XP upgrade Gateway P55C-200 Lawman or G-man Motherboard

Has anyone tried loading XP on one of these vintage Motherboards?
2 answers Last reply
More about upgrade gateway p55c lawman motherboard

    I would advise against it. The maximum memory possible on one of these
    motherboards is 128MB, too little to run the bloated Windows XP. Processor
    speed is way low, too... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:52:59 GMT, "Webster" <none@large.org> wrote:

    >Has anyone tried loading XP on one of these vintage Motherboards?

    Ben,

    I have XP running on the same 233 MHz Pentium CPU (but Abit AX-5 MB) with
    128MB RAM. It runs great, just a little lethargic compared to 98, but
    adequate for non-processor intensive apps. It would run better with 160 MB
    or better ram; less swap thrashing for larger apps.

    Don't let those old Pentiums fool you. I have Pentium and Pentium II running
    XP at 300 MHz or below.

    Currently I have 128MB (also 160 MB) in the Gateway, so memory is not
    restricted.

    I do get a BSD at install time with the Gateway. (error(0) netdisp.c)

    Microsoft says it's a memory fault problem. Gateway says it needs 4-clock
    SDRAM memory modules instead of 2-clock. I can't determine what type is
    installed. I have tried many different modules and speeds of memory to no
    avail.

    The question is really whether the last BIOS update is really compatible
    with XP, or if anyone has every installed XP successfully to run on the
    Lawman/G-man MBs.

    Best regards,
    Webster

    > I would advise against it. The maximum memory possible on one of these
    > motherboards is 128MB, too little to run the bloated Windows XP.
    Processor
    > speed is way low, too... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:52:59 GMT, "Webster" <none@large.org> wrote:
    >
    > >Has anyone tried loading XP on one of these vintage Motherboards?

Gateway Motherboards Windows XP Computers