freezing or skipping during gameplay?

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Hi, I recently purchased a new slimline PS2, and have been playing GTA: San
Andreas.
I've noticed that during gameplay the screen occasionally becomes jerky or
freezes for a brief time (less than 1 second). This typically happens when
the character/car is rapidly moving or turning, or during battles. Also,
some of the textures of scenery like buildings, trees, streets, etc. don't
appear until you get up close, or light blue patches appear. Are these
things normal? Could they be symptoms of a dirty lens or a defective
processor? My game disc doesn't appear to have any scratches on it.

Thanks

Ray Muensch wrote:

> Hi, I recently purchased a new slimline PS2, and have been playing GTA: San
> Andreas.
> I've noticed that during gameplay the screen occasionally becomes jerky or
> freezes for a brief time (less than 1 second). This typically happens when
> the character/car is rapidly moving or turning, or during battles. Also,
> some of the textures of scenery like buildings, trees, streets, etc. don't
> appear until you get up close, or light blue patches appear. Are these
> things normal? Could they be symptoms of a dirty lens or a defective
> processor? My game disc doesn't appear to have any scratches on it.
>
> Thanks

Yeah, I think what you're witnessing is just the machine playing catch
up with the game, or vice versa. Wait til you drive round a bend and
suddenly you think you're in mid air, but no, suddenly the road
appears below you. the GTA 3d games have all had this kind of problem
on the ps2 and when I've been away from SA for a few days and play it
again it still takes me by surprise!

So, you can breathe easy, it's just our slightly dated hardware having
a hard time keeping up :O)

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ray Muensch wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I recently purchased a new slimline PS2, and have been playing GTA:
San
> > Andreas.
> > I've noticed that during gameplay the screen occasionally becomes jerky
or
> > freezes for a brief time (less than 1 second). This typically happens
when
> > the character/car is rapidly moving or turning, or during battles. Also,
> > some of the textures of scenery like buildings, trees, streets, etc.
don't
> > appear until you get up close, or light blue patches appear. Are these
> > things normal? Could they be symptoms of a dirty lens or a defective
> > processor? My game disc doesn't appear to have any scratches on it.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Yeah, I think what you're witnessing is just the machine playing catch
> up with the game, or vice versa. Wait til you drive round a bend and
> suddenly you think you're in mid air, but no, suddenly the road
> appears below you. the GTA 3d games have all had this kind of problem
> on the ps2 and when I've been away from SA for a few days and play it
> again it still takes me by surprise!
>
> So, you can breathe easy, it's just our slightly dated hardware having
> a hard time keeping up :O)
>
> --

I've had it on the x-box with the barriers at the side of the road
disappearing, that is till I decide to leave the motorway and they reappear
as soon as I plough headlong into them.

Diablos Rojos wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Ray Muensch wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi, I recently purchased a new slimline PS2, and have been playing GTA:
> San
> > > Andreas.
> > > I've noticed that during gameplay the screen occasionally becomes jerky
> or
> > > freezes for a brief time (less than 1 second). This typically happens
> when
> > > the character/car is rapidly moving or turning, or during battles. Also,
> > > some of the textures of scenery like buildings, trees, streets, etc.
> don't
> > > appear until you get up close, or light blue patches appear. Are these
> > > things normal? Could they be symptoms of a dirty lens or a defective
> > > processor? My game disc doesn't appear to have any scratches on it.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > Yeah, I think what you're witnessing is just the machine playing catch
> > up with the game, or vice versa. Wait til you drive round a bend and
> > suddenly you think you're in mid air, but no, suddenly the road
> > appears below you. the GTA 3d games have all had this kind of problem
> > on the ps2 and when I've been away from SA for a few days and play it
> > again it still takes me by surprise!
> >
> > So, you can breathe easy, it's just our slightly dated hardware having
> > a hard time keeping up :O)
> >
> > --
>
> I've had it on the x-box with the barriers at the side of the road
> disappearing, that is till I decide to leave the motorway and they reappear
> as soon as I plough headlong into them.

wow, didn't know the box was prone to it too. did you have the double
pack when it came out? Were either of those bad?
--

Paul Heslop wrote:
> Diablos Rojos wrote:
>>
>> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Yeah, I think what you're witnessing is just the machine playing
>>> catch up with the game, or vice versa. Wait til you drive round a
>>> bend and suddenly you think you're in mid air, but no, suddenly the
>>> road appears below you. the GTA 3d games have all had this kind of
>>> problem on the ps2 and when I've been away from SA for a few days
>>> and play it again it still takes me by surprise!
>>>
>>> So, you can breathe easy, it's just our slightly dated hardware
>>> having a hard time keeping up :O)
>>>
>>> --
>>
>> I've had it on the x-box with the barriers at the side of the road
>> disappearing, that is till I decide to leave the motorway and they
>> reappear as soon as I plough headlong into them.
>
> wow, didn't know the box was prone to it too. did you have the double
> pack when it came out? Were either of those bad?

Yes I got the double pack, can't say I noticed anything like that though.
It is only when you are really going at speed and only the side barriers/
concrete divide that disappears.

Diablos Rojos wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
> > Diablos Rojos wrote:
> >>
> >> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> >> I've had it on the x-box with the barriers at the side of the road
> >> disappearing, that is till I decide to leave the motorway and they
> >> reappear as soon as I plough headlong into them.
> >
> > wow, didn't know the box was prone to it too. did you have the double
> > pack when it came out? Were either of those bad?
>
> Yes I got the double pack, can't say I noticed anything like that though.
> It is only when you are really going at speed and only the side barriers/
> concrete divide that disappears.

not bad then. we had blue roads and al sorts on the ps2. worst point
in SA is taking a helicopter or plane, flying very fast and suddenly
hitting something that appears a second later
--

In message <42DD2319.8B877694@blueyonder.co.uk>
Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> not bad then. we had blue roads and al sorts on the ps2. worst point
> in SA is taking a helicopter or plane, flying very fast and suddenly
> hitting something that appears a second later

That mission N.O.E. at the airstrip took me an absurd amount of
attempts as a result of that same problem.

On the roads you can kind of guess which decorative bits of scenery are
going to appear and where, although it still remains annoying. SA is
just too vast to remember all the bits of scenery like that, even those
odd metal armco barriers at the side of the freeways.

Cheers,
Rob

Rob White wrote:

> In message <42DD2319.8B877694@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > not bad then. we had blue roads and al sorts on the ps2. worst point
> > in SA is taking a helicopter or plane, flying very fast and suddenly
> > hitting something that appears a second later
>
> That mission N.O.E. at the airstrip took me an absurd amount of
> attempts as a result of that same problem.
>
> On the roads you can kind of guess which decorative bits of scenery are
> going to appear and where, although it still remains annoying. SA is
> just too vast to remember all the bits of scenery like that, even those
> odd metal armco barriers at the side of the freeways.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> --
> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
> | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
> | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.

yep, I think just the very last part, when you're almost at the drop
off point and have to manouvre round trees etc is absolute hell as it
is without shite draw problems
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

I jumped out of the Monster Truck in SF, and it rolled down the hill
and got it stuck at an angle with its front wheels slightly up in the
air. A car drove under the front bumper, and instantly whent flying
backwards through the air at the speed of sound. It must have landed in
the desert somewhere, if it didn't hit a skyscraper.

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In message <42DD918D.EFF16A07@blueyonder.co.uk>
Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> yep, I think just the very last part, when you're almost at the drop
> off point and have to manouvre round trees etc is absolute hell as it
> is without shite draw problems

The only other thing that really gets on my tits is when a perfectly
flat piece of the ground mysteriously flips your car in the air.
The entrance to the Easter Basin I/E crane at the docks is like that, I
just kind of guessed it was the railway lines, but it has happened more
and more elsewhere.

I don't remember there being this many draw problems in GTAIII or VC,
aside from when you're travelling really fast in a car, but the
disappearing ground display glitch has started to rear it's ugly head
more now I've seen it occur in SA a load of times.

Cheers,
Rob

Rob White wrote:

> In message <42DD918D.EFF16A07@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > yep, I think just the very last part, when you're almost at the drop
> > off point and have to manouvre round trees etc is absolute hell as it
> > is without shite draw problems
>
> The only other thing that really gets on my tits is when a perfectly
> flat piece of the ground mysteriously flips your car in the air.
> The entrance to the Easter Basin I/E crane at the docks is like that, I
> just kind of guessed it was the railway lines, but it has happened more
> and more elsewhere.

yep, that particular place actually flips the car sometimes when
you're hardly moving. I had a laugh last night when I touched a car's
rear end with the Bigfoot thing and the other car shot up into the air
like the peds sometimes do... amazing!

> I don't remember there being this many draw problems in GTAIII or VC,
> aside from when you're travelling really fast in a car, but the
> disappearing ground display glitch has started to rear it's ugly head
> more now I've seen it occur in SA a load of times.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> --
My last one was almost scary. I must have been above one of those
storm drains. i turned the corner, not even particularly fast and
suddenly I was just driving along above this open concrete alley. My
heart actually lurched, it was such a bizarre experience. then the
road appeared and all was back to normal.

I think this is the worst one of the three for draw probs, though VC
could be quite nauseating at times.

--

PhilHibbs wrote:

> I jumped out of the Monster Truck in SF, and it rolled down the hill
> and got it stuck at an angle with its front wheels slightly up in the
> air. A car drove under the front bumper, and instantly whent flying
> backwards through the air at the speed of sound. It must have landed in
> the desert somewhere, if it didn't hit a skyscraper.

wow, coincidence with the one I just posted. Mine went upwards though!
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Take good care of your copy of GTA:SA, as the ESRB just upped its
rating to AO. And if you think about selling your copy of GTA:SA on
eBay in hopes of making a lot of money on a now-AO-rated game, think
again because chances are very likely that eBay will ban the sale
and/or auction of all copies of GTA:SA currently available, and most
stores will probably send all unsold copies of GTA:SA back to Rockstar
Games as I think there is a recall.

Wow I feel lucky, never had freezing or draw problems on my PS2. On any
game for that matter. Only weird experience on my SA was spawning alot
of Hydras on the Pyramid and having an unlimited amount of explosions as
they all kept exploding still I went away and came back lol

Phat Nick wrote:

> Wow I feel lucky, never had freezing or draw problems on my PS2. On any
> game for that matter. Only weird experience on my SA was spawning alot
> of Hydras on the Pyramid and having an unlimited amount of explosions as
> they all kept exploding still I went away and came back lol

You should feel lucky as i even get them on my newer slimline. I was
also getting some awful sound problems but I have a feeling there was
something on the lens.
--

> Phat Nick wrote:
> >
> > Wow I feel lucky, never had freezing or draw problems on my PS2. On any
> > game for that matter. Only weird experience on my SA was spawning alot
> > of Hydras on the Pyramid and having an unlimited amount of explosions as
> > they all kept exploding still I went away and came back lol
>
> You should feel lucky as i even get them on my newer slimline. I was
> also getting some awful sound problems but I have a feeling there was
> something on the lens.
> --
> Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
> Stop and Look
> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

What are the typical effects of a smudged/dirty lens? Are they easy to
clean? My manual says never to touch the lens, but being a new owner I am
not sure where it's located exactly. Is it possible to accidentally touch it
when inserting a disc, or is it recessed inside the machine?

TIA,
Ray

Ray Muensch wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Phat Nick wrote:
> > >
> > > Wow I feel lucky, never had freezing or draw problems on my PS2. On any
> > > game for that matter. Only weird experience on my SA was spawning alot
> > > of Hydras on the Pyramid and having an unlimited amount of explosions as
> > > they all kept exploding still I went away and came back lol
> >
> > You should feel lucky as i even get them on my newer slimline. I was
> > also getting some awful sound problems but I have a feeling there was
> > something on the lens.
> > --
> > Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
> > Stop and Look
> > http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
>
> What are the typical effects of a smudged/dirty lens? Are they easy to
> clean? My manual says never to touch the lens, but being a new owner I am
> not sure where it's located exactly. Is it possible to accidentally touch it
> when inserting a disc, or is it recessed inside the machine?
>
> TIA,
> Ray

you can get skipping sound etc or your games may act up, or worse case
your game locks up and the 'dirty disc' sign comes up.

On the slimline it's easily seen and cleaned. If you open your flap
and look inside you'll see the long slot going backawrds, with a small
mechanical block on the far end. The lens should stand out on that
block as being small, circular and quite bright. I can see mine even
though the machine is parked in an awkward place. Cleaning must be
done gently and there are arguments on exactly what to use. Obviously
water is out but many people will use a cotton bud and some cleaning
fluid. I have used white spirits on lenses but some fight against that
so I now use the liquid from a proprietary lens cleaning disc. These
can be picked up quite cheaply.

One thing to remember is to be very gentle! don't use a lot of fluid
and just a quick little twiddle should do the job. If you have the
machine out in the open you'll be able to see whether the bud leaves
any strands behind, which can be as bad as dirt/smears.

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Paul

Splendid

<DarthChaosofRSPW@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Take good care of your copy of GTA:SA, as the ESRB just upped its
> rating to AO. And if you think about selling your copy of GTA:SA on
> eBay in hopes of making a lot of money on a now-AO-rated game, think
> again because chances are very likely that eBay will ban the sale
> and/or auction of all copies of GTA:SA currently available, and most
> stores will probably send all unsold copies of GTA:SA back to Rockstar
> Games as I think there is a recall.

If you bought a copy of GTA:SA on in June 7 then it kinda makes a NOCD crack
a bit mandatory now doesn't it :cool:

Cyrus

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In article <42DE33A9.C68268BB@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> PhilHibbs wrote:
> >
> > I jumped out of the Monster Truck in SF, and it rolled down the hill
> > and got it stuck at an angle with its front wheels slightly up in the
> > air. A car drove under the front bumper, and instantly whent flying
> > backwards through the air at the speed of sound. It must have landed in
> > the desert somewhere, if it didn't hit a skyscraper.
>
> wow, coincidence with the one I just posted. Mine went upwards though!

I've noticed the Monster flipping cars. Drive onto the hood of an
oncoming car just right on an upwards incline.

To the OP: Yeah the jittery stuff was noticed even on the large ps2's.
HDLoader helps much, still happens occasionally though.

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*