new video card overkill?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I'm thinking of putting a 6800 128mb into my current rig asus P4S533, P4
1.6a @ 2.1, 1 gig ram. Currently using Ti4200 128 mb. Overkill? (i.e. waste
of money?) Current 3d mark 2003 score approx. 1500, expecting at least
double with the new video card. Your comments appreciated. TIA

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I would think the score should be higher.

Can you upgrade the cpu any time soon?

I don't think it would be a waste...

"eng" <visione@po.jaring.my> wrote in message
> I'm thinking of putting a 6800 128mb into my current rig asus P4S533, P4
> 1.6a @ 2.1, 1 gig ram. Currently using Ti4200 128 mb. Overkill? (i.e.
> waste
> of money?) Current 3d mark 2003 score approx. 1500, expecting at least
> double with the new video card. Your comments appreciated. TIA

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

> I'm thinking of putting a 6800 128mb into my current rig asus P4S533, P4
> 1.6a @ 2.1, 1 gig ram. Currently using Ti4200 128 mb. Overkill? (i.e. waste
> of money?) Current 3d mark 2003 score approx. 1500, expecting at least
> double with the new video card. Your comments appreciated. TIA

Hopefully you're not planning on spending $300 to double your 3DMark03
score... that would be a waste of money. :)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I don't care about the 3d mark score, it's just a benchmark. If I can
improve my 3d mark score then real world 3d gaming performance would be
improved as well wouldn't it? I just want a smooth 3d gaming experience at
1024 x 768 will all eye candy turned on, AA, AF, etc. Not interested in
going beyond 1024 x 768. TIA

"Lachoneus" <lachoneus@nonexistent.invalid> wrote in message
> > I'm thinking of putting a 6800 128mb into my current rig asus P4S533, P4
> > 1.6a @ 2.1, 1 gig ram. Currently using Ti4200 128 mb. Overkill? (i.e.
waste
> > of money?) Current 3d mark 2003 score approx. 1500, expecting at least
> > double with the new video card. Your comments appreciated. TIA
>
> Hopefully you're not planning on spending $300 to double your 3DMark03
> score... that would be a waste of money. :)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Something is wrong (drivers or whatever) cause you should expect at least
7500, "03 is not CPU dependant at all (and your CPU is fine enough).

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

If you can get a current game (e.g. Far Cry, Doom3, FS2004) running at your
desired framerate at a low resolution (say, 640x480), then upgrading to a
6800 would not be a waste. Otherwise, your CPU will be the limiting factor.

By, 1.6"a", is it a Northwood S478 processor, with some upgrade headroom?

"eng" <visione@po.jaring.my> wrote in message
> I'm thinking of putting a 6800 128mb into my current rig asus P4S533, P4
> 1.6a @ 2.1, 1 gig ram. Currently using Ti4200 128 mb. Overkill? (i.e.
waste
> of money?) Current 3d mark 2003 score approx. 1500, expecting at least
> double with the new video card. Your comments appreciated. TIA

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Maybe you should wait for the upcomming 6600gt and 6600?

"eng" <visione@po.jaring.my> schreef in bericht
> I'm thinking of putting a 6800 128mb into my current rig asus P4S533, P4
> 1.6a @ 2.1, 1 gig ram. Currently using Ti4200 128 mb. Overkill? (i.e.
waste
> of money?) Current 3d mark 2003 score approx. 1500, expecting at least
> double with the new video card. Your comments appreciated. TIA

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

> Maybe you should wait for the upcomming 6600gt and 6600?

No, the extra pipes, and the possibility of rivatuner turning it into a
6800GT, make this a good purchase, even with his below average cpu.

I did something similar 2 years ago with a 700mhz athlon system.
Replaced a voodoo3 with a 9700pro, and it made a *huge* difference. Nolf2
for instance, ran smoothly at 1024x768. And the card lasted through another
mobo+cpu upgrade.

rms