Is there any RFC for telnet proxy?

Hello,

I know there are a lot of RFCs for telnet protocal. But how about
telnet proxy/gateway?

Thank you for your time!

Best Regards,
Bo Xie
4 answers Last reply
More about telnet proxy

    Hello VB,

    Thank you very much for your advice. I've tried the search engine of
    www.rfc-editor.org, and it has no any result for "telnet proxy" or
    "telnet gateway". I also have tried google, but not result too. That's
    why I post it here.

    Best Regards,
    Bo Xie

    xiebopublic@gmail.com wrote:
    > I know there are a lot of RFCs for telnet protocal. But how about
    > telnet proxy/gateway?

    Please use http://www.rfc-editor.org - there is a searching engine
    also.

    Yours,
    VB.
    deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"

    xiebopublic@gmail.com writes:
    > Thank you very much for your advice. I've tried the search engine of
    > www.rfc-editor.org, and it has no any result for "telnet proxy" or
    > "telnet gateway". I also have tried google, but not result too. That's
    > why I post it here.

    one pointed to by
    http://www.rfc-editor.org/repositories.html

    not specifically search
    http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/rfcietff.htm

    but categorization (organized by keywords found in titles and
    abstracts) ... click on "Term (term>RFC#)" in "RFCs listed by" section
    .... and find/move down to "proxy"

    proxy
    see also firewall
    3820 3666 3665 3620 3603 3527 3487 3413 3361 3319 3313 3261 3238
    3143 3135 3040 2844 2843 2607 2577 2573 2543 2322 2273 2263 2186
    1919

    clicking on the RFC number, brings up the RFC summary in the lower
    frame. clicking on the ".txt=nnn" field retrieves the actual
    RFC.

    proxies started out being stub applications that did application-level
    sanity checking of incoming requests (aka you actually had an
    application that listened on the socket ... accepted the tcp
    connection ... did minimal processing and then created a new tcp
    connection to the "real" application, forwaring the information). much
    of the early checking was trying to catch things like buffer overflow
    exploits
    http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subpubkey.html#overflow

    for instance

    1919 I
    Classical versus Transparent IP Proxies, Chatel M., 1996/03/28
    (35pp) (.txt=87374) (Refs 959, 1383, 1597)

    in contrast, early firewalls started out doing various kind of
    checking & filtering below the application level.

    early on, you also had (port) wrappers ... possibly running on same
    machine (rather than boundary machine). the wrappers might provide
    things like different authentication checking (aka rather than have
    straight telnet userid/password ... front-end providing more
    sophisticated authentication processes ... before directly contacting
    telnet). i don't have keyword entry for wrappers.

    xiebopublic@gmail.com wrote:
    > Thank you very much for your advice. I've tried the search engine of
    > www.rfc-editor.org, and it has no any result for "telnet proxy" or
    > "telnet gateway".

    Of course not. Sorry.

    A telnet gateway is a host, you can reach via telnet, and this host then
    allows you to start another telnet session on itself.

    So there is no need for a special RFC for this.

    Yours,
    VB.
    deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"

Firewalls Security Telnet Proxy Networking