it does not mean that you are better ;) 
Score
August 3, 2011 2:09:40 PM

Not all games for windows will run on wine.^^
Score
August 3, 2011 2:14:21 PM

doom3, quake4, and various id games including rage have run natively (no need for wine) on linux systems :) 

I for one will pay the sticker price on release for this feature.
Score
August 3, 2011 4:46:31 PM

skazI hope this game is solid for the PC. I'm constantly disappointed in games downgrading themselves so they can play on the consoles. I look forward to seeing the reviews on Rage and hopefully purchasing/playing it as well.

Can't rely on reviews these days. Crysis 2 on PC got good reviews, but was a poor console port. Crytek did redeemed themselves partially by addign DX11 support, but the gameplay wasn't good enough.
Score
August 3, 2011 4:47:54 PM

iam2thecroweso its fallout 3, but with vehicle combat?

No. Fallout 3 combat is gross. All id games have gunplay nothing short of great.
Score
August 3, 2011 5:12:03 PM

Looking foreword to the possibility of two great games for the PC but will have to wait and see.
Rage
SkyRim
Score
August 3, 2011 5:43:03 PM

As long as the $59 price tag offers more than 8 hours of game play I am good! I also have no doubt that Id will develop the game to be optimized on the PC on day one and not like Crysis which improved the PC version much later.
Score
Anonymous
August 3, 2011 6:28:36 PM

Let me correct that line: "[Console is] different to PC, we have to optimize the code for them. We can't just make everyone toss out their consoles and buy new improved ones to play RAGE with the same graphics."

Score
August 3, 2011 8:47:29 PM

So it's Super Mario but with guns and nicer graphics.
Score
August 3, 2011 9:57:33 PM

But can it play Crysis?
Score
August 3, 2011 11:51:52 PM

"It's different from DOOM, Quake and Wolfenstein."
Yes, it's Quafenstoom!

Borrow from every game you've made, put it into a different setting, call it different. GENIUS!

The only thing different is that they've added RPG elements to it. The FPS part will probably play like every other id game ever. It's evident in the charging leaps of the enemies and their emphasis of shotguns in the demo videos. I wouldn't be surprised if it beeped every time I shot something.

It might still be a good game, but lets be honest here. id makes awesome game engines, not groundbreaking gameplay.
Score
August 3, 2011 11:53:17 PM

alphanoxLet me correct that line: "[Console is] different to PC, we have to optimize the code for them. We can't just make everyone toss out their consoles and buy new improved ones to play RAGE with the same graphics."

Yet again, the console tards holding back progression of technology. Where's the red rings of death when you really need them!
Score
August 4, 2011 1:51:41 AM

So I get rated down for giving a thumbs up and saying what feature I like ?
apparently some troll thinks everytime someone mentions "linux" that someone is telling them they are better...

I havn't used windows in 8yrs and i'm not alone.
There are plenty of good games for linux.
and more coming ...

rage/doom/quake are extremely appreciated here.

think what you want, to each their own.
Score
August 4, 2011 3:01:41 AM

So, it's an id game long after we stopped caring about id games?
Score
August 4, 2011 3:49:05 AM

I'm tired of the "can it play crysis" crack.

Know this, Crysis is hard to run, not because it is so graphically intense, but because the code in the Cry-Engine is sloppy and a big resource hog. So basically, Crysis in hard to run because the Cry-Engine sucks.

I don't like to waste my time playing games that suck.
Score
August 5, 2011 4:31:22 PM

^+1 pocketdrummer

id makes ground-breaking gaming engines. I have to disagree with you on the gameplay aspect...Carmack's coding + Romero's level design for the original DOOM = excellence
Score
!