No Kerio and No Sygate and then what?

Last response: in Networking
Share
September 7, 2005 8:53:49 AM

At the moment I'm running Sygate Pro. But since it's been bought
by Symantec, I have the strong feeling that I wont be running it
for much longer because I don't want symantec bloat and bugs.

Then there was the possibility of Kerio but that's gone.

Any info on the (affordable) stingray hardware firewall?
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/75f3/

Thoughts and recommendations appreciated.

I'm running Nod 32, a Linksys NAT router and Sygate.

I run several antispyware programs at least once a week.

TUA

Louise

More about : kerio sygate

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 12:46:31 AM

In article <MPG.1d883ed3babcc4a79896ed@news-server.nyc.rr.com>,
nospam@nospam.com says...
> At the moment I'm running Sygate Pro. But since it's been bought
> by Symantec, I have the strong feeling that I wont be running it
> for much longer because I don't want symantec bloat and bugs.
>
> Then there was the possibility of Kerio but that's gone.
>
> Any info on the (affordable) stingray hardware firewall?
> http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/75f3/
>
> Thoughts and recommendations appreciated.
>
> I'm running Nod 32, a Linksys NAT router and Sygate.
>
> I run several antispyware programs at least once a week.
>
> TUA
>
> Louise

Hi Louise, Have you thought about continuing to use Sygate Pro.
I plan to do just that--it has served me well for 4-yrs and has
created no problems. Stop and think about all of the features that
Sygate offers. Rule parameters consist of applications, allow/block,
hosts, IPs, macks, ports (remote/local), in/out/both, protocols
(tcp/udp/icmp), etc.. Ask yourself what more is there to control/
whats lacking... Now much--of course there is no control of local
host but thats not serious for most users.
In Sygate Pro, tale a look at tools/options/security.. There are about
18 or 20 oustanding security features that are selectable. It would be
quite a loss not having them.
One important thing we would loose is signature updates for the intruder
detection system. It appears these updates go into Sygate file
trojan.dat. (this is not a txt file but can be viewed with a test editor)
There is a listing of malware that Sygate blocks. Should you continue
to use Sygate, make a copy of this file for use if you ever needed to
reinstall Sygate. We can supplement the remaining signatures with our
anti-virus/anti-trojan software and use a Hosts file such as
MVPS host. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt
Good luck
Casey
p.s. if you should ever find something better than Sygate or even as
good, please let us know <g>
!