reasonable GPU alert temperature

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 30, 2004 7:09:17 PM

I recently bit the bullet and built a new machine: double Xeon configuration
with a GeForce FX5900 by Gainward. The CPUs run in the lower 40s celcius,
which is excellent, but the GPU on the graphics card runs a bit hotter.

After the system has been up for a while X-windows or win-XP, the GPU
core temp registers in the upper 50s. the driver software shows a default
core slowdown temp of 140 celcius and this seems WAY HIGH!

What would be a reasonable operating temperature for the GPU and at what
temp should I flag a temperature alert?

The Xeon CPUS automatically throttle back at 71 celcius. This seems like
a much more reasonable value.

Did some doofus who wrote the driver software put a farenheit value in
as a default that should be listed in celcius?

Any thoughts?
August 31, 2004 12:39:38 AM

<notme@oryou.com> wrote in message news:4133896d$1_5@127.0.0.1...
> I recently bit the bullet and built a new machine: double Xeon
configuration
> with a GeForce FX5900 by Gainward. The CPUs run in the lower 40s celcius,
> which is excellent, but the GPU on the graphics card runs a bit hotter.
>
> After the system has been up for a while X-windows or win-XP, the GPU
> core temp registers in the upper 50s. the driver software shows a default
> core slowdown temp of 140 celcius and this seems WAY HIGH!
>
> What would be a reasonable operating temperature for the GPU and at what
> temp should I flag a temperature alert?
>
> The Xeon CPUS automatically throttle back at 71 celcius. This seems like
> a much more reasonable value.
>
> Did some doofus who wrote the driver software put a farenheit value in
> as a default that should be listed in celcius?
>
> Any thoughts?

I have a 5900 'vanilla' and idle temps are GPU 46-47c, ambient 35-36c
After gaming with i.e. Farcry the GPU reaches 65c or so.
You did'nt mention the ambient temp as stated in the Nvidia control panel -
so could it be poor case cooling? If you are using a 5900 XT or SE I think
they use smaller cooling solutions (my 5900 is a double-height card, using
up the space of the PCI slot below the AGP)
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 12:39:39 AM

I have a Gainward FX 5900 Ultra, not overclocked. Its running 46
ambient 55 GPU right now. Immediately after Doom3, it would hit 60 amb.
70 GPU when running on highest settings, more like 50 amb. 60 GPU when I
ran it on the next highest setting. System has been very stable.

GTS wrote:
> <notme@oryou.com> wrote in message news:4133896d$1_5@127.0.0.1...
>
>>I recently bit the bullet and built a new machine: double Xeon
>
> configuration
>
>>with a GeForce FX5900 by Gainward. The CPUs run in the lower 40s celcius,
>>which is excellent, but the GPU on the graphics card runs a bit hotter.
>>
>>After the system has been up for a while X-windows or win-XP, the GPU
>>core temp registers in the upper 50s. the driver software shows a default
>>core slowdown temp of 140 celcius and this seems WAY HIGH!
>>
>>What would be a reasonable operating temperature for the GPU and at what
>>temp should I flag a temperature alert?
>>
>>The Xeon CPUS automatically throttle back at 71 celcius. This seems like
>>a much more reasonable value.
>>
>>Did some doofus who wrote the driver software put a farenheit value in
>>as a default that should be listed in celcius?
>>
>>Any thoughts?
>

> I have a 5900 'vanilla' and idle temps are GPU 46-47c, ambient 35-36c
> After gaming with i.e. Farcry the GPU reaches 65c or so.
> You did'nt mention the ambient temp as stated in the Nvidia control panel -
> so could it be poor case cooling? If you are using a 5900 XT or SE I think
> they use smaller cooling solutions (my 5900 is a double-height card, using
> up the space of the PCI slot below the AGP)

August 31, 2004 2:04:52 AM

Spajky <Spajky##@volja.net> tried to express:
> On 30 Aug 2004 15:09:17 -0500, notme@oryou.com wrote:
>
>> the driver software shows a default
>>core slowdown temp of 140 celcius and this seems WAY HIGH!
>
> sensor is bad! or
> a farenheit value maybe?

This is the value that was entered as a default as to when the GPU should
fall back to a slower speed. Yes, my guess is that the programmer put
a farenheit value in where they should have used a celcius value...This is
what I'm trying to determine.

>>What would be a reasonable operating temperature for the GPU and at what
>>temp should I flag a temperature alert?
>
> 70° would be Ok IMHO

I agree. I think 70C should be top end for safe semiconductor operation.

>>The Xeon CPUS automatically throttle back at 71 celcius. This seems like
>>a much more reasonable value.
>
> IMHO they start throttling after 100°C from the onDie diode ...

I think you are mistaken. According to the Intel product documentation the
maximum operating temperature for the Xeon is listed as 71C.

Overall, the system doesn't seem to overheat. Ambient temperature in the
case is in the mid 40sC. The CPUS are in that range, and the NVidia GPU
usually runs in the mid 50sC. I am not doing any real 3D stuff (YET):
just Linux X-windows and win-xp, with an occasional simple OpenGL wireframe
of a cave map or some other engineering drawing.

The power supply fan output is pretty hot, but the internal case temp seems
well within acceptible limits.

Thanks
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 4:37:15 AM

Look for a program called rthdribl (use google), its a DX9 stress test that
runs in window.

Leave the Nvidia temperature tab open while the above program runs and watch
the temperature climb. After about 20-30 minutes you'll know your max GPU
temperature.

RF

<notme@oryou.com> wrote in message news:4133896d$1_5@127.0.0.1...
>I recently bit the bullet and built a new machine: double Xeon
>configuration
> with a GeForce FX5900 by Gainward. The CPUs run in the lower 40s celcius,
> which is excellent, but the GPU on the graphics card runs a bit hotter.
>
> After the system has been up for a while X-windows or win-XP, the GPU
> core temp registers in the upper 50s. the driver software shows a default
> core slowdown temp of 140 celcius and this seems WAY HIGH!
>
> What would be a reasonable operating temperature for the GPU and at what
> temp should I flag a temperature alert?
>
> The Xeon CPUS automatically throttle back at 71 celcius. This seems like
> a much more reasonable value.
>
> Did some doofus who wrote the driver software put a farenheit value in
> as a default that should be listed in celcius?
>
> Any thoughts?

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 5:34:52 AM

"Rick Flair" <rflair@wwe.com> wrote in message
> Look for a program called rthdribl (use google), its a DX9 stress test
> that runs in window.
>
> Leave the Nvidia temperature tab open while the above program runs and
> watch the temperature climb. After about 20-30 minutes you'll know your
> max GPU temperature.
>
> RF
>
> <notme@oryou.com> wrote in message news:4133896d$1_5@127.0.0.1...
>>I recently bit the bullet and built a new machine: double Xeon
>>configuration
>> with a GeForce FX5900 by Gainward. The CPUs run in the lower 40s
>> celcius,
>> which is excellent, but the GPU on the graphics card runs a bit hotter.
>>
>> After the system has been up for a while X-windows or win-XP, the GPU
>> core temp registers in the upper 50s. the driver software shows a
>> default
>> core slowdown temp of 140 celcius and this seems WAY HIGH!
>>
>> What would be a reasonable operating temperature for the GPU and at what
>> temp should I flag a temperature alert?
>>
>> The Xeon CPUS automatically throttle back at 71 celcius. This seems like
>> a much more reasonable value.
>>
>> Did some doofus who wrote the driver software put a farenheit value in
>> as a default that should be listed in celcius?
>>
>> Any thoughts?

Or better still get yourself the lil app called RivaTuner and have it
running in the background recording the card temps. I have seen as much as
an instant 20 deg C core temp drop from the moment of exiting 3D back into
2D so checking temps when dropping back in desktop via the nVidia control
panel is not the best way to read the temps.

Buy the way during this very hot time we have been having here recently I
average 79 Core / 45 Ambient in games, Gainward FX5900 Ultra flashed to
FX5950 running 516MHz Core / 1.02 GHz RAM.
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 6:39:22 AM

On 30 Aug 2004 15:09:17 -0500, notme@oryou.com wrote:

>I recently bit the bullet and built a new machine: double Xeon configuration
>with a GeForce FX5900 by Gainward. The CPUs run in the lower 40s celcius,
>which is excellent, but the GPU on the graphics card runs a bit hotter.
>
>After the system has been up for a while X-windows or win-XP, the GPU
>core temp registers in the upper 50s. the driver software shows a default
>core slowdown temp of 140 celcius and this seems WAY HIGH!
>
>What would be a reasonable operating temperature for the GPU and at what
>temp should I flag a temperature alert?

Er.... if you have found out how to change the temperature-limit
number on the nVidia Temperature Settings page, please let me know
the secret keystroke sequence.

>The Xeon CPUS automatically throttle back at 71 celcius. This seems like
>a much more reasonable value.
>
>Did some doofus who wrote the driver software put a farenheit value in
>as a default that should be listed in celcius?

It may be a design error. AFAIK this limit is "burned into" the
silicon. The limit before the 6800 series self-protects is much
lower.

John Lewis

>Any thoughts?

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 8:02:46 AM

<notme@oryou.com> wrote in message news:4133ead4_2@127.0.0.1...
> Spajky <Spajky##@volja.net> tried to express:
>> On 30 Aug 2004 15:09:17 -0500, notme@oryou.com wrote:
>>
>>> the driver software shows a default
>>>core slowdown temp of 140 celcius and this seems WAY HIGH!
>>
>> sensor is bad! or
>> a farenheit value maybe?
>
> This is the value that was entered as a default as to when the GPU should
> fall back to a slower speed. Yes, my guess is that the programmer put
> a farenheit value in where they should have used a celcius value...This is
> what I'm trying to determine.

My PNY 6800 GT is set at 120C. but unless the fan dies it's not going
anywhere near that.

>>>What would be a reasonable operating temperature for the GPU and at what
>>>temp should I flag a temperature alert?
>>
>> 70° would be Ok IMHO
>
> I agree. I think 70C should be top end for safe semiconductor operation.

Too bad because any 3d operation is going to spike up the temp at least 20
deg. Mine tops out at about 82C from an idle of 61C or so. Ambient shows
46C. I do have a 50Mhz OC on the core.

>>>The Xeon CPUS automatically throttle back at 71 celcius. This seems like
>>>a much more reasonable value.
>>
>> IMHO they start throttling after 100°C from the onDie diode ...
>
> I think you are mistaken. According to the Intel product documentation the
> maximum operating temperature for the Xeon is listed as 71C.
>
> Overall, the system doesn't seem to overheat. Ambient temperature in the
> case is in the mid 40sC. The CPUS are in that range, and the NVidia GPU
> usually runs in the mid 50sC. I am not doing any real 3D stuff (YET):
> just Linux X-windows and win-xp, with an occasional simple OpenGL
> wireframe
> of a cave map or some other engineering drawing.
>
> The power supply fan output is pretty hot, but the internal case temp
> seems
> well within acceptible limits.
>
> Thanks

August 31, 2004 8:26:03 AM

--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

"Hmmm Spam" <spam@spaminacan.com> wrote in message
> "Rick Flair" <rflair@wwe.com> wrote in message
>
> Or better still get yourself the lil app called RivaTuner and have it
> running in the background recording the card temps. I have seen as much
as
> an instant 20 deg C core temp drop from the moment of exiting 3D back into
> 2D so checking temps when dropping back in desktop via the nVidia control
> panel is not the best way to read the temps.

exactly the truth there. If people are seeing 70 in the nvidia control
panel, it was probably close to 90 at the peak.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...

You are right about the temperature drop when exiting a 3D game and looking
at the nVidia control panel. I downloaded rthdribl and run it windowed like
the instructions tell you to do and my temps which are now visible in the
nVidia control panel reach about 90C after several minutes. My BFG 6800 GT
OC idles at about 63C in my computer room which has an ambient temp of about
81F right now (I live in Phoenix). The second I stopped the rthdribl test I
saw the nVidia control panel temp drop fro 90C to 77C almost instantly so I
now know that when I exited my game as quick as I could and saw the temp on
the nVidia control panel showing in the 75C+ range that it was way off from
the actual running temp.
"Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
> "Hmmm Spam" <spam@spaminacan.com> wrote in message
>> "Rick Flair" <rflair@wwe.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Or better still get yourself the lil app called RivaTuner and have it
>> running in the background recording the card temps. I have seen as much
> as
>> an instant 20 deg C core temp drop from the moment of exiting 3D back
>> into
>> 2D so checking temps when dropping back in desktop via the nVidia control
>> panel is not the best way to read the temps.
>>

> exactly the truth there. If people are seeing 70 in the nvidia control
> panel, it was probably close to 90 at the peak.
>
> --
>
> Margolis
> http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 3:12:17 AM

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 01:34:52 GMT, "Hmmm Spam" <spam@spaminacan.com>
wrote:

>Or better still get yourself the lil app called RivaTuner and have it
>running in the background recording the card temps. I have seen as much as
>an instant 20 deg C core temp drop from the moment of exiting 3D back into
>2D so checking temps when dropping back in desktop via the nVidia control
>panel is not the best way to read the temps.

Thanks for the info.

FYI:-
Alt-Tab to an open nVidia Temp Settings also works just fine in most
games. Far Cry is fine, for example. However, not Doom 3. Temp will
drop > 5 degrees C per second after exit, so an immediate read is
required. Those that are reporting sub-60degree C temps on
"performance-game-software" have either water-cooling or don't
know how to measure the in-game temp properly.

John Lewis

>Buy the way during this very hot time we have been having here recently I
>average 79 Core / 45 Ambient in games, Gainward FX5900 Ultra flashed to
>FX5950 running 516MHz Core / 1.02 GHz RAM.

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 7:07:13 AM

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 01:34:52 GMT, "Hmmm Spam" <spam@spaminacan.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Or better still get yourself the lil app called RivaTuner and have it
>>running in the background recording the card temps. I have seen as much
>>as
>>an instant 20 deg C core temp drop from the moment of exiting 3D back into
>>2D so checking temps when dropping back in desktop via the nVidia control
>>panel is not the best way to read the temps.
>>

> Thanks for the info.
>
> FYI:-
> Alt-Tab to an open nVidia Temp Settings also works just fine in most
> games. Far Cry is fine, for example. However, not Doom 3. Temp will
> drop > 5 degrees C per second after exit, so an immediate read is
> required. Those that are reporting sub-60degree C temps on
> "performance-game-software" have either water-cooling or don't
> know how to measure the in-game temp properly.
>
> John Lewis

This little program jacks the temp up nicely. And runs in a window.
http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6434
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 7:09:14 AM

"OldFartJAC" <ihatespam@spamupyours.com> wrote in message
> You are right about the temperature drop when exiting a 3D game and
> looking at the nVidia control panel. I downloaded rthdribl and run it
> windowed like the instructions tell you to do and my temps which are now
> visible in the nVidia control panel reach about 90C after several minutes.
> My BFG 6800 GT OC idles at about 63C in my computer room which has an
> ambient temp of about 81F right now (I live in Phoenix). The second I
> stopped the rthdribl test I saw the nVidia control panel temp drop fro 90C
> to 77C almost instantly so I now know that when I exited my game as quick
> as I could and saw the temp on the nVidia control panel showing in the
> 75C+ range that it was way off from the actual running temp.

Interesting, I idle at63C also, but only saw about 81-82C max with
http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6434 on my PNY 6800 GT (at
400/1.0).
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 7:09:15 AM

How long did you let it run before stopping it?
"Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote in message

> "OldFartJAC" <ihatespam@spamupyours.com> wrote in message
>> You are right about the temperature drop when exiting a 3D game and
>> looking at the nVidia control panel. I downloaded rthdribl and run it
>> windowed like the instructions tell you to do and my temps which are now
>> visible in the nVidia control panel reach about 90C after several
>> minutes. My BFG 6800 GT OC idles at about 63C in my computer room which
>> has an ambient temp of about 81F right now (I live in Phoenix). The
>> second I stopped the rthdribl test I saw the nVidia control panel temp
>> drop fro 90C to 77C almost instantly so I now know that when I exited my
>> game as quick as I could and saw the temp on the nVidia control panel
>> showing in the 75C+ range that it was way off from the actual running
>> temp.
>
> Interesting, I idle at63C also, but only saw about 81-82C max with
> http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6434 on my PNY 6800 GT
> (at 400/1.0).

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 10:20:40 AM

Until it quite going up, about 5 minutes I guess.

> How long did you let it run before stopping it?
> "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote in message
>>
>> "OldFartJAC" <ihatespam@spamupyours.com> wrote in message
>>> You are right about the temperature drop when exiting a 3D game and
>>> looking at the nVidia control panel. I downloaded rthdribl and run it
>>> windowed like the instructions tell you to do and my temps which are now
>>> visible in the nVidia control panel reach about 90C after several
>>> minutes. My BFG 6800 GT OC idles at about 63C in my computer room which
>>> has an ambient temp of about 81F right now (I live in Phoenix). The
>>> second I stopped the rthdribl test I saw the nVidia control panel temp
>>> drop fro 90C to 77C almost instantly so I now know that when I exited my
>>> game as quick as I could and saw the temp on the nVidia control panel
>>> showing in the 75C+ range that it was way off from the actual running
>>> temp.
>>
>> Interesting, I idle at63C also, but only saw about 81-82C max with
>> http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6434 on my PNY 6800 GT
>> (at 400/1.0).

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 10:20:41 AM

It seems to go up more the longer you run it. My test stayed in the low 80's
for a bit then climbed up a couple degrees as the test changed to different
modes and continued going up till it hit 90C. I probably ran mine about 20
min.
> Until it quite going up, about 5 minutes I guess.
>
> "OldFartJAC" <ihatespam@spamupyours.com> wrote in message
>> How long did you let it run before stopping it?
>> "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "OldFartJAC" <ihatespam@spamupyours.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Interesting, I idle at63C also, but only saw about 81-82C max with
>>> http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6434 on my PNY 6800 GT
>>> (at 400/1.0).

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 11:30:27 AM