OpenGL weirdness under X11

I wrote a simple 3d model program using openGL and made it so that it
compiles under MS-windows or under X11. In X11 it works flawlessly.

However, in XFree it seems that shading is turned on, even when it is
explicitly disabled. If I rotate my model 180 degrees then it gets
brighter, then gets dim again when I restore the original orientation.

I'm using the latest NVIDIA openGL drivers for Xfree. Can anyone
confirm this as a problem or known issue?

no name wrote:
> I wrote a simple 3d model program using openGL and made it so that it
> compiles under MS-windows or under X11. In X11 it works flawlessly.
>
> However, in XFree it seems that shading is turned on, even when it is
> explicitly disabled. If I rotate my model 180 degrees then it gets
> brighter, then gets dim again when I restore the original orientation.
>
> I'm using the latest NVIDIA openGL drivers for Xfree. Can anyone
> confirm this as a problem or known issue?

Default lighting? The behavior you describe would indicate you are
orbiting the viewpoint and not the object independent of the lighting.

deimos <deimos@localhost.net> tried to express:
> no name wrote:
> Default lighting? The behavior you describe would indicate you are
> orbiting the viewpoint and not the object independent of the lighting.

Yes, but I've attempted to disable all (spot light) sources and my
understanding is that the default behavior should be 100% ambient
lighting from all directions. I think there might be a bug in the NVIDIA
opengl drivers that doesn't fully disable the spot lighting sources. I'm
wondering if anyone else has confirmed this.

I keep a constant viepoint vector and rotate the object instead of
moving the lookat vector. This behavior works in M$ windows but not
in the X11 opengl drivers.

I'm using glut and include a simple winmain macro to let the same program
compile under X11 or M$.

Tanks