5900 PCI Express equal to what?

What would a 5900 PCI Express be equal to in an AGP card, Nvidia not ATI.

raj

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

well its probably equal to the fx 5900 agp card, your not going to see
performance increase. Video cards today are barely utilizing 8x agp.
"Courseyauto" <courseyauto@aol.com> wrote in message
> What would a 5900 PCI Express be equal to in an AGP card, Nvidia not ATI.

"Courseyauto" <courseyauto@aol.com> wrote in message
> What would a 5900 PCI Express be equal to in an AGP card, Nvidia not ATI.

A 5900, they are no different save for one being PCI-E and one being AGP. No
benefit from moving to PCI Express at all.

nOm

Distinguished
May 29, 2003

Courseyauto wrote:
> What would a 5900 PCI Express be equal to in an AGP card, Nvidia not
> ATI.

Er, a 5900 AGP. It doesn't matter what interface it uses - it's still a 5900
!

Courseyauto wrote:
> What would a 5900 PCI Express be equal to in an AGP card, Nvidia not
> ATI.

>Er, a 5900 AGP. It doesn't matter what interface it uses - it's >still a 5900

Really,the interface has everything to do with it. AGP 8x
is 2.1 GB/s and PCX is 4.0 GB/s

Courseyauto wrote:

> Courseyauto wrote:
>> What would a 5900 PCI Express be equal to in an AGP card, Nvidia not
>> ATI.
>
>>Er, a 5900 AGP. It doesn't matter what interface it uses - it's >still a
>>5900
>

> Really,the interface has everything to do with it.
> AGP 8x
> is 2.1 GB/s and PCX is 4.0 GB/s

That would be true if the interface was the bottleneck. It's not. A 5900
performs the same with AGP 4X, 8X, or PCI Express.

Further, please do not encourage the use of "PCX" to refer to PCI Express
(and I don't _care_ if some marketing nitwit has used it as a brand ame).
PCI-X is a totally different standard, and there's enough confusion on that
point as it is.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

>That would be true if the interface was the bottleneck. It's not. >A 5900
>performs the same with AGP 4X, 8X, or PCI Express.
>Further, please do not encourage the use of "PCX" to refer to >PCI Express
>(and I don't _care_ if some marketing nitwit has used it as a >brand ame).
>PCI-X is a totally different standard, and there's enough point as >it is

> John

That marketing nit wit is NVIDIA.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_pcx.html

Courseyauto wrote:

>>That would be true if the interface was the bottleneck. It's not. >A
>>5900 performs the same with AGP 4X, 8X, or PCI Express.
>>Further, please do not encourage the use of "PCX" to refer to >PCI Express
>>(and I don't _care_ if some marketing nitwit has used it as a >brand ame).
>>PCI-X is a totally different standard, and there's enough point as >it is
>

>> John
>
> That marketing nit wit is NVIDIA.
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_pcx.html

No, that marketing nitwit is an _employee_ of nvidia.

--

>>No, that marketing nitwit is an _employee_ of nvidia.
>
> --
>>--John
>

> Gainward has one too.
> http://www.gainward.com/html/product/vga/PCI-Express/6600GT/1960pcxxp.htm

Yes, nVidia and alot other manufacturer follow it. Reason, nVidia name it
PCX as PCX GPU not PCI-Express as Bus.
It already confusing as it is.
They dediffinate the FX and PCX -
http://www.nvidia.com/page/fx_5700.html
Speaking of PCX version. Do you know or aware of this version -
PCX 5300
http://www.nvidia.com/page/fx_5200.html

For those PCX type card, that is PCI-E, basically it will not benefit much
due to it GPU.
You can try or test FX5700 with PCX 5750 for which perform better. Both will
have about the same result.

CapFusion,...

>Geez, what's Ralph Nader doing these days?

>John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

He works for Nvidia and part time for Gainward. Isn't the other interface PCI
-X and not PCX.

Courseyauto wrote:

>>Geez, what's Ralph Nader doing these days?
>

>>John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
>

> He works for Nvidia and part time for Gainward. Isn't the other interface
> PCI
> -X and not PCX.

Yes, but that doesn't make the nomenclature any less confusing.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

>Yes, nVidia and alot other manufacturer follow it. Reason, nVidia name it
PCX as PCX GPU not PCI-Express as Bus.
>It already confusing as it is.
They dediffinate the FX and PCX -
http://www.nvidia.com/page/fx_5700.html
>Speaking of PCX version. Do you know or aware of this version -
PCX 5300
http://www.nvidia.com/page/fx_5200.html

>For those PCX type card, that is PCI-E, basically it will not benefit much
>due to it GPU.
You can try or test FX5700 with PCX 5750 for which perform better. Both will
>have about the same result.

>CapFusion,...

My next system will be 925 chipset MB and 775 pin CPU, dont know which one yet
but i was researching Video cards as the rest is not that much of a decision. I
already have a Gainward 5900,and i wanted a PCI express card at least as fast.
DOUG

> >Yes, nVidia and alot other manufacturer follow it. Reason, nVidia name it
> PCX as PCX GPU not PCI-Express as Bus.
>>It already confusing as it is.
> They dediffinate the FX and PCX -
> http://www.nvidia.com/page/fx_5700.html
>>Speaking of PCX version. Do you know or aware of this version -
> PCX 5300
> http://www.nvidia.com/page/fx_5200.html
>
>>For those PCX type card, that is PCI-E, basically it will not benefit much
>>due to it GPU.
> You can try or test FX5700 with PCX 5750 for which perform better. Both
> will
>>have about the same result.
>
>>CapFusion,...
>

> My next system will be 925 chipset MB and 775 pin CPU, dont know which one
> yet
> but i was researching Video cards as the rest is not that much of a
> decision. I
> already have a Gainward 5900,and i wanted a PCI express card at least as
> fast.
> DOUG

No big hurry to get 925 MoBo w/PCI-E card.
Stay at where you are for that 5900. Wait for everything to settle regarding
PCI-E and 6xxxx series to come down.
I have Intel D925XCV Extreme w/PCX 5750 and compare to Intel 865PERL using
FX5700, both sore about the same. Both on P4 3GHz.. So having PCI-E type of
card will not benefit much.

CapFusion,...

nOm

Distinguished
May 29, 2003

Courseyauto wrote:
> Courseyauto wrote:
>> What would a 5900 PCI Express be equal to in an AGP card, Nvidia not
>> ATI.
>
>> Er, a 5900 AGP. It doesn't matter what interface it uses - it's
>> >still a 5900
>
> Really,the interface has everything to do with it.

Except that it doesn't :)

> AGP 8x is 2.1 GB/s and PCX is 4.0 GB/s

Moot point - that doubling of the bandwidth, has almost zero effect on the
performance. The 2.1GB offered by AGP, is *more* than enough for the card to
perform at full capacity !