Hard drive keeps being accessed??

Got a new FX5900XT card, and obviously turned games up to higher resolutions
and detail settings, and they look great, however all the time I am playing,
the hard drive keeps clicking away, and therefore makes the game really
jerky.

I am running a P4 2.2 processor, and only have 512mb of RAM, so am sort of
thinking that could be the problem.

I get 46.2 FPS on the timedemo in D3, when I run it the second time, as the
first time, it just chugs along, accessing the HD.

Is there anything else I need to check, and if I need more RAM, how do I
check what type I have at the moment, without opening up my PC.

UT2004 does exactly the same thing, BTW.

Thanks in anticipation of your advice,

Chris
4 answers Last reply
More about hard drive accessed

    "Evil Uncle Chris" <chris.macnamara@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Got a new FX5900XT card, and obviously turned games up to higher
    resolutions
    > and detail settings, and they look great, however all the time I am
    playing,
    > the hard drive keeps clicking away, and therefore makes the game really
    > jerky.
    >
    > I am running a P4 2.2 processor, and only have 512mb of RAM, so am sort of
    > thinking that could be the problem.
    >
    > I get 46.2 FPS on the timedemo in D3, when I run it the second time, as
    the
    > first time, it just chugs along, accessing the HD.
    >
    > Is there anything else I need to check, and if I need more RAM, how do I
    > check what type I have at the moment, without opening up my PC.
    >
    > UT2004 does exactly the same thing, BTW.
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation of your advice,
    >

    > Chris

    For checking your RAM specs (and much more system info), download Everest
    (Home Edition) from http://www.lavalys.com/

    When you're experiencing slow-downs, I'd suggest hitting Ctrl-Alt-Delete and
    firing up the task manager. Look for any processes that are using up lots of
    memory besides your game.

    > I am running a P4 2.2 processor, and only have 512mb of RAM, so am sort of
    > thinking that could be the problem.

    It is. You need a gig of memory for HQ mode.

    > I get 46.2 FPS on the timedemo in D3, when I run it the second time, as
    the
    > first time, it just chugs along, accessing the HD.

    It caches the textures on the 1st run so it's slower. You can also use
    timedemo demo1 1
    and it'll precache on the 1st run.

    Gary

    --

    Tweaks & Reviews
    www.slottweak.com

    Hi,

    Whenever I play intensive games like UT2004 I always do a clean boot
    beore hand.

    Select Start Menu and choose Run
    Type msconfig and select "Selective Startup"

    De-select the following:
    "Process SYSTM.INI File"
    "Process WIN.INI File"
    "Load Startup Items"

    You will be prompted to restart.

    Best regards,
    Paul

    GTX_SlotCar wrote:
    >>I am running a P4 2.2 processor, and only have 512mb of RAM, so am sort of
    >>thinking that could be the problem.
    >

    > It is. You need a gig of memory for HQ mode.
    >

    >>I get 46.2 FPS on the timedemo in D3, when I run it the second time, as
    >
    > the
    >
    >>first time, it just chugs along, accessing the HD.
    >

    > It caches the textures on the 1st run so it's slower. You can also use
    > timedemo demo1 1
    > and it'll precache on the 1st run.
    >
    > Gary

    I have 1.5GB of ram and using Doom 3's built in memory monitor I found I was
    running at 1.5GB in high Q mode and 1.8GB in ultra!

Nvidia Hard Drives Graphics