Cant view https with zone alarm on

Last response: in Networking
a b 8 Security
September 5, 2005 6:20:00 AM

After updating ZA , Any https site wont connect - DNS/Server not found.

Have tried adding to trusted sites, changing privacy settings ,
lowering security settings , repairing winsock, - nothing works but
turning ZA off when connecting to https sites. When ZA is turned off it
works fine and once connected I can turn ZA back on and continue using
the SSL site. But then if I open a new broswer on a secure site with ZA
on it fails. Wierd.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

More about : view https zone alarm

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 5, 2005 2:26:55 PM

<cc900630@ntu.ac.uk> wrote in message
> After updating ZA , Any https site wont connect - DNS/Server not
found.

> Have tried adding to trusted sites, changing privacy settings ,
> lowering security settings , repairing winsock, - nothing works but
> turning ZA off when connecting to https sites. When ZA is turned off
it
> works fine and once connected I can turn ZA back on and continue
using
> the SSL site. But then if I open a new broswer on a secure site with
ZA
> on it fails. Wierd.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks.

Check in at the ZoneLabs Forums, where there is information concerning
the last update. Apparently, the upgrade is causing problems when
overinstalling instead of a clean install. Links below.
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board?board.id=inst

charlie R
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 5, 2005 5:05:46 PM

cc900630@ntu.ac.uk wrote in news:1125912000.294196.192170
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> After updating ZA , Any https site wont connect - DNS/Server not found.
>
> Have tried adding to trusted sites, changing privacy settings ,
> lowering security settings , repairing winsock, - nothing works but
> turning ZA off when connecting to https sites.

The fact that you turned it off is a NO NO and it doesn't take much to
compromise a machine exposed to the Internet like that with a machine that
has a direct connection to the Internet, especially with the MS NT based
O/S that presents vulnerable services that are not protected.

> When ZA is turned off it
> works fine and once connected I can turn ZA back on and continue using
> the SSL site. But then if I open a new broswer on a secure site with ZA
> on it fails. Wierd.

That's the risk you take with any 3rd party solution like ZA that needs the
O/S to function.

Maybe, you should consider putting the machine behind the protection of a
cheap $20 NAT router that won't interfere like that. You can then drop ZA
at will and the machine will not be compromised because nothing is there to
protect it.

Duane :)
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 5, 2005 6:11:39 PM

Hallo cc900630@ntu.ac.uk, you wrote:

> After updating ZA , Any https site wont connect - DNS/Server not found.
>
> Have tried adding to trusted sites, changing privacy settings ,
> lowering security settings , repairing winsock, - nothing works but
> turning ZA off when connecting to https sites.

Your solution:

> When ZA is turned off it works fine

That's ok.

> and once connected I can turn ZA back on and continue using
> the SSL site. But then if I open a new broswer on a secure site with ZA
> on it fails. Wierd.
> Any ideas?

"Remove Zonealarm from your PC. You don't need it.
Use the Windows-Firewall." (from: <news:431af12f@news.uni-ulm.de>,
posted 23h before)

To understand some more, have a look at:
http://www.ntsvcfg.de/ntsvcfg_eng.html

HTH
Wolfgang
!