Can't not compile Kernel Interface on Debian

I tried to compile the kernel interface for Debian.

I use the kernel 2.6.8-1-k7. I have installed:
- kernel-headers-2.6.8-1,
- kernel-headers-2.6.8-1-k7
- kernel-image-2.6.8-1-k7
- kernel-source-2.6.8

I have also copied the config file form /boot/config-2.6.8-1-k7 to
..config in /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8.

But, I always get en error! Does someone know this problem? (See Log-file)

tobi

==========================
nvidia-installer log file:

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Mon Sep 13 16:26:18 2004

option status:
license pre-accepted : false
update : false
force update : false
expert : false
uninstall : false
driver info : false
no precompiled interface: false
no ncurses color : false
query latest driver ver : false
OpenGL header files : false
no questions : false
silent : false
X install prefix : /usr/X11R6
OpenGL install prefix : /usr
Installer install prefix: /usr
kernel source path : /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8/
kernel install path : (not specified)
proc mount point : /proc
ui : (not specified)
tmpdir : /tmp
ftp site : ftp://download.nvidia.com

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
-> License accepted.
-> There appears to already be a driver installed on your system
(version: 1.0-
6111). As part of installing this driver (version: 1.0-6106), the
existing
driver will be uninstalled. Are you sure you want to continue?
('no' will a
bort installation) (Answer: Yes)
-> No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would
you li
ke the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your
kernel f
rom the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)? (Answer: Yes)
-> No matching precompiled kernel interface was found on the NVIDIA ftp
site;
this means that the installer will need to compile a kernel
interface for
your kernel.
-> Using the kernel source path '/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8/' as
specified by
the '--kernel-source-path' commandline option.
-> Kernel source path: '/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8/'
-> Performing cc_version_check with CC="cc".
ERROR:
If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
you either have configured kernel sources matching your
kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
on your system.

If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
installed on your system.
ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file
'/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find
suggestions
on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

tobias schrieb:

> I tried to compile the kernel interface for Debian.
>
> I use the kernel 2.6.8-1-k7. I have installed:
> - kernel-headers-2.6.8-1,
> - kernel-headers-2.6.8-1-k7
> - kernel-image-2.6.8-1-k7
> - kernel-source-2.6.8
>
> I have also copied the config file form /boot/config-2.6.8-1-k7 to
> .config in /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8.
>
> But, I always get en error! Does someone know this problem? (See Log-file)

Don't do this to yourself. Debian gets confused with the way Nvidia handles
the installation, so it comes down to DIY.

Follow the instructions on this page, you won't be disappointed. It may not
be the simplest way, but it's definitely the cleanest.

http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html

--

Bora Ugurlu
mailto:boraugurlu@yahoo.de