Cant view https with zone alarm on

After updating ZA , Any https site wont connect - DNS/Server not found.

Have tried adding to trusted sites, changing privacy settings ,
lowering security settings , repairing winsock, - nothing works but
turning ZA off when connecting to https sites. When ZA is turned off it
works fine and once connected I can turn ZA back on and continue using
the SSL site. But then if I open a new broswer on a secure site with ZA
on it fails. Wierd.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about cant view https zone alarm

    <cc900630@ntu.ac.uk> wrote in message
    > After updating ZA , Any https site wont connect - DNS/Server not
    found.

    > Have tried adding to trusted sites, changing privacy settings ,
    > lowering security settings , repairing winsock, - nothing works but
    > turning ZA off when connecting to https sites. When ZA is turned off
    it
    > works fine and once connected I can turn ZA back on and continue
    using
    > the SSL site. But then if I open a new broswer on a secure site with
    ZA
    > on it fails. Wierd.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > Thanks.

    Check in at the ZoneLabs Forums, where there is information concerning
    the last update. Apparently, the upgrade is causing problems when
    overinstalling instead of a clean install. Links below.
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs

    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board?board.id=inst

    charlie R

    cc900630@ntu.ac.uk wrote in news:1125912000.294196.192170
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    > After updating ZA , Any https site wont connect - DNS/Server not found.
    >
    > Have tried adding to trusted sites, changing privacy settings ,
    > lowering security settings , repairing winsock, - nothing works but
    > turning ZA off when connecting to https sites.

    The fact that you turned it off is a NO NO and it doesn't take much to
    compromise a machine exposed to the Internet like that with a machine that
    has a direct connection to the Internet, especially with the MS NT based
    O/S that presents vulnerable services that are not protected.

    > When ZA is turned off it
    > works fine and once connected I can turn ZA back on and continue using
    > the SSL site. But then if I open a new broswer on a secure site with ZA
    > on it fails. Wierd.

    That's the risk you take with any 3rd party solution like ZA that needs the
    O/S to function.

    Maybe, you should consider putting the machine behind the protection of a
    cheap $20 NAT router that won't interfere like that. You can then drop ZA
    at will and the machine will not be compromised because nothing is there to
    protect it.

    Duane :)

    Hallo cc900630@ntu.ac.uk, you wrote:

    > After updating ZA , Any https site wont connect - DNS/Server not found.
    >
    > Have tried adding to trusted sites, changing privacy settings ,
    > lowering security settings , repairing winsock, - nothing works but
    > turning ZA off when connecting to https sites.

    Your solution:

    > When ZA is turned off it works fine

    That's ok.

    > and once connected I can turn ZA back on and continue using
    > the SSL site. But then if I open a new broswer on a secure site with ZA
    > on it fails. Wierd.
    > Any ideas?

    "Remove Zonealarm from your PC. You don't need it.
    Use the Windows-Firewall." (from: <news:431af12f@news.uni-ulm.de>,
    posted 23h before)

    To understand some more, have a look at:
    http://www.ntsvcfg.de/ntsvcfg_eng.html

    HTH
    Wolfgang

Firewalls Security Networking