Looking for a cheapy card for 2nd PC

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

What can you recommend for around £60 (ukp) ish? I have a spare pc which I
would like to use for gaming when someone comes over.

I have seen a BFG FX5200 256Mb PCI for £75 retail (£65 online). Is this a
good buy or can you suggest a better band for my buck?

Like everyone I suppose, I want the most for the least ;))

The 5200, even with 256 MB of RAM, is Nvidia's entry level card and is very
slowww. You would NOT like using it for modern games.

--
DaveW

"John" <usenet.post@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> What can you recommend for around £60 (ukp) ish? I have a spare pc which I
> would like to use for gaming when someone comes over.
>
> I have seen a BFG FX5200 256Mb PCI for £75 retail (£65 online). Is this a
> good buy or can you suggest a better band for my buck?
>
> Like everyone I suppose, I want the most for the least ;))

"John" <usenet.post@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

" I have seen a BFG FX5200 256Mb PCI for £75 retail (£65 online). Is this a
good buy or can you suggest a better band for my buck? "

What's the rest of your system? Do you not have an AGP port? For around
£60, the best advice would be to get one of the following from eBay.co.uk.

DirectX9:
- GeForce FX 5600 Ultra 128MB
- GeForce FX 5700 128MB
- GeForce FX 5700 256MB
- GeForce FX 5700 Ultra 128MB
(avoid the 'XT' and 'LE' versions)

DirectX8.1:
- GeForce 4 Ti4200 128MB
- GeForce 4 Ti4200-8X 128MB
- GeForce 4 Ti4400 128MB
- GeForce 4 Ti4800SE 128MB
- GeForce 4 Ti4600 128MB
- GeForce 4 Ti4800 128MB

You can compare the specs of the 'Ti' cards at http://snipurl.com/8y4i , and
you can find a detailed comparison of all the cards at
http://snipurl.com/857m

martin

John wrote:
> What can you recommend for around £60 (ukp) ish? I have a spare pc
> which I would like to use for gaming when someone comes over.
>
> I have seen a BFG FX5200 256Mb PCI for £75 retail (£65 online). Is
> this a good buy or can you suggest a better band for my buck?
>
> Like everyone I suppose, I want the most for the least ;))

I have a Geforce Ti 4600 128MB which you can have for £40 delivered. Leave a
munged email address here if you are interested.

Regards

Martin

SP

I bought a FX5200 and it was the worst money i have ever spent. If your
using it for 2d work it'll be fine but dont u have a AGP slot?

sp

"John" <usenet.post@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> What can you recommend for around £60 (ukp) ish? I have a spare pc which I
> would like to use for gaming when someone comes over.
>
> I have seen a BFG FX5200 256Mb PCI for £75 retail (£65 online). Is this a
> good buy or can you suggest a better band for my buck?
>
> Like everyone I suppose, I want the most for the least ;))

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

FYI I do have an AGP slot but fancied a PCI card for 2 reasons:
1. Looked good, both specs (on box) and the fact that it came overclocked
from BFG
2. Might have come in handy if or when I tried to reflash my Aeolus FX5900
to a 5950, had things gone wrong.

Specs for 2nd PC are:

AMD 1700XP, 512Mb, Epox 8KHA+ mobo. Nothing fancy.