Sign in with
Your question

NVidia optimus / intel core i7 issues

Last response: in Windows 7
November 22, 2010 2:23:29 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm having issues with my laptop, Asus U30JC, intel core i7 620M, nVidia 310m, Win 7 pro x64.
I have random BSOD, the maximum time without having BSOD is about 3 hours.
When I launch a game, for example Fifa 11 or Need For Speed Shift, it runs perfectly for a couple of minutes, then crash (randomly), and came back to windows without particular reason.

I have the last nVidia drivers 260.99, and the last intel drivers 15.17.12.64.2226 (8.15.10.2226).
I have tried many different version of both intel and nvidia driver but nothing have change.

Could someone help me?

Thanks
November 25, 2010 12:02:19 AM

I take it that its a fairly new laptop with warrently still with that spec? If so thats a good start in case it needs to go back to be replaced or repaired.

But if the BSOD flicks up then restarts, you need to enable it to stay to get the error code to try and root out hte issue:

Enable BSOD display and get error information from there.

1. Right click 'My Computer'. Select 'Properties'.

2. Select the 'Advanced' tab.

3. Click the 'Settings' button in 'Startup and Recovery' section.

4. A new window will open. Under 'System failure', un tick 'automatically restart'.

This will prevent the computer from automatically rebooting. However, it wont cure the error. Instead it will display a blue screen containing error code. In the blue screen look for something similar to STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0x805E0097,0xF02A17D4,0x00000000) <--Error code has similar format to this

5. Go to this useful site: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm and locate the section relevant to your error code. (Match the first 10 digits after the word 'STOP'. In above case 0x0000008E).

(Push the 'reset' button on your computer to restart from a Blue screen display. If you want the system to reboot like before (without blue screen display), simply tick the 'Automatically Restart' again in Startup and Recovery section mentioned earlier.

You can also use the Crash Dump (.DMP) files which Windows saves in /Windows/Minidump directory to diagnose source of error. But these files will look like bullshit to you if you dont know what you are doing.

Happy Diagnosing!
m
l
November 25, 2010 6:45:32 AM

tizz said:
I take it that its a fairly new laptop with warrently still with that spec? If so thats a good start in case it needs to go back to be replaced or repaired.

But if the BSOD flicks up then restarts, you need to enable it to stay to get the error code to try and root out hte issue:

Enable BSOD display and get error information from there.

1. Right click 'My Computer'. Select 'Properties'.

2. Select the 'Advanced' tab.

3. Click the 'Settings' button in 'Startup and Recovery' section.

4. A new window will open. Under 'System failure', un tick 'automatically restart'.

This will prevent the computer from automatically rebooting. However, it wont cure the error. Instead it will display a blue screen containing error code. In the blue screen look for something similar to STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0x805E0097,0xF02A17D4,0x00000000) <--Error code has similar format to this

5. Go to this useful site: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm and locate the section relevant to your error code. (Match the first 10 digits after the word 'STOP'. In above case 0x0000008E).

(Push the 'reset' button on your computer to restart from a Blue screen display. If you want the system to reboot like before (without blue screen display), simply tick the 'Automatically Restart' again in Startup and Recovery section mentioned earlier.

You can also use the Crash Dump (.DMP) files which Windows saves in /Windows/Minidump directory to diagnose source of error. But these files will look like bullshit to you if you dont know what you are doing.

Happy Diagnosing!

Thanks for your reply. I have already sent it once for repair, it came back with a brand new HDD, but still having bsod :sarcastic: 

I have re installed the nvidia drivers and ticked the full install option (as I did before) and since that, no more bsod...
I don't understand why it worked this time :heink: 

For the diagnostic it was always ntoskrnl.exe in cause, and many different reasons, IRQ LESS OR EQUAL, BAD POOL HEADER...
I hope it won't happen again and keep in mind your diagnostic method.

Thanks again.
m
l
September 4, 2011 11:45:59 AM

IRQ LESS OR EQUAL, BAD POOL HEADER... means that your memory is bad or not up to spec. BTW your laptop requires 1066MHZ WHICH MEANS YOU CANT INSTALLED ANYTHING BELOW THAT!!!!!
m
l
!