No Kerio and No Sygate and then what?

At the moment I'm running Sygate Pro. But since it's been bought
by Symantec, I have the strong feeling that I wont be running it
for much longer because I don't want symantec bloat and bugs.

Then there was the possibility of Kerio but that's gone.

Any info on the (affordable) stingray hardware firewall?
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/75f3/

Thoughts and recommendations appreciated.

I'm running Nod 32, a Linksys NAT router and Sygate.

I run several antispyware programs at least once a week.

TUA

Louise
1 answer Last reply
More about kerio sygate what

    In article <MPG.1d883ed3babcc4a79896ed@news-server.nyc.rr.com>,
    nospam@nospam.com says...
    > At the moment I'm running Sygate Pro. But since it's been bought
    > by Symantec, I have the strong feeling that I wont be running it
    > for much longer because I don't want symantec bloat and bugs.
    >
    > Then there was the possibility of Kerio but that's gone.
    >
    > Any info on the (affordable) stingray hardware firewall?
    > http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/75f3/
    >
    > Thoughts and recommendations appreciated.
    >
    > I'm running Nod 32, a Linksys NAT router and Sygate.
    >
    > I run several antispyware programs at least once a week.
    >
    > TUA
    >
    > Louise

    Hi Louise, Have you thought about continuing to use Sygate Pro.
    I plan to do just that--it has served me well for 4-yrs and has
    created no problems. Stop and think about all of the features that
    Sygate offers. Rule parameters consist of applications, allow/block,
    hosts, IPs, macks, ports (remote/local), in/out/both, protocols
    (tcp/udp/icmp), etc.. Ask yourself what more is there to control/
    whats lacking... Now much--of course there is no control of local
    host but thats not serious for most users.
    In Sygate Pro, tale a look at tools/options/security.. There are about
    18 or 20 oustanding security features that are selectable. It would be
    quite a loss not having them.
    One important thing we would loose is signature updates for the intruder
    detection system. It appears these updates go into Sygate file
    trojan.dat. (this is not a txt file but can be viewed with a test editor)
    There is a listing of malware that Sygate blocks. Should you continue
    to use Sygate, make a copy of this file for use if you ever needed to
    reinstall Sygate. We can supplement the remaining signatures with our
    anti-virus/anti-trojan software and use a Hosts file such as
    MVPS host. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt
    Good luck
    Casey
    p.s. if you should ever find something better than Sygate or even as
    good, please let us know <g>

Firewalls Symantec Networking