Same copy of windows 7 on two disks within the same box

nickstaw

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Hello all,

I have just built my first PC from scratch and need a bit of help. Within the computer I have an old IDE internal drive (200Gb) and a new SATA II (500Gb) internal drive on which I have installed a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. I use the new SATA disk for work but what I want to do is install the same copy of Window 7 on to the old disk as well. This will be used for all my non-work applications (video editing, computer music etc). I then want to toggle (shut down then boot from other disk) depending on what I'm doing and therefore will only need one copy of Windows running at any one point in time. I want to separate the disks to save me time if ever I need to reinstall either disk (I have a lot of work and non-work applications that I need to re-install!)

Does any one know if I am able to do this and if so what do I need to do? Will there be problems bewteen IDE and SATA? What configuration do I need (Master/Slave)? What do I need in terms of boot partitions and system partition for both disks?

I have tried installing copies on both disks, cloning etc but one installation tends to disrupt the other one.

Any help will be greatly received

Thanks
Nick

Jonmor68

Distinguished
The licence allows you to use one copy, on one pc, at a time.
So I guess you could install it on both drives to use on the same pc and still get it activated. The best way would be to disconnect one drive while installing then swap over when installing on the second one. This will keep both seperate with their own set of boot files and independent of one another, so if one drive is removed the other will still work.
The downside is you would need to enter bios to change the boot order for the prefered OS.
I would question the need for installing twice anyway. Why not run your work and home programs from the same instalation, the files can be in seperate folders. You could even setup a seperate work account with it's own desktop and shortcuts.

verbalizer

Distinguished
it would be better to have one massively large HDD and then partition it with both partitions having the OS..
that changing of the boot order every-time you want to switch over can be a nuisance..

Install one copy of Windows, all of your applications, updates, etc... then create an image. This way you will have all of your applications without worrying about screwing up your other installation(s). Place your data on the other drive and make sure you back up!

verbalizer

Distinguished

sounds like a possibility...