Warning... latest Geforce driver causes Win98 to crash in ..

The latest driver for the Geforce 4 card for Win98 is so unstable that
I've gone back to the previous version. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Matt
Hoffman, and several other games that play fine with the previous
driver will not run with the newest driver.
7 answers Last reply
More about warning latest geforce driver win98 crash

    On sort of OT, Did you try the unofficial upgrade pack or service pack for
    Windows 98 SE?, found here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4131.html

    "J Golden" <prettygoldenboy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > The latest driver for the Geforce 4 card for Win98 is so unstable that
    > I've gone back to the previous version. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Matt
    > Hoffman, and several other games that play fine with the previous
    > driver will not run with the newest driver.

    Thanks for the heads up. Just done a new windows ME install, and couldn't
    figure out why it was totally unstable. I know now! :(

    Nathan.

    --
    Find a better way of life - Discover Marbles.

    www.discovermarbles.com

    This is just a [inadequate] bunch of Windows Update fixes packaged together
    by some third party.

    On 31 Aug 2004 20:19:12 -0500, J Golden <prettygoldenboy@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >The latest driver for the Geforce 4 card for Win98 is so unstable that
    >I've gone back to the previous version. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Matt
    >Hoffman, and several other games that play fine with the previous
    >driver will not run with the newest driver.

    Driver version number(s) please. Your total lack of information
    on your system, peripherals and driver versions is deafening.
    Anyway, why are you still using Win 98 ?

    You are not a troll, I presume ? Trolls have a classic
    non-information posture.

    John Lewis

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 06:22:12 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
    wrote:

    >On 31 Aug 2004 20:19:12 -0500, J Golden <prettygoldenboy@yahoo.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>The latest driver for the Geforce 4 card for Win98 is so unstable that
    >>I've gone back to the previous version. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Matt
    >>Hoffman, and several other games that play fine with the previous
    >>driver will not run with the newest driver.
    >

    >Driver version number(s) please. Your total lack of information
    >on your system, peripherals and driver versions is deafening.
    >Anyway, why are you still using Win 98 ?
    >
    >You are not a troll, I presume ? Trolls have a classic
    >non-information posture.
    >
    >John Lewis

    It's the latest win9x driver on guru3d, whql'd. driver 61.76 i THINK.
    Don't remember the exact version

    And no,he's NOT Trolling Many games are unstable, and that, COMBINED
    with the ddhelp termination+system freeze bug (crash error existed
    since driver 6.08 (no freeze), system freeze+crash error existed since
    the first 40.xx driver) makes the driver all but unusuable. Read my
    post, and stop flaming. Are you some teenager or something? Jeez...

    On 31 Aug 2004 20:19:12 -0500, J Golden <prettygoldenboy@yahoo.com> wrote:

    Warning... old as hell OS causes most recent games to crash!

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 11:58:36 GMT, Falkentyne <no@spam.com> wrote:

    >On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 06:22:12 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On 31 Aug 2004 20:19:12 -0500, J Golden <prettygoldenboy@yahoo.com>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>The latest driver for the Geforce 4 card for Win98 is so unstable that
    >>>I've gone back to the previous version. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Matt
    >>>Hoffman, and several other games that play fine with the previous
    >>>driver will not run with the newest driver.
    >>

    >>Driver version number(s) please. Your total lack of information
    >>on your system, peripherals and driver versions is deafening.
    >>Anyway, why are you still using Win 98 ?
    >>
    >>You are not a troll, I presume ? Trolls have a classic
    >>non-information posture.
    >>
    >>John Lewis
    >>

    >It's the latest win9x driver on guru3d, whql'd. driver 61.76 i THINK.
    >Don't remember the exact version
    >
    >And no,he's NOT Trolling Many games are unstable, and that, COMBINED
    >with the ddhelp termination+system freeze bug (crash error existed
    >since driver 6.08 (no freeze), system freeze+crash error existed since
    >the first 40.xx driver) makes the driver all but unusuable. Read my
    >post, and stop flaming. Are you some teenager or something? Jeez...

    Now I have some information, ignoring other aspects of your
    reply.....

    Never heard of driver 6.08. Must be something totally out
    of the ark.

    However, on my son's PC, I have run WinME with drivers up
    to 45.23 on a GF3 Ti200 on older Win/DirectX
    and DOS games ( with appropriate DOS start-up hooks )
    with none of the problems you are mentioning. ( Audio card
    SBLive! and always with the latest audio drivers. )

    It does not seem to make sense that you are trying to use
    61.76 on such an old OS and antique games. Like lying
    on a bed of nails just for fun. Maybe you should try a full
    re-install of Win98, w98 motherboard drivers, Window
    Update and 45.23.......making doubly sure that your
    sound-card has drivers also compatible with the older games.

    I certainly would recommend 2 machines, one dedicated
    to running the older games, with your GF3 or 4,
    a SB16 or SB Live! (with DOS-emulation drivers), Win 98
    ( or Me) and an appropriately old video driver.

    My "old" machine dedicated to news, e-mail, old-games,
    has a Voodoo 5 5500, SBLive!, Celeron 1100, Win Me.
    Works like a champ on Glide, early Direct-X and DOS
    games. My "new" machine is used for my business
    and productivity applications and latest games. FX5900,
    Audigy2, P4-3.0, Win XP Pro. I use a handy-dandy
    KVM switch between the 2 machines.

    John Lewis

Nvidia Crash Geforce Graphics