Help for Palm User Considering PPC

April 10, 2004 10:21:35 AM

I am a die-hard Palm user since 1997. I like the form/factor of the
Axim X3, small light, etc. But I am not convinced that the PPC is as
stable and easy-to-use as the Palm platform.

I like robust apps like Work/Excel and I like the removable batteries
and large screen, but I need some convincing. Please offer your PPC
advice.

Thanks!

More about : palm user ppc

Anonymous
April 10, 2004 8:38:50 PM

As a die-hard Palm user you might find battery
life and the easy-to-use factors slightly
different from your past experiences.

Battery life, depends greatly on what you're
doing with your PPC. Backlight, BlueTooth,
WLAN, Playing lots of audio/video can put a
good dent into remaining battery power.
Setting a good balance in the Power Saving
and Backup options on the PPC can save you
from losing important data.

As for the user interface, if you're used to
Microsoft Windows, you'll find that a PPC looks
and feels the same as a Windows desktop.
there's the Start Menu, Configuration Screen,
icons, windows, tabs, task switcher and the
dreaded registry, just to name a few familiars
that come with a PPC in one form or another.
Pocket Word, Excel, Outlook, Media Player are
applications you can find on these devices
as well.
Data such as contacts, documents and various
other things go through a program called
ActiveSync by default, but ofcourse you could
get a different program such as MightySync.

As for stability, you can expect the same
stability of a PPC as you can of a Windows NT
system to my opinion. you can bend it and
stretch it till it breaks, like any system will
when it's put under enough stress.

I just raked up a few bits and pieces that came
to mind, other people can pitch in where I forgot
to mention, it's rather late. ;)
(it's 1:38am, do you know where your child processes are?)

What i'd reccommend is you go to a store where
you can actually hold a Pocket PC in your hands
and try it out for a bit to get the feel for it.

~S.

bk4646@hotmail.com (wjk) wrote in news:70f034a4.0404100521.40a8ea98
@posting.google.com:

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

Ok, I am biased because I Love my Pocket PC but here is my opinion... If you
want an organizer, day planner of sorts with great battery life then stick
with Palm. If you want a full featured workhorse then go with Pocket PC. To
me its like comparing a word processor to a typewriter. Though the new Palms
offer more than before they just don't offer the out of the box
compatibility with Windows desktops that Pocket PCs do. Add the fact that
you are also getting a great mobile multimedia device with incomparable
graphics and great web experiences and..well...

I suggest you got to a local store and spend some time with one to help you
decide.

All in all Palms do what they do well...organize. Pocket PCs handle that and
everything else!

Hope this helps.

Wayne Mahon
PurePockets
http://www.purepockets.com
waynem@purepockets.com

"wjk" <bk4646@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am a die-hard Palm user since 1997. I like the form/factor of the
> Axim X3, small light, etc. But I am not convinced that the PPC is as
> stable and easy-to-use as the Palm platform.
>
> I like robust apps like Work/Excel and I like the removable batteries
> and large screen, but I need some convincing. Please offer your PPC
> advice.
>
> Thanks!
April 11, 2004 11:01:51 AM

I think most of the complaints about pocketpc being hard to use, are really saying that it different than palm and it takes a bit of time to change from one interface to another. In reality some things will be easier and some will be harder to navigate. Since you've used palm for some time I would expect some things to be confusing at first, but in the end there is so much more built into the pocketpc os.

nntp://news.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.pocketpc/<Xns94C810C0AEEB9FearIsTheMindKiller@207.46.248.16>

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

[microsoft.public.pocketpc]
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 2:23:27 PM

"wjk" <bk4646@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am a die-hard Palm user since 1997. I like the form/factor of the
> Axim X3, small light, etc. But I am not convinced that the PPC is as
> stable and easy-to-use as the Palm platform.
>
> I like robust apps like Work/Excel and I like the removable batteries
> and large screen, but I need some convincing. Please offer your PPC
> advice.
>
> Thanks!

I also was a diehard Palm user until the iPAQ was released, which I was so
impressed with. I now have an iPAQ 5450 with WM2003 which is terrific for
all the reasons given elswhere. However when in the USA last year I picked
up a Palm Tungston T3 which is also amazing. Landscape/portrait on the fly.
MP3 player, Plays video. Stores photos and will sync with Outlook if wanted.
Plus bluetooth which alows me to browse the internet via the GPRS on my
phone.
I now find that I have a real problem as to which to use, finding the palm
being used as much if not more.

Sorry to ramble !!

Iain
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 2:23:28 PM

Great feedback. Thanks folks!!

Still haven't pulled the trigger on the PPC, but I am getting close.

"Iain Stewart-Breakey" <iain.sb@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<O2#RR$GIEHA.3248@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> "wjk" <bk4646@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I am a die-hard Palm user since 1997. I like the form/factor of the
> > Axim X3, small light, etc. But I am not convinced that the PPC is as
> > stable and easy-to-use as the Palm platform.
> >
> > I like robust apps like Work/Excel and I like the removable batteries
> > and large screen, but I need some convincing. Please offer your PPC
> > advice.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> I also was a diehard Palm user until the iPAQ was released, which I was so
> impressed with. I now have an iPAQ 5450 with WM2003 which is terrific for
> all the reasons given elswhere. However when in the USA last year I picked
> up a Palm Tungston T3 which is also amazing. Landscape/portrait on the fly.
> MP3 player, Plays video. Stores photos and will sync with Outlook if wanted.
> Plus bluetooth which alows me to browse the internet via the GPRS on my
> phone.
> I now find that I have a real problem as to which to use, finding the palm
> being used as much if not more.
>
> Sorry to ramble !!
>
> Iain
April 12, 2004 6:54:20 PM

Hi,

I was like you until 3 weeks ago. A die hard Palm user since 98 and always
had a jaded view of the PPC.

However, a colleague at work gave me his to play with and after about 30
minutes or so, I was in love.

What makes the PPC so much better for me is ActiveSync. Unlike a Palm where
you have to explicitly synch, ActiveSync does it all automatically in the
background when the unit is cradled. And it does it real-time. If you get a
new mail, it's immediately sync'ed to your PPC.

This means when I leave my desk or finish up for the day, just whip it out
of the cradle and it's up to date. I love this feature.

The screen size is awesome. Sound is excellent, the input methods and
choices of methods make it very user friendly. Yes, the battery life is
certainly lower than that of the Palm, but not by much and as long as you're
prudent, you can get away with it. But the PPC does allow you to hot-swap
batteries on the fly so I just carry a long-life replacement battery and
it's all good.

I'd seriously have a think about it. I've been sick and tired of the slow
pace at which Palm have moved in adopting new technology. I'm also sick of
the new releases every few months, and I've been bitten too often by Palm.
Pocket Word and Excel are (contrary to what I read prior to purchasing) very
good applications. They convert well and have more features to the Palm
equivalents. You can convert MS Access databases, use Windows Media player,
it comes with a great Today screen, and you can sync ALL fields from
Outlook - this has also been a major bug bear with Palm conduits. For
instance, simple things like meeting attendees, all mail fields, all contact
fields are synch'ed. A real bonus.

So, as I said, give it a serious look, wiehg up what you really want a PDA
for. I consider myself a power user and Palms simply weren't satisfying me.
The PPC's are feature rich and the Windows look-and-feel, although some
would argue is a negative, is actually a positive in my mind. I'm not your
standard Bill Gates hater, I actually don't mind using MS software, so this
isn't a barrier for me anyway.

Happy to exchange thoughts or answer questions directly if you wish to mail
me.

Good luck with your decision.

Pete
"wjk" <bk4646@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am a die-hard Palm user since 1997. I like the form/factor of the
> Axim X3, small light, etc. But I am not convinced that the PPC is as
> stable and easy-to-use as the Palm platform.
>
> I like robust apps like Work/Excel and I like the removable batteries
> and large screen, but I need some convincing. Please offer your PPC
> advice.
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 12:47:20 AM

Bought the Axim X3i
Thanks folks!

> Great feedback. Thanks folks!!
>
> Still haven't pulled the trigger on the PPC, but I am getting close.
>

> "Iain Stewart-Breakey" <iain.sb@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > "wjk" <bk4646@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I am a die-hard Palm user since 1997. I like the form/factor of the
> > > Axim X3, small light, etc. But I am not convinced that the PPC is as
> > > stable and easy-to-use as the Palm platform.
> > >
> > > I like robust apps like Work/Excel and I like the removable batteries
> > > and large screen, but I need some convincing. Please offer your PPC
> > > advice.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> >
> > I also was a diehard Palm user until the iPAQ was released, which I was
so
> > impressed with. I now have an iPAQ 5450 with WM2003 which is terrific
for
> > all the reasons given elswhere. However when in the USA last year I
picked
> > up a Palm Tungston T3 which is also amazing. Landscape/portrait on the
fly.
> > MP3 player, Plays video. Stores photos and will sync with Outlook if
wanted.
> > Plus bluetooth which alows me to browse the internet via the GPRS on my
> > phone.
> > I now find that I have a real problem as to which to use, finding the
palm
> > being used as much if not more.
> >
> > Sorry to ramble !!
> >
> > Iain
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 12:28:31 PM

Think you will like the change. The OS's are of course very different, but
you will find out you can do all kinds of things that a Palm will not do.

--
Tedd Riggs
PDA Square Content Developer

!