Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gateway EV910 A monitor

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
February 22, 2005 4:25:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Will this 19 inch (year 1999) multi-sysnch (Gateway) work on
my more typical IBM clone(PowerSpec) computer of same age?

The "A" on EV910 A ... does that mean Apple ... I use Win98
Sorry, I am new to this group. Dad

More about : gateway ev910 monitor

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 22, 2005 5:15:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Not sure what the A suffix means, but Gateway monitors are not proprietary.
Your EV910A should work just fine attached to another computer. If it works
fine right now, that is. :)  ... Ben Myers

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:25:02 GMT, "Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Will this 19 inch (year 1999) multi-sysnch (Gateway) work on
>my more typical IBM clone(PowerSpec) computer of same age?
>
>The "A" on EV910 A ... does that mean Apple ... I use Win98
>Sorry, I am new to this group. Dad
>
>
February 22, 2005 7:10:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Thanks Ben, for your info on the monitor, (should work on typ. computer)
....

Yes the monitor has an unusual (?) self-test. that gives a 3x7 inch
color-box
that steps down the screen saying
"monitor is OK , Check cable and computer-power ".

So monitor is showing this GOOD msg. prior to being plugged into computer.

Things are looking up. Perhaps someone else has more on this. Thanks, Dad

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
news:421a958f.14185844@nntp.charter.net...
> Not sure what the A suffix means, but Gateway monitors are not
proprietary.
> Your EV910A should work just fine attached to another computer. If it
works
> fine right now, that is. :)  ... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:25:02 GMT, "Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> >Will this 19 inch (year 1999) multi-sysnch (Gateway) work on
> >my more typical IBM clone(PowerSpec) computer of same age?
> >
> >The "A" on EV910 A ... does that mean Apple ... I use Win98
> >Sorry, I am new to this group. Dad
> >
> >
>
Related resources
February 23, 2005 12:00:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

I queried Gateway (via tech e'mail) and their answer is that the EV910A will
NOT work with any computer (only with a Gateway ... and that Gateway must
have driver for EV910A to work). Thus, I am shot-down on this good monitor,
and will have to stick with my 14 inch Sony monitor. Thanks. Dad

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
news:421a958f.14185844@nntp.charter.net...
> Not sure what the A suffix means, but Gateway monitors are not
proprietary.
> Your EV910A should work just fine attached to another computer. If it
works
> fine right now, that is. :)  ... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:25:02 GMT, "Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> >Will this 19 inch (year 1999) multi-sysnch (Gateway) work on
> >my more typical IBM clone(PowerSpec) computer of same age?
> >
> >The "A" on EV910 A ... does that mean Apple ... I use Win98
> >Sorry, I am new to this group. Dad
> >
> >
>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 23, 2005 12:00:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:00:53 GMT, "Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>I queried Gateway (via tech e'mail) and their answer is that the EV910A will
>NOT work with any computer (only with a Gateway ... and that Gateway must
>have driver for EV910A to work). Thus, I am shot-down on this good monitor,
>and will have to stick with my 14 inch Sony monitor. Thanks. Dad

Gateway lied .
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 23, 2005 12:03:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

You got bad support.
Gateway monitors are not proprietary.
Try it and prove that tech wrong.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/


"Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:94NSd.66839$Th1.59335@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>I queried Gateway (via tech e'mail) and their answer is that the EV910A
>will
> NOT work with any computer (only with a Gateway ... and that Gateway must
> have driver for EV910A to work). Thus, I am shot-down on this good
> monitor,
> and will have to stick with my 14 inch Sony monitor. Thanks. Dad
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 23, 2005 12:04:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

I agree, I have used Gateway monitors on other computers and vice versa with
absolutely no problems. You talked to a tech support (?) who completely
lacks knowledge. You may have to check to see what refresh and scan rates
are appropriate but that is of minor difficulty.

"Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
news:37NSd.36$38.31@clgrps12...
> You got bad support.
> Gateway monitors are not proprietary.
> Try it and prove that tech wrong.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>
>
> "Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> news:94NSd.66839$Th1.59335@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>>I queried Gateway (via tech e'mail) and their answer is that the EV910A
>>will
>> NOT work with any computer (only with a Gateway ... and that Gateway must
>> have driver for EV910A to work). Thus, I am shot-down on this good
>> monitor,
>> and will have to stick with my 14 inch Sony monitor. Thanks. Dad
>
>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 23, 2005 2:22:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Total rubbish as a response from Gateway tech support !!! Gateway does not make
and has never "made" proprietary monitors. Gateway sells OEM monitors made to
industry-standard specifications with a little Gateway logo attached and a
sticker on the back that says "Gateway".

What you're seeing here is a trend, nay, an epidemic, in the industry to
know-nothing tech support. Gateway is no worse than HP or Dell, and certainly
no better.

Plug the EV910A into your non-Gateway computer and enjoy it... Ben Myers

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:00:53 GMT, "Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I queried Gateway (via tech e'mail) and their answer is that the EV910A will
>NOT work with any computer (only with a Gateway ... and that Gateway must
>have driver for EV910A to work). Thus, I am shot-down on this good monitor,
>and will have to stick with my 14 inch Sony monitor. Thanks. Dad
>
><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>news:421a958f.14185844@nntp.charter.net...
>> Not sure what the A suffix means, but Gateway monitors are not
>proprietary.
>> Your EV910A should work just fine attached to another computer. If it
>works
>> fine right now, that is. :)  ... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:25:02 GMT, "Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Will this 19 inch (year 1999) multi-sysnch (Gateway) work on
>> >my more typical IBM clone(PowerSpec) computer of same age?
>> >
>> >The "A" on EV910 A ... does that mean Apple ... I use Win98
>> >Sorry, I am new to this group. Dad
>> >
>> >
>>
>
>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 23, 2005 4:10:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Probably not.
A misinformed tech is a long way from "Gateway lied"
There may be a training issue or a number of other possibilities but none
suggest a lie.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/


"Perry" <perry@perrymarlin.com> wrote in message
> Gateway lied .
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 23, 2005 4:10:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Jupiter Jones wrote:
> Probably not.
> A misinformed tech is a long way from "Gateway lied"
> There may be a training issue or a number of other possibilities but none
> suggest a lie.
>

The lie was calling it tech. support.
February 23, 2005 4:22:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Thanks for the heads up on the tech answer ... my wife and I had just
carried this monitor
into the unused (cold) store-room. The Gateway driver list did not have the
'910' listed
.... so is it possible that BOTH you and the tech are right, (it will work
.... yet it wont work).

To clarify that, perhaps the only way to get at the
brightness/contrast/position/size is via
some software function key that is NOT on the Win keyboard. (This monitor
has only one
2 inch dia. wheel-knob in center, behind the lower-front snap-open door ...
there are no
controls ... a label says to read the monitor instruction to set those
functions, with knob).

Perhaps there is someone that can clarify how the EV910 (sim. wheel) is used
to set those ?
For some reason, the EV910A seems not part of the Gateway driver list for
Windows app.
I am willing to plug it in and try it ... IF I can set those necessary
screen controls. Dad

"Perry" <perry@perrymarlin.com> wrote in message
news:eqjn11t3s2n0u5fblclnj1hhaps3uoq93t@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:00:53 GMT, "Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I queried Gateway (via tech e'mail) and their answer is that the EV910A
will
> >NOT work with any computer (only with a Gateway ... and that Gateway must
> >have driver for EV910A to work). Thus, I am shot-down on this good
monitor,
> >and will have to stick with my 14 inch Sony monitor. Thanks. Dad
>
> Gateway lied .
>
February 23, 2005 4:22:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

http://support.gateway.com/s/MONITOR/7002691/700269105....

Try the above site. You have to press the indentation on the wheel to get to
the various settings.

Jack

"Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:rVQSd.67499$Th1.4025@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Thanks for the heads up on the tech answer ... my wife and I had just
> carried this monitor
> into the unused (cold) store-room. The Gateway driver list did not have
> the
> '910' listed
> ... so is it possible that BOTH you and the tech are right, (it will work
> ... yet it wont work).
>
> To clarify that, perhaps the only way to get at the
> brightness/contrast/position/size is via
> some software function key that is NOT on the Win keyboard. (This monitor
> has only one
> 2 inch dia. wheel-knob in center, behind the lower-front snap-open door
> ...
> there are no
> controls ... a label says to read the monitor instruction to set those
> functions, with knob).
>
> Perhaps there is someone that can clarify how the EV910 (sim. wheel) is
> used
> to set those ?
> For some reason, the EV910A seems not part of the Gateway driver list for
> Windows app.
> I am willing to plug it in and try it ... IF I can set those necessary
> screen controls. Dad
>
> "Perry" <perry@perrymarlin.com> wrote in message
> news:eqjn11t3s2n0u5fblclnj1hhaps3uoq93t@4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:00:53 GMT, "Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I queried Gateway (via tech e'mail) and their answer is that the EV910A
> will
>> >NOT work with any computer (only with a Gateway ... and that Gateway
>> >must
>> >have driver for EV910A to work). Thus, I am shot-down on this good
> monitor,
>> >and will have to stick with my 14 inch Sony monitor. Thanks. Dad
>>
>> Gateway lied .
>>
>
>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 23, 2005 4:55:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Plug in the monitor.
Press the wheel.
There will be many choices presented.
Simply turn the wheel so the desired item is highlighted.
Press the wheel and then turn to make adjustment as appropriate.
Press the wheel again.
Now you can select another option or Exit.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/


"Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:rVQSd.67499$Th1.4025@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Thanks for the heads up on the tech answer ... my wife and I had just
> carried this monitor
> into the unused (cold) store-room. The Gateway driver list did not have
> the
> '910' listed
> ... so is it possible that BOTH you and the tech are right, (it will work
> ... yet it wont work).
>
> To clarify that, perhaps the only way to get at the
> brightness/contrast/position/size is via
> some software function key that is NOT on the Win keyboard. (This monitor
> has only one
> 2 inch dia. wheel-knob in center, behind the lower-front snap-open door
> ...
> there are no
> controls ... a label says to read the monitor instruction to set those
> functions, with knob).
>
> Perhaps there is someone that can clarify how the EV910 (sim. wheel) is
> used
> to set those ?
> For some reason, the EV910A seems not part of the Gateway driver list for
> Windows app.
> I am willing to plug it in and try it ... IF I can set those necessary
> screen controls. Dad
>
> "Perry" <perry@perrymarlin.com> wrote in message
> news:eqjn11t3s2n0u5fblclnj1hhaps3uoq93t@4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:00:53 GMT, "Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I queried Gateway (via tech e'mail) and their answer is that the EV910A
> will
>> >NOT work with any computer (only with a Gateway ... and that Gateway
>> >must
>> >have driver for EV910A to work). Thus, I am shot-down on this good
> monitor,
>> >and will have to stick with my 14 inch Sony monitor. Thanks. Dad
>>
>> Gateway lied .
>>
>
>
February 23, 2005 5:07:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

"Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:rVQSd.67499$Th1.4025@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Thanks for the heads up on the tech answer ...
my wife and I had just carried this monitor
> into the unused (cold) store-room.
The Gateway driver lis did not have the '910' listed
> ... so is it possible that BOTH you and the tech are right,
(it will work> ... yet it wont work).
------ S N I P ------- (see link below)

http://www.cost.com/micro411/gatewayev910.html

Just came across above ... 19 inch EV910 refurbished $ 89 ad ...
that seems to clarify and gives much hope. Also, it's possible that
one center-knob may have press-in-knob (switch) that cycles thru
the screen-controls (turn knob to adjust) ...then press knob in
until std. screen display.

Anyhow you can see the 910 there and marvel at the price.
Thanks to all of you ... I will just have to try it out. Dad

Ps: Will let you know what happens.
February 23, 2005 6:32:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Yes, Plugged it in ... Win 98SE Wizard asked where to try for driver (I said
try
Windows/cabs/drivers). Would you believe the computer went to Windows
100% full-color-screen > desktop perfect ...(with perfect icons)
AMAZING!!!.

Thanks everyone ... but in this case another tech ... bites the dust.

The knob-control functions seem complex and may NOT be fully
accessible with this driver but I have to learn how that knob/switch
works, (any problem there should be in the driver). Mouse does
not show pointer on top of adjust-pop-up-display however display is
perfect w/o adjustment. Will try to get monitor knob adj. instructions.

This reply is typed on the EV910A monitor ... all is OK. Dad

Did not have to adjust color, brightness, nor centering.
Thank you guys for giving me the confidence to try it (Age 81).

"Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:jzRSd.67609$Th1.48930@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...


> "Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> news:rVQSd.67499$Th1.4025@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > Thanks for the heads up on the tech answer ...
> my wife and I had just carried this monitor
> > into the unused (cold) store-room.
> The Gateway driver list did not have the '910' listed
> > ... so is it possible that BOTH you and the tech are right,
> (it will work> ... yet it wont work).
> ------ S N I P -------
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 23, 2005 7:20:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Well, people turn to newsgroups like this one out of frustration with the
abysmally low quality of vendor tech support, either on-line or phone. With
manufacturers competing on price and cutting margins to the bone, something has
to give somewhere to reduce costs. So tech support goes down the toilet.

I pity the poor tech support workers, whether in the US, Asia or anywhere else.
They are inexperienced and poorly trained, but cheap. I cannot imagine how it
would feel to go to the "office" (tech support cubicle with computer and
headset) and have to fake my way through a conversation with a customer because
I did not know a damned thing. But the tech support workers are cheap. VERY
low wages... Ben Myers

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 03:32:15 GMT, "Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Yes, Plugged it in ... Win 98SE Wizard asked where to try for driver (I said
>try
>Windows/cabs/drivers). Would you believe the computer went to Windows
>100% full-color-screen > desktop perfect ...(with perfect icons)
>AMAZING!!!.
>
>Thanks everyone ... but in this case another tech ... bites the dust.
>
>The knob-control functions seem complex and may NOT be fully
>accessible with this driver but I have to learn how that knob/switch
>works, (any problem there should be in the driver). Mouse does
>not show pointer on top of adjust-pop-up-display however display is
>perfect w/o adjustment. Will try to get monitor knob adj. instructions.
>
>This reply is typed on the EV910A monitor ... all is OK. Dad
>
>Did not have to adjust color, brightness, nor centering.
>Thank you guys for giving me the confidence to try it (Age 81).
>
>"Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>news:jzRSd.67609$Th1.48930@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>
>
>> "Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> news:rVQSd.67499$Th1.4025@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>> > Thanks for the heads up on the tech answer ...
>> my wife and I had just carried this monitor
>> > into the unused (cold) store-room.
>> The Gateway driver list did not have the '910' listed
>> > ... so is it possible that BOTH you and the tech are right,
>> (it will work> ... yet it wont work).
>> ------ S N I P -------
>
>
February 23, 2005 7:42:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Thanks for the help and insight Ben, the monitor seems to be working 100 %
and I put it in place of my 14" Sony. I may post another thread on the use
of
the complex operation of the single front knob. Perhaps that portion of
instruction
manual for the EV910 could be scanned and sent to me at Coffman1@att.net
The knob is working OK but there are so many operations that affect the pic.

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
news:421c038a.44760654@nntp.charter.net...
> Well, people turn to newsgroups like this one out of frustration with the
> abysmally low quality of vendor tech support, either on-line or phone.
With
> manufacturers competing on price and cutting margins to the bone,
something has
> to give somewhere to reduce costs. So tech support goes down the toilet.
>
> I pity the poor tech support workers, whether in the US, Asia or anywhere
else.
> They are inexperienced and poorly trained, but cheap. I cannot imagine
how it
> would feel to go to the "office" (tech support cubicle with computer and
> headset) and have to fake my way through a conversation with a customer
because
> I did not know a damned thing. But the tech support workers are cheap.
VERY
> low wages... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 03:32:15 GMT, "Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> >Yes, Plugged it in ... Win 98SE Wizard asked where to try for driver (I
said
> >try
> >Windows/cabs/drivers). Would you believe the computer went to Windows
> >100% full-color-screen > desktop perfect ...(with perfect icons)
> >AMAZING!!!.
> >
> >Thanks everyone ... but in this case another tech ... bites the dust.
> >
> >The knob-control functions seem complex and may NOT be fully
> >accessible with this driver but I have to learn how that knob/switch
> >works, (any problem there should be in the driver). Mouse does
> >not show pointer on top of adjust-pop-up-display however display is
> >perfect w/o adjustment. Will try to get monitor knob adj. instructions.
> >
> >This reply is typed on the EV910A monitor ... all is OK. Dad
> >
> >Did not have to adjust color, brightness, nor centering.
> >Thank you guys for giving me the confidence to try it (Age 81).
> >
> >"Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> >news:jzRSd.67609$Th1.48930@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> >
> >
> >> "Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> >> news:rVQSd.67499$Th1.4025@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> >> > Thanks for the heads up on the tech answer ...
> >> my wife and I had just carried this monitor
> >> > into the unused (cold) store-room.
> >> The Gateway driver list did not have the '910' listed
> >> > ... so is it possible that BOTH you and the tech are right,
> >> (it will work> ... yet it wont work).
> >> ------ S N I P -------
> >
> >
>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 25, 2005 3:09:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Ben... How about some pitty for the few fairly competant techs who have to
clean up the mess on follow up calls. It's always fun to have a customer
question my judgement because he's been shafted so many times. You can't
blame the customer for being wary. All the while the idiot fakers get good
call metrics and are rewarded accordingly.

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
news:421c038a.44760654@nntp.charter.net...
> Well, people turn to newsgroups like this one out of frustration with the
> abysmally low quality of vendor tech support, either on-line or phone.
With
> manufacturers competing on price and cutting margins to the bone,
something has
> to give somewhere to reduce costs. So tech support goes down the toilet.
>
> I pity the poor tech support workers, whether in the US, Asia or anywhere
else.
> They are inexperienced and poorly trained, but cheap. I cannot imagine
how it
> would feel to go to the "office" (tech support cubicle with computer and
> headset) and have to fake my way through a conversation with a customer
because
> I did not know a damned thing. But the tech support workers are cheap.
VERY
> low wages... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 03:32:15 GMT, "Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> >Yes, Plugged it in ... Win 98SE Wizard asked where to try for driver (I
said
> >try
> >Windows/cabs/drivers). Would you believe the computer went to Windows
> >100% full-color-screen > desktop perfect ...(with perfect icons)
> >AMAZING!!!.
> >
> >Thanks everyone ... but in this case another tech ... bites the dust.
> >
> >The knob-control functions seem complex and may NOT be fully
> >accessible with this driver but I have to learn how that knob/switch
> >works, (any problem there should be in the driver). Mouse does
> >not show pointer on top of adjust-pop-up-display however display is
> >perfect w/o adjustment. Will try to get monitor knob adj. instructions.
> >
> >This reply is typed on the EV910A monitor ... all is OK. Dad
> >
> >Did not have to adjust color, brightness, nor centering.
> >Thank you guys for giving me the confidence to try it (Age 81).
> >
> >"Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> >news:jzRSd.67609$Th1.48930@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> >
> >
> >> "Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> >> news:rVQSd.67499$Th1.4025@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> >> > Thanks for the heads up on the tech answer ...
> >> my wife and I had just carried this monitor
> >> > into the unused (cold) store-room.
> >> The Gateway driver list did not have the '910' listed
> >> > ... so is it possible that BOTH you and the tech are right,
> >> (it will work> ... yet it wont work).
> >> ------ S N I P -------
> >
> >
>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 25, 2005 4:16:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Yes, there are competent techs, but they are few and far between. Sadly, their
competence goes unrecognized by the management team, who measure employee
success with metrics only an accountant could love. As with any business
measurement, one has to question the consequences, unintended or not, of the
statistics gathered and used to rate employees. Tech support is a high burnout
job because companies hire on the cheap, companies train inadequately, the techs
have too little real world hands-on experience, and the techs have to put up
with rude and sometimes abusive callers. The consequence is that techs rarely
stay on the job long enough to become competent.

Although I could do a more than competent job in vendor tech support, no company
would pay me what I am worth, and I wouldn't trade places with a tech support
person anyway. At least in my own business as a sole proprietor of a computer
service company, I can politely decide not to deal with people when they are too
disrespectful. These sorts of decisions hit me in the pocketbook, because I've
walked away from potentially lucrative long-term hands-on tech support work when
company executive management has crossed over the line between reasonableness
and downright abusive treatment. I'm not rich, but I sleep at night and do not
have ulcers... Ben Myers

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:09:30 -0600, "pengulin" <apes@nd.edu> wrote:

>Ben... How about some pitty for the few fairly competant techs who have to
>clean up the mess on follow up calls. It's always fun to have a customer
>question my judgement because he's been shafted so many times. You can't
>blame the customer for being wary. All the while the idiot fakers get good
>call metrics and are rewarded accordingly.
>
><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>news:421c038a.44760654@nntp.charter.net...
>> Well, people turn to newsgroups like this one out of frustration with the
>> abysmally low quality of vendor tech support, either on-line or phone.
>With
>> manufacturers competing on price and cutting margins to the bone,
>something has
>> to give somewhere to reduce costs. So tech support goes down the toilet.
>>
>> I pity the poor tech support workers, whether in the US, Asia or anywhere
>else.
>> They are inexperienced and poorly trained, but cheap. I cannot imagine
>how it
>> would feel to go to the "office" (tech support cubicle with computer and
>> headset) and have to fake my way through a conversation with a customer
>because
>> I did not know a damned thing. But the tech support workers are cheap.
>VERY
>> low wages... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 03:32:15 GMT, "Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Yes, Plugged it in ... Win 98SE Wizard asked where to try for driver (I
>said
>> >try
>> >Windows/cabs/drivers). Would you believe the computer went to Windows
>> >100% full-color-screen > desktop perfect ...(with perfect icons)
>> >AMAZING!!!.
>> >
>> >Thanks everyone ... but in this case another tech ... bites the dust.
>> >
>> >The knob-control functions seem complex and may NOT be fully
>> >accessible with this driver but I have to learn how that knob/switch
>> >works, (any problem there should be in the driver). Mouse does
>> >not show pointer on top of adjust-pop-up-display however display is
>> >perfect w/o adjustment. Will try to get monitor knob adj. instructions.
>> >
>> >This reply is typed on the EV910A monitor ... all is OK. Dad
>> >
>> >Did not have to adjust color, brightness, nor centering.
>> >Thank you guys for giving me the confidence to try it (Age 81).
>> >
>> >"Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> >news:jzRSd.67609$Th1.48930@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>> >
>> >
>> >> "Dad" <coffmanh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> >> news:rVQSd.67499$Th1.4025@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>> >> > Thanks for the heads up on the tech answer ...
>> >> my wife and I had just carried this monitor
>> >> > into the unused (cold) store-room.
>> >> The Gateway driver list did not have the '910' listed
>> >> > ... so is it possible that BOTH you and the tech are right,
>> >> (it will work> ... yet it wont work).
>> >> ------ S N I P -------
>> >
>> >
>>
>
>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 26, 2005 6:36:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

(Big Smile) HEY FOLKS!!! The question was about a monitor..., remeber??
Geeeezz!!!
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 26, 2005 9:00:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Good observation. I did not realize that this was a moderated newsgroup. :) 

.... Ben Myers

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:36:49 GMT, "81mm" <res0n8e5@verizon.net> wrote:

>(Big Smile) HEY FOLKS!!! The question was about a monitor..., remeber??
>Geeeezz!!!
>
>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 27, 2005 4:43:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Yes.., God is watching..!! If the subject changes.., why not start another
thread so folks don't have to prowl through 25 posts before finding an
answer..?! Now, go your way with a kiss on the forehead (smile)!!
!