GeForce 6800GT and AGP 4x

Hi all.
After reading what you guys have to say about it
I'm considering getting one. However, can you clarify
for me as to wether it will work in an AGP 4x slot
or will I need to upgrade the motherboard (and CPU).
Would it be worth getting before I do the upgrade?

My system is as follows:
AMD XP1800+
Gigabyte 7DXR+
GeForce4 mx440 64MB (AGP 4x version) from Leadtek
1GB RAM

The reason I ask is that I'm putting together a workstation
for Dad and thought I might get a few things for myself
along the way.

Thanks.
--

Vu.

My BFG 6800GT OC says it will work in a 8X/4X AGP slot. Mine is in a 8X slot
but the box says it will work 8X/4X..

"OldFartJAC" <ihatespam@spamupyours.com> wrote in message
> My BFG 6800GT OC says it will work in a 8X/4X AGP slot. Mine is in a 8X
> slot but the box says it will work 8X/4X..

All 6800 series should be fine in 4X [1.5V] AGP slot.
For those have other like:
Ti Series
MX Series
GeForce4 Series

All above will be ok too in 4X with AGP 1.5V slot or AGP3.0

CapFusion,...

Thanks OldFart,
So it may work in a 4x/2x slot?
The pics of the AGP8x cards look as though the tail
end of the slot may not fit...

--

> Thanks OldFart,
> So it may work in a 4x/2x slot?
> The pics of the AGP8x cards look as though the tail
> end of the slot may not fit...

From your model manual -
http://america.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/FileList/Manual/manual_7dxe_e.pdf
You have a AGP Pro type. From the manual, you universal AGP Pro slot
supporting 4X/2X (1.5V/3.3V), page 3 or 13 from PDF.

Only GA-7DX+ / GA-7DXE support 4X slot

If you still not sure, check GigaByte tech and see if it is support 4X with
1.5V.

CapFusion,.....

"CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote in message

> "Vu" <v_le@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks OldFart,
> > So it may work in a 4x/2x slot?
> > The pics of the AGP8x cards look as though the tail
> > end of the slot may not fit...
> >

> From your model manual -
> http://america.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/FileList/Manual/manual_7dxe_e.pdf
> You have a AGP Pro type. From the manual, you universal AGP Pro slot
> supporting 4X/2X (1.5V/3.3V), page 3 or 13 from PDF.
>
> Only GA-7DX+ / GA-7DXE support 4X slot
>
> If you still not sure, check GigaByte tech and see if it is support 4X
with
> 1.5V.

Actually I looked again and it might fit physically.
From the Manual (GA-7DXR+):
"1 Universal AGP Pro slot 4X/2X (1.5V/3.3V) device support"

Here's a comparison for anyone interested. It's a small pic though.
http://www-personal.monash.edu.au/~vale3/AGP_pro_8x.jpg
I might give it a try :)

Vu.

> Actually I looked again and it might fit physically.
> From the Manual (GA-7DXR+):
> "1 Universal AGP Pro slot 4X/2X (1.5V/3.3V) device support"
>
> Here's a comparison for anyone interested. It's a small pic though.
> http://www-personal.monash.edu.au/~vale3/AGP_pro_8x.jpg
> I might give it a try :)
>
> Vu.

From the pic, it seem your AGP slot is between PCI slot? Anyway, try and see
if it will work for you.

> "Vu" <v_le@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Actually I looked again and it might fit physically.
> > From the Manual (GA-7DXR+):
> > "1 Universal AGP Pro slot 4X/2X (1.5V/3.3V) device support"
> >
> > Here's a comparison for anyone interested. It's a small pic though.
> > http://www-personal.monash.edu.au/~vale3/AGP_pro_8x.jpg
> > I might give it a try :)
> >
> > Vu.
> >

> From the pic, it seem your AGP slot is between PCI slot? Anyway, try and
see
> if it will work for you.

No the pic was flipped horozontally to show the two cards
next to each other (I should have explained that).
Anyway the card is ordered and should arrive on Thursday :)
It's the 6800GT from Leadtek.

--

Vu.

> No the pic was flipped horozontally to show the two cards
> next to each other (I should have explained that).
> Anyway the card is ordered and should arrive on Thursday :)
> It's the 6800GT from Leadtek.

Hope it will work out for you.

CapFusion,...

"Vu" <v_le@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all.
> After reading what you guys have to say about it
> I'm considering getting one. However, can you clarify
> for me as to wether it will work in an AGP 4x slot
> or will I need to upgrade the motherboard (and CPU).
> Would it be worth getting before I do the upgrade?
>
> My system is as follows:
> AMD XP1800+
> Gigabyte 7DXR+
> GeForce4 mx440 64MB (AGP 4x version) from Leadtek
> 1GB RAM
>
> The reason I ask is that I'm putting together a workstation
> for Dad and thought I might get a few things for myself
> along the way.
>
> Thanks.
> --
>
> Vu.

A 6800GT would be seriously CPU limited in that system. To take full
advantage of one, you really need a 3400+/P4 3GHz+ CPU, or something in that
range.

That said, yes, a 6800GT will work in a 4x AGP slot. I have one in my
system right now.