Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

BFG 6800oc W/FarCry and Doom3

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 29, 2004 10:27:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

BFG 6800oc on sale at Best Buy for $299.00 includes Far Cry an Doom3. This
week only. I got mine.
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 10:27:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

In article <qepYc.3957$JT3.3137@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
bill@phisupply.com says...
> BFG 6800oc on sale at Best Buy for $299.00 includes Far Cry an Doom3. This
> week only. I got mine.
>
I'm thinking of buying it. Is the dual fan arrangement on the BFG noisy?
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 10:27:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

No. Make sure to have at least a 350W powersupply minimum though!

--
--
Daniel

www.dromadaire.com/cimetiere/ouonsenva (français)
ou/or
www.dromadaire.com/cimetiere/english (english)
"wgd" <wgd@nomail.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:MPG.1b9bef2a29a8f2439896b9@news.pa.comcast.giganews.com...
> In article <qepYc.3957$JT3.3137@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
> bill@phisupply.com says...
> > BFG 6800oc on sale at Best Buy for $299.00 includes Far Cry an Doom3.
This
> > week only. I got mine.
> >
> I'm thinking of buying it. Is the dual fan arrangement on the BFG noisy?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 29, 2004 11:47:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"wgd" <wgd@nomail.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b9bef2a29a8f2439896b9@news.pa.comcast.giganews.com...
> In article <qepYc.3957$JT3.3137@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
> bill@phisupply.com says...
> > BFG 6800oc on sale at Best Buy for $299.00 includes Far Cry an Doom3.
This
> > week only. I got mine.
> >
> I'm thinking of buying it. Is the dual fan arrangement on the BFG noisy?


Not in my opinon...my case dosen't seem any louder than before.
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 2:46:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

The last reply is spot on - the 6800 OC took out my 300w PSU Saturday. I will
be using a 480w from now on.


On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:18:19 -0400, "cimetière" <cimetiere@no spam
moncanoe.com> wrote:

>No. Make sure to have at least a 350W powersupply minimum though!
>
>--
August 30, 2004 1:19:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:27:34 GMT, "Ozman" <bill@phisupply.com> wrote:

>BFG 6800oc on sale at Best Buy for $299.00 includes Far Cry an Doom3. This
>week only. I got mine.
>
That's not a sale price it is the going MSRP on that card. Don't get
it confused with the gt model which is 100 more. Although looking at
people's 3dmark scores I would say the extra 100.00 would be well
spent.
August 30, 2004 3:20:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Nefilim" <nefilim@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:vjj4j01u4d5r98qspn5s5bjfjb8tguiknk@4ax.com...
>
> The last reply is spot on - the 6800 OC took out my 300w PSU Saturday. I
will
> be using a 480w from now on.

Really I think this line is overplayed. I have seen people running 6800GT's
on 250w, 200w and even a 150w PSU!

Its more about whether your PSU is any good, rather than what nominal rating
is. Many so-called 300w PSU's struggle to put out half of that in real
world situations.

A 6800GT is no problem for a *decent* 300watter.

Chip

>
>
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:18:19 -0400, "cimetière" <cimetiere@no spam
> moncanoe.com> wrote:
>
> >No. Make sure to have at least a 350W powersupply minimum though!
> >
> >--
>
August 30, 2004 3:21:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

....depending on what else is in the case too, of course. 4 disks, 10 fans
and 3 or 4 PCI cards might be a problem ;-)

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
news:2pgd7vFkiqruU1@uni-berlin.de...
> "Nefilim" <nefilim@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:vjj4j01u4d5r98qspn5s5bjfjb8tguiknk@4ax.com...
> >
> > The last reply is spot on - the 6800 OC took out my 300w PSU Saturday. I
> will
> > be using a 480w from now on.
>
> Really I think this line is overplayed. I have seen people running
6800GT's
> on 250w, 200w and even a 150w PSU!
>
> Its more about whether your PSU is any good, rather than what nominal
rating
> is. Many so-called 300w PSU's struggle to put out half of that in real
> world situations.
>
> A 6800GT is no problem for a *decent* 300watter.
>
> Chip
>
> >
> >
> > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:18:19 -0400, "cimetière" <cimetiere@no spam
> > moncanoe.com> wrote:
> >
> > >No. Make sure to have at least a 350W powersupply minimum though!
> > >
> > >--
> >
>
>
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 9:34:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:19:51 -0400, bp <none@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:27:34 GMT, "Ozman" <bill@phisupply.com> wrote:
>
>>BFG 6800oc on sale at Best Buy for $299.00 includes Far Cry an Doom3. This
>>week only. I got mine.
>>
>That's not a sale price it is the going MSRP on that card.

Huh? The BFG6800oc only comes with Far Cry.

See:- http://www.bfgtech.com/6800OC.html

Current MSRP for the above is $299.99

Doom 3 is ~ $50

So Best Buy is offering a $50 discount ( if you
want Doom 3 and are happy with a non-GT 6800 )

John Lewis

>it confused with the gt model which is 100 more. Although looking at
>people's 3dmark scores I would say the extra 100.00 would be well
>spent.
August 30, 2004 9:34:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:34:35 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:19:51 -0400, bp <none@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:27:34 GMT, "Ozman" <bill@phisupply.com> wrote:
>>
>>>BFG 6800oc on sale at Best Buy for $299.00 includes Far Cry an Doom3. This
>>>week only. I got mine.
>>>
>>That's not a sale price it is the going MSRP on that card.
>
>Huh? The BFG6800oc only comes with Far Cry.
>
>See:- http://www.bfgtech.com/6800OC.html
>
>Current MSRP for the above is $299.99
>
>Doom 3 is ~ $50
>
>So Best Buy is offering a $50 discount ( if you
>want Doom 3 and are happy with a non-GT 6800 )
>
I'm lost here. Where is the $50 discount for DOOM# ?
They have a sticker on the front of the box (no doubt designed to
trick people into thinking they get DOOMS3) but it say something like
The way DOOM is meant to be played (something along those lines)


>John Lewis
>
>>it confused with the gt model which is 100 more. Although looking at
>>people's 3dmark scores I would say the extra 100.00 would be well
>>spent.
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 11:12:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

But most 6800s are unlockable, so this thing could be as good as a GT and
your saving $100, plus $90 in games. Not too bad if it works out.

"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:4133639e.4292062@news.verizon.net...
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:19:51 -0400, bp <none@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:27:34 GMT, "Ozman" <bill@phisupply.com> wrote:
> >
> >>BFG 6800oc on sale at Best Buy for $299.00 includes Far Cry an Doom3.
This
> >>week only. I got mine.
> >>
> >That's not a sale price it is the going MSRP on that card.
>
> Huh? The BFG6800oc only comes with Far Cry.
>
> See:- http://www.bfgtech.com/6800OC.html
>
> Current MSRP for the above is $299.99
>
> Doom 3 is ~ $50
>
> So Best Buy is offering a $50 discount ( if you
> want Doom 3 and are happy with a non-GT 6800 )
>
> John Lewis
>
> >it confused with the gt model which is 100 more. Although looking at
> >people's 3dmark scores I would say the extra 100.00 would be well
> >spent.
>
August 30, 2004 11:12:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:12:10 GMT, "Philburg2"
<philburg2@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>But most 6800s are unlockable, so this thing could be as good as a GT and
>your saving $100, plus $90 in games. Not too bad if it works out

How do you do that ?
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 11:49:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"wgd" <wgd@nomail.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b9bef2a29a8f2439896b9@news.pa.comcast.giganews.com...
> In article <qepYc.3957$JT3.3137@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
> bill@phisupply.com says...
>> BFG 6800oc on sale at Best Buy for $299.00 includes Far Cry an Doom3.
>> This
>> week only. I got mine.
>>
> I'm thinking of buying it. Is the dual fan arrangement on the BFG noisy?

YES
August 30, 2004 11:49:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:49:08 GMT, "lzim" <izimspp@spafm.com> wrote:

>
>"wgd" <wgd@nomail.com> wrote in message
>news:MPG.1b9bef2a29a8f2439896b9@news.pa.comcast.giganews.com...
>> In article <qepYc.3957$JT3.3137@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
>> bill@phisupply.com says...
>>> BFG 6800oc on sale at Best Buy for $299.00 includes Far Cry an Doom3.
>>> This
>>> week only. I got mine.
>>>
>> I'm thinking of buying it. Is the dual fan arrangement on the BFG noisy?
>
>YES
>
my CPU fan is louder
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 11:51:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

That's minimum spec. 430W recommended at least.

"cimetière" <cimetiere@no spam moncanoe.com> wrote in message
news:mKrYc.14877$h56.327422@wagner.videotron.net...
> No. Make sure to have at least a 350W powersupply minimum though!
>
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 3:26:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

To be fair, I did push it a tad. 2 disks, CD-ROM, 1 extra fan, floppy and the
6800.


On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:21:02 +0100, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote:

>...depending on what else is in the case too, of course. 4 disks, 10 fans
>and 3 or 4 PCI cards might be a problem ;-)
>
>"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
>news:2pgd7vFkiqruU1@uni-berlin.de...
>> "Nefilim" <nefilim@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> news:vjj4j01u4d5r98qspn5s5bjfjb8tguiknk@4ax.com...
>> >
>> > The last reply is spot on - the 6800 OC took out my 300w PSU Saturday. I
>> will
>> > be using a 480w from now on.
>>
>> Really I think this line is overplayed. I have seen people running
>6800GT's
>> on 250w, 200w and even a 150w PSU!
>>
>> Its more about whether your PSU is any good, rather than what nominal
>rating
>> is. Many so-called 300w PSU's struggle to put out half of that in real
>> world situations.
>>
>> A 6800GT is no problem for a *decent* 300watter.
>>
>> Chip
>>
>> >
>> >
>> > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:18:19 -0400, "cimetière" <cimetiere@no spam
>> > moncanoe.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > >No. Make sure to have at least a 350W powersupply minimum though!
>> > >
>> > >--
>> >
>>
>>
>
August 31, 2004 3:53:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"bp" <none@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:v937j0d3qcl720848j5gom3ph9me4kt6qi@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:34:35 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:19:51 -0400, bp <none@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >>On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:27:34 GMT, "Ozman" <bill@phisupply.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>>BFG 6800oc on sale at Best Buy for $299.00 includes Far Cry an Doom3.
This
> >>>week only. I got mine.
> >>>
> >>That's not a sale price it is the going MSRP on that card.
> >
> >Huh? The BFG6800oc only comes with Far Cry.
> >
> >See:- http://www.bfgtech.com/6800OC.html
> >
> >Current MSRP for the above is $299.99
> >
> >Doom 3 is ~ $50
> >
> >So Best Buy is offering a $50 discount ( if you
> >want Doom 3 and are happy with a non-GT 6800 )
> >
> I'm lost here. Where is the $50 discount for DOOM# ?
> They have a sticker on the front of the box (no doubt designed to
> trick people into thinking they get DOOMS3) but it say something like
> The way DOOM is meant to be played (something along those lines)
>
>
> >John Lewis
> >
> >>it confused with the gt model which is 100 more. Although looking at
> >>people's 3dmark scores I would say the extra 100.00 would be well
> >>spent.
>
Farcry is packed in the box and they give you an instant rebate(in other
words they don't charge you) for Doom 3.
August 31, 2004 3:53:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:53:23 GMT, "Ozman" <bill@phisupply.com> wrote:

>
>"bp" <none@comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:v937j0d3qcl720848j5gom3ph9me4kt6qi@4ax.com...
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:34:35 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:19:51 -0400, bp <none@comcast.net> wrote:
>> >
>> >>On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:27:34 GMT, "Ozman" <bill@phisupply.com> wrote:
>> >>
>> >>>BFG 6800oc on sale at Best Buy for $299.00 includes Far Cry an Doom3.
>This
>> >>>week only. I got mine.
>> >>>
>> >>That's not a sale price it is the going MSRP on that card.
>> >
>> >Huh? The BFG6800oc only comes with Far Cry.
>> >
>> >See:- http://www.bfgtech.com/6800OC.html
>> >
>> >Current MSRP for the above is $299.99
>> >
>> >Doom 3 is ~ $50
>> >
>> >So Best Buy is offering a $50 discount ( if you
>> >want Doom 3 and are happy with a non-GT 6800 )
>> >
>> I'm lost here. Where is the $50 discount for DOOM# ?
>> They have a sticker on the front of the box (no doubt designed to
>> trick people into thinking they get DOOMS3) but it say something like
>> The way DOOM is meant to be played (something along those lines)
>>
>>
>> >John Lewis
>> >
>> >>it confused with the gt model which is 100 more. Although looking at
>> >>people's 3dmark scores I would say the extra 100.00 would be well
>> >>spent.
>>
>Farcry is packed in the box and they give you an instant rebate(in other
>words they don't charge you) for Doom 3.
Damn I got ripped ;(
I'm probably taking it back anyway's and get a gt or x800
>
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 6:19:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:28:48 -0400, bp <none@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:34:35 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:19:51 -0400, bp <none@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:27:34 GMT, "Ozman" <bill@phisupply.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>>BFG 6800oc on sale at Best Buy for $299.00 includes Far Cry an Doom3. This
>>>>week only. I got mine.
>>>>
>>>That's not a sale price it is the going MSRP on that card.
>>
>>Huh? The BFG6800oc only comes with Far Cry.
>>
>>See:- http://www.bfgtech.com/6800OC.html
>>
>>Current MSRP for the above is $299.99
>>
>>Doom 3 is ~ $50
>>
>>So Best Buy is offering a $50 discount ( if you
>>want Doom 3 and are happy with a non-GT 6800 )
>>
>I'm lost here. Where is the $50 discount for DOOM# ?

Er.. haul out this week's ad, the BFG6800oc box, the copy of Doom3
that you picked up from the shelf and stick it in the cashier-dweebs
face. Make sure that he/she deducts only $299.99 from your credit-card
and doesn't hold on to your credit-card long enough to secretly sign
you up for a MSN account you didn't want ( another Best Buy
scam...subject of a class-action suit about a year ago - dunno the
outcome )

John Lewis

>They have a sticker on the front of the box (no doubt designed to
>trick people into thinking they get DOOMS3) but it say something like
>The way DOOM is meant to be played (something along those lines)
>
>
>>John Lewis
>>
>>>it confused with the gt model which is 100 more. Although looking at
>>>people's 3dmark scores I would say the extra 100.00 would be well
>>>spent.
>
August 31, 2004 6:19:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 02:19:29 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>
>Er.. haul out this week's ad, the BFG6800oc box, the copy of Doom3
>that you picked up from the shelf and stick it in the cashier-dweebs
>face. Make sure that he/she deducts only $299.99 from your credit-card
>and doesn't hold on to your credit-card long enough to secretly sign
>you up for a MSN account you didn't want ( another Best Buy
>scam...subject of a class-action suit about a year ago - dunno the
>outcome )
>
>John Lewis
I see that now. I couldn't read that on the web ad, Damn small print.
Oh well.

Pretty funny but true about BB.
August 31, 2004 2:05:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Philburg2" <philburg2@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:e_KYc.268$HD4.266@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com...
> But most 6800s are unlockable, so this thing could be as good as a GT and
> your saving $100, plus $90 in games. Not too bad if it works out.

You forget that the 6800 memory is much slower

Chip
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 9:04:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

is that the 128 bit 1 or the 256 bit 1 and is it still on sale

==============
Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.
!