Geforce 5200 problems when selecting 8x in bios

Smoggie

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

Hi

I bought a AK77-600GN motherboard two weeks ago after a new cpu blow my
A7V8X-X motherboard ;( but every time I want to play any game when the apg
is set to 8x in bios I have noticed that there is a lot of graphical
glitches (
http://members.lycos.co.uk/smogtastic1/when_agp_is_set_at_8x.avi ) but when
the apg is set to 4x everything is fine and clear.

the graphics card I have is a GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR and the games that
have 'this' problem when agp is at 8x are Secret Weapons Over Normandy,
Delta Force Black Hawk Down, Joint Operations Typhoon Rising, GTA- Vice City
and Lock On, the only games that without any problems are Counter Strike
Condition Zero and The Simpsons Hit & Run.

I installed the 4in1 drivers for the motherboard before I installed my gfx
card drivers, I’ve also installed the latest bios for my motherboard to see
if that was the problem but wasn't, and have been told from the tech support
for my motherboard that its most likely to be graphics card, but the tech
support for my graphics card says its the motherboard (tho my old
motherboard never had the problem)

But anyone knows what might be causing it to show lots of graphical glitches
during games when the agp slot is at 8x? I’m hoping to try the graphics card
in my sisters pc tomorrow as she's just got a new motherboard (she's
up-grading hers rather than it blowing up mine)

PC specs are

Amd Athlon 1900+
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (with the 61.77 drivers installed)
1280MB DDR PC2100 (should point out that i've tested each module of ram and
still get problems)
AK77-600GN motherboard (with the latest bios 1.6 and it supports 8x agp
cards)
Windows XP sp1
Hauppauge WinTV-Express TV Tuner PCI card (with the latest drivers but also
tested with the card out and still get the same problem)
2x Western Digital Caviar 80Gb 7200rpm EIDE Hard Drive
400W PSU

Smoggie wrote:

> I bought a AK77-600GN motherboard two weeks ago after a new cpu blow my
> A7V8X-X motherboard ;( but every time I want to play any game when the apg
> is set to 8x in bios I have noticed that there is a lot of graphical
> glitches (
> http://members.lycos.co.uk/smogtastic1/when_agp_is_set_at_8x.avi ) but when
> the apg is set to 4x everything is fine and clear.

Just leave it on AGP 4x. The performance advantage is neglectable,
especially with a slow video card like the 5200.
AGP 8x is most useful for marketing.

André

Smoggie

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

"André Janz" <ALDUBOFMWIGO@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> Smoggie wrote:
>
> > I bought a AK77-600GN motherboard two weeks ago after a new cpu blow my
> > A7V8X-X motherboard ;( but every time I want to play any game when the
apg
> > is set to 8x in bios I have noticed that there is a lot of graphical
> > glitches (
> > http://members.lycos.co.uk/smogtastic1/when_agp_is_set_at_8x.avi ) but
when
> > the apg is set to 4x everything is fine and clear.
>
> Just leave it on AGP 4x. The performance advantage is neglectable,
> especially with a slow video card like the 5200.
> AGP 8x is most useful for marketing.

fixed it now, seems it was down to a driver problem

seems in device manager - system devices it was showing up as via cpu to apg
2.0\agp3.0 controller so tried updating the driver and instead of it asking
where the driver was located (i from cd or floppy etc in the advanced bit),
i choose "dont search , i will choose the driver to installed" picked via to
agp controller and when selected the agp to run at 8x in bios, i dont
getting any of that graphical glitching that i got before as shown in this
link