Geforce 6800 Problems

Just bought a 6800 vanilla graphics card - ie the 128 MB version and I
am having a few probs. Doom 3 ran OK on low quality on my Geforce 5600
at 1280 x 1024 but with the 6800 it runs worse - well it runs OK but
seems to stop every now and again and kind of judder which renders it
unplayable. Never did it on the 5600. Also, the tinbury demo from the
nvidia site runs about 4 frames a second and the clear saiing and
mermaid - (nalu?) don't work at all - just a black screen with the
control menus at the top ????

Using a 350 Watt power supply, Athlon 2500 XP barton 333mhz - 512MB
ram, windows XP pro and SP 2 - freshly unstalled the other day and
nvidia drivers 61.77. Oh, and direct X 9c. Yup, not the latest system
I know but I suspect something somewhere is a bit iffy. From what I
have read on even the basic 6800 I should be able to run doome 3 on HQ
at 1280 x 1024 with no probs. (FSAA is off by the way)

ANy suggestions ? can;t believe the 6800 isn;t that much better than
the 5600 ? NOt after spending £170 on it anyway.

I had the same problem and it was simple. Reinstall Doom III and other
games. I am guessing that they dont recognize the new card or didnt update.
Just try Doom III first , I'll bet it works.
"DK" <pdavey@tesco.net> wrote in message
> Just bought a 6800 vanilla graphics card - ie the 128 MB version and I
> am having a few probs. Doom 3 ran OK on low quality on my Geforce 5600
> at 1280 x 1024 but with the 6800 it runs worse - well it runs OK but
> seems to stop every now and again and kind of judder which renders it
> unplayable. Never did it on the 5600. Also, the tinbury demo from the
> nvidia site runs about 4 frames a second and the clear saiing and
> mermaid - (nalu?) don't work at all - just a black screen with the
> control menus at the top ????
>
> Using a 350 Watt power supply, Athlon 2500 XP barton 333mhz - 512MB
> ram, windows XP pro and SP 2 - freshly unstalled the other day and
> nvidia drivers 61.77. Oh, and direct X 9c. Yup, not the latest system
> I know but I suspect something somewhere is a bit iffy. From what I
> have read on even the basic 6800 I should be able to run doome 3 on HQ
> at 1280 x 1024 with no probs. (FSAA is off by the way)
>
> ANy suggestions ? can;t believe the 6800 isn;t that much better than
> the 5600 ? NOt after spending £170 on it anyway.

It sounds like you may be using an inexpensive (cheap)
"350 Watt" power supply unit that cannot actually deliver anywhere near that
much wattage into a real world load. (This is a common problem.) I would
adise that you try installing a higher output HIGH QUALITY (Antec, etc.)
power supply and you may well find your problem solved.

--
DaveW

"DK" <pdavey@tesco.net> wrote in message
> Just bought a 6800 vanilla graphics card - ie the 128 MB version and I
> am having a few probs. Doom 3 ran OK on low quality on my Geforce 5600
> at 1280 x 1024 but with the 6800 it runs worse - well it runs OK but
> seems to stop every now and again and kind of judder which renders it
> unplayable. Never did it on the 5600. Also, the tinbury demo from the
> nvidia site runs about 4 frames a second and the clear saiing and
> mermaid - (nalu?) don't work at all - just a black screen with the
> control menus at the top ????
>
> Using a 350 Watt power supply, Athlon 2500 XP barton 333mhz - 512MB
> ram, windows XP pro and SP 2 - freshly unstalled the other day and
> nvidia drivers 61.77. Oh, and direct X 9c. Yup, not the latest system
> I know but I suspect something somewhere is a bit iffy. From what I
> have read on even the basic 6800 I should be able to run doome 3 on HQ
> at 1280 x 1024 with no probs. (FSAA is off by the way)
>
> ANy suggestions ? can;t believe the 6800 isn;t that much better than
> the 5600 ? NOt after spending £170 on it anyway.

stevo

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002

And make sure you do a clean install of the Nvidia drivers, i.e. totally
remove the any other drivers with something like driver cleaner 3.0 (google
it). To make Nalu and Clear Sailing work on my system I had to update my
Mobo drivers too. A new 500W PSU may have helped too.

My system still doesn't run Timbury demo though.

> It sounds like you may be using an inexpensive (cheap)
> "350 Watt" power supply unit that cannot actually deliver anywhere near
> that much wattage into a real world load. (This is a common problem.) I
> would adise that you try installing a higher output HIGH QUALITY (Antec,
> etc.) power supply and you may well find your problem solved.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "DK" <pdavey@tesco.net> wrote in message
>> Just bought a 6800 vanilla graphics card - ie the 128 MB version and I
>> am having a few probs. Doom 3 ran OK on low quality on my Geforce 5600
>> at 1280 x 1024 but with the 6800 it runs worse - well it runs OK but
>> seems to stop every now and again and kind of judder which renders it
>> unplayable. Never did it on the 5600. Also, the tinbury demo from the
>> nvidia site runs about 4 frames a second and the clear saiing and
>> mermaid - (nalu?) don't work at all - just a black screen with the
>> control menus at the top ????
>>
>> Using a 350 Watt power supply, Athlon 2500 XP barton 333mhz - 512MB
>> ram, windows XP pro and SP 2 - freshly unstalled the other day and
>> nvidia drivers 61.77. Oh, and direct X 9c. Yup, not the latest system
>> I know but I suspect something somewhere is a bit iffy. From what I
>> have read on even the basic 6800 I should be able to run doome 3 on HQ
>> at 1280 x 1024 with no probs. (FSAA is off by the way)
>>
>> ANy suggestions ? can;t believe the 6800 isn;t that much better than
>> the 5600 ? NOt after spending £170 on it anyway.

Problem sorted - got forceware 66.31 beta drivers and now all demos
work a treat and doom3 plays nice and smooth at 1024 x 768, high
quality with all options on !

Cheers