DirectX 9.0c

Anyone know when or where I can get DirectX 9.0c compatable drivers for
Win98 RIVA TNT2?

Had a look at nvidia.com and they only seem to support DirectX 9.0b.

Is there a sly beta versions available or does anyone know when they will
release the new update?
29 answers Last reply
More about directx

    >Anyone know when or where I can get DirectX 9.0c compatable drivers for
    >Win98 RIVA TNT2?
    >
    >Had a look at nvidia.com and they only seem to support DirectX 9.0b.
    >
    >Is there a sly beta versions available or does anyone know when they will
    >release the new update?

    I have never seen drivers that were specific for a different DirectX version.
    The drivers should work fine with any version IMO.

    Current Driver I'm using is 61.76 and it supports DirectX 9.0b and I can't
    get a game working without support for DirectX 9.0c

    Doh!

    The Windows XP verion supports 9.0c but the Win98 version doesn't :-(

    "PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
    > >Anyone know when or where I can get DirectX 9.0c compatable drivers for
    > >Win98 RIVA TNT2?
    > >
    > >Had a look at nvidia.com and they only seem to support DirectX 9.0b.
    > >
    > >Is there a sly beta versions available or does anyone know when they will
    > >release the new update?
    > >

    > I have never seen drivers that were specific for a different DirectX
    version.
    > The drivers should work fine with any version IMO.

    >Current Driver I'm using is 61.76 and it supports DirectX 9.0b and I can't
    >get a game working without support for DirectX 9.0c

    They probably just put that there because the 9.0c version had not come out
    yet.

    I don't even believe there are any games out that require 9.0c yet so why do
    you think you need that version anyway? Your TNT does not even have any support
    for DirectX9 features. So having DirectX 9 does nothing for your card. Unless a
    game specifically requires a certain version to be installed.

    Which game requires 9.0c?

    Just because the drivers for Win98 only list DirectX 9.0b does not mean they
    won't work OK with 9.0c. They should work fine. It won't effect your card as
    far as features are concerned because your card doesn't even have DirectX 9
    features.

    Am I understanding what your saying right?

    "Adam Bennett" <xellaphiteATmadasafishDOTcom> wrote in
    alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:

    > Current Driver I'm using is 61.76 and it supports DirectX 9.0b and I
    > can't get a game working without support for DirectX 9.0c
    >
    > Doh!
    >
    > The Windows XP verion supports 9.0c but the Win98 version doesn't :-(

    Your card doesn't support Dx 9 at all, so a, b or c doesn't make a
    difference. If it won't run without 9c, it won't run with 9a or 9b
    either.

    A game requiring Dx9 (which game does require 9.0c when it's only very
    shortly available?) will maybe miss some Dx9 features but will run with
    lower version of DX as it's backward compatible.

    --
    CeeBee

    Archer: "Houdini could get out of this."
    T'Pol: "Perhaps you should invite him on your next mission."

    Picard: "Mr. Worf, do you know Gilbert and Sullivan?"
    Worf: "No sir, I have not had a chance to meet all the new crew members
    since I have been back."

    CeeBee <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in
    alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:

    > but will run with
    > lower version of DX as it's backward compatible.

    I meant: a lower release of the _same_ DX version.

    --

    Adam Bennett wrote:
    > Current Driver I'm using is 61.76 and it supports DirectX 9.0b and I
    > can't get a game working without support for DirectX 9.0c
    >
    > Doh!
    >
    > The Windows XP verion supports 9.0c but the Win98 version doesn't :-(

    Try 61.77

    Matt

    --
    The poster previously known as PYRO-Maniak
    Gamertag: GLY7CH

    If you have a game/app that requires DX9.0c, you arent going to be playing
    it on a RIVA TNT2. And probably not on Win98 either. For example, doesnt
    DOOM3 only support Win2K/WinXP, meaning no more support for Win9X?

    > >Current Driver I'm using is 61.76 and it supports DirectX 9.0b and I
    > >can't
    >>get a game working without support for DirectX 9.0c
    >>

    > They probably just put that there because the 9.0c version had not come
    > out
    > yet.
    >
    > I don't even believe there are any games out that require 9.0c yet so why
    > do
    > you think you need that version anyway? Your TNT does not even have any
    > support
    > for DirectX9 features. So having DirectX 9 does nothing for your card.
    > Unless a
    > game specifically requires a certain version to be installed.
    >
    > Which game requires 9.0c?

    sims 2

    "Les" <a@aolnot.com> wrote in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:

    > "PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote
    >> Which game requires 9.0c?
    >>

    > sims 2

    http://thesims2.ea.com/help/detail.php?help_id=21

    There is no mention of the required DirectX version. They're mentioning
    the need of minimum hardware specs for non-TnL, such as the TNT2:

    If you have a non-T&L capable video card then you need at least:

    * 2.0 GHz processor or better
    * 256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98, or Windows 2000
    * At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space

    Which might be a problem for the OP.

    --
    CeeBee

    Archer: "Houdini could get out of this."
    T'Pol: "Perhaps you should invite him on your next mission."

    Picard: "Mr. Worf, do you know Gilbert and Sullivan?"
    Worf: "No sir, I have not had a chance to meet all the new crew members
    since I have been back."

    The game is Sims 2 and it says on the box it supports win98.

    "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    > "Les" <a@aolnot.com> wrote in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:
    >
    >> "PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote
    >>> Which game requires 9.0c?
    >>>

    >> sims 2
    >

    > http://thesims2.ea.com/help/detail.php?help_id=21
    >
    > There is no mention of the required DirectX version. They're mentioning
    > the need of minimum hardware specs for non-TnL, such as the TNT2:
    >
    > If you have a non-T&L capable video card then you need at least:
    >
    > * 2.0 GHz processor or better
    > * 256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98, or Windows 2000
    > * At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space
    >
    > Which might be a problem for the OP.

    My mate just installed it (Sims2), he only had 9.0b installed, it insisted
    on 9.0c being installed before proceeding with installation.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > The game is Sims 2 and it says on the box it supports win98.

    Then surely the relavent version of Direct X will be on the CD....?

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A9B6820-BFBB-4799-9908-D418CDEAC197&displaylang=en

    If you have this installed then it should work...
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >My mate just installed it (Sims2), he only had 9.0b installed, it insisted
    >on 9.0c being installed before proceeding with installation.

    I could understand that because some games require a certain DirectX version,
    but it shouldn't matter to your video card because your video card doesn't have
    any DirectX9 features.

    You should be able to install DirectX 9.0c with your current drivers and the
    game should run OK. Your current drivers don't really care about the extra
    features in DirectX 9 because it doesn't have them anyway. The game probably
    requires DirectX 9 because it will use certain features of DirectX 9 if your
    video card supports those features.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >If you have a game/app that requires DX9.0c, you arent going to be playing
    >it on a RIVA TNT2. And probably not on Win98 either. For example, doesnt
    >DOOM3 only support Win2K/WinXP, meaning no more support for Win9X?

    I think it just requires DirectX 9.0c for features that the newest video cards
    support. So they play it safe and print that on the box.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >Then surely the relavent version of Direct X will be on the CD....?

    Most of the time they put it on the game CD.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Les" <a@aolnot.com> wrote in message news:2r4083F169n5jU1@uni-berlin.de...

    > "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    > > "Les" <a@aolnot.com> wrote in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:
    > >
    > >> "PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote
    > >>>

    > >> sims 2
    > >

    > > http://thesims2.ea.com/help/detail.php?help_id=21
    > >
    > > There is no mention of the required DirectX version. They're mentioning
    > > the need of minimum hardware specs for non-TnL, such as the TNT2:
    > >
    > > If you have a non-T&L capable video card then you need at least:
    > >
    > > * 2.0 GHz processor or better
    > > * 256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98, or Windows 2000
    > > * At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space
    > >
    > > Which might be a problem for the OP.
    >
    > My mate just installed it (Sims2), he only had 9.0b installed, it insisted
    > on 9.0c being installed before proceeding with installation.

    Agreed. I had 9.0b on all my machines and could not install Sims2 until I
    had loaded 9.0c.

    Ron
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > >Then surely the relavent version of Direct X will be on the CD....?
    >
    > Most of the time they put it on the game CD.

    Yep. DX9c IS on the CD.

    Ron
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > >If you have a game/app that requires DX9.0c, you arent going to be
    playing
    > >it on a RIVA TNT2. And probably not on Win98 either. For example,
    doesnt
    > >DOOM3 only support Win2K/WinXP, meaning no more support for Win9X?
    >
    > I think it just requires DirectX 9.0c for features that the newest video
    cards
    > support. So they play it safe and print that on the box.

    Regardless, you must install the 9c or the game will NOT install.

    Ron
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Les" <a@aolnot.com> wrote in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:

    > My mate just installed it (Sims2), he only had 9.0b installed, it
    > insisted on 9.0c being installed before proceeding with installation.

    I stand corrected about that.

    In that case install 9c - it's probably on the game CD - or else from
    the MS site and the game will run. Your card won't use any feature from
    any DX9 version, however. As said by others already , there's no need to
    install DX9 compliant drivers when a card does not support it. Just
    install 9c and the game will run if your hardware specs are up to par.

    --
    CeeBee

    Archer: "Houdini could get out of this."
    T'Pol: "Perhaps you should invite him on your next mission."

    Picard: "Mr. Worf, do you know Gilbert and Sullivan?"
    Worf: "No sir, I have not had a chance to meet all the new crew members
    since I have been back."
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Shouldn't worry I think I'll solve it buy throwing money at the problem.
    I'll get a new graphics card, its about time anyway. I've got DirectX 9.0c
    installed and it just does not like the RIVA TNT2 so for £40 I can get
    GeForce FX5500 128Mb...prob should think about getting WinXP too!! Just too
    much of a tight wad and I resent Mr Gates!

    > "Les" <a@aolnot.com> wrote in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:
    >
    > > My mate just installed it (Sims2), he only had 9.0b installed, it
    > > insisted on 9.0c being installed before proceeding with installation.
    >

    > I stand corrected about that.
    >
    > In that case install 9c - it's probably on the game CD - or else from
    > the MS site and the game will run. Your card won't use any feature from
    > any DX9 version, however. As said by others already , there's no need to
    > install DX9 compliant drivers when a card does not support it. Just
    > install 9c and the game will run if your hardware specs are up to par.
    >

    > --
    > CeeBee
    >

    > Archer: "Houdini could get out of this."
    > T'Pol: "Perhaps you should invite him on your next mission."
    >

    > Picard: "Mr. Worf, do you know Gilbert and Sullivan?"
    > Worf: "No sir, I have not had a chance to meet all the new crew members
    > since I have been back."

  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Adam Bennett" <xellaphiteATmadasafishDOTcom> wrote in
    alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:

    > Shouldn't worry I think I'll solve it buy throwing money at the
    > problem. I'll get a new graphics card, its about time anyway.

    Good decision I think. You've had your fun with the TNT and it's time for
    the retirement home. :)

    --
    CeeBee

    Archer: "Houdini could get out of this."
    T'Pol: "Perhaps you should invite him on your next mission."

    Picard: "Mr. Worf, do you know Gilbert and Sullivan?"
    Worf: "No sir, I have not had a chance to meet all the new crew members
    since I have been back."
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Here here, too true! Even gonna give that evil mr gates some more dosh too!
    Doh!
    There comes a time when you know you just have to upgrade....had some good
    times wiht the TNT but i think rather than fully retire the TNT I'll palm it
    off to my sister, where it wont get the abuse I gave it!

    > "Adam Bennett" <xellaphiteATmadasafishDOTcom> wrote in
    > alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:
    >
    > > Shouldn't worry I think I'll solve it buy throwing money at the
    > > problem. I'll get a new graphics card, its about time anyway.
    >
    > Good decision I think. You've had your fun with the TNT and it's time for
    > the retirement home. :)
    >

    > --
    > CeeBee
    >

    > Archer: "Houdini could get out of this."
    > T'Pol: "Perhaps you should invite him on your next mission."
    >

    > Picard: "Mr. Worf, do you know Gilbert and Sullivan?"
    > Worf: "No sir, I have not had a chance to meet all the new crew members
    > since I have been back."

  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >Regardless, you must install the 9c or the game will NOT install.
    >
    >Ron

    That's what I meant. They print that on the box and that's what you need to
    have.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >Shouldn't worry I think I'll solve it buy throwing money at the problem.
    >I'll get a new graphics card, its about time anyway. I've got DirectX 9.0c
    >installed and it just does not like the RIVA TNT2 so for £40 I can get
    >GeForce FX5500 128Mb...prob should think about getting WinXP too!! Just too
    >much of a tight wad and I resent Mr Gates!

    Your not buying a new video card now after we went through all the trouble of
    helping you. If you do were gonna track you down and beat the living tar out of
    you. Even if that means tearing you away from the Sims 2. : )
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    What trouble all this thread has done is make me realise that I need a new
    card cos the old one is no longer up to the job!
    It won't take much tearing away form sims 2 either cos as this thread
    suggests it won't work for me without some minor upgrades.

    However by wednesday I'll have a new GFX card win XP and a baseball bat all
    ready and waiting playing sims 2 (hopefuly) so bring it on ;-p

    Cheer for all the ideas though!

    > >Shouldn't worry I think I'll solve it buy throwing money at the problem.
    > >I'll get a new graphics card, its about time anyway. I've got DirectX
    9.0c
    > >installed and it just does not like the RIVA TNT2 so for £40 I can get
    > >GeForce FX5500 128Mb...prob should think about getting WinXP too!! Just
    too
    > >much of a tight wad and I resent Mr Gates!
    >
    > Your not buying a new video card now after we went through all the trouble
    of
    > helping you. If you do were gonna track you down and beat the living tar
    out of
    > you. Even if that means tearing you away from the Sims 2. : )
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > What trouble all this thread has done is make me realise that I need a new
    > card cos the old one is no longer up to the job!
    > It won't take much tearing away form sims 2 either cos as this thread
    > suggests it won't work for me without some minor upgrades.
    >
    > However by wednesday I'll have a new GFX card win XP and a baseball bat
    > all
    > ready and waiting playing sims 2 (hopefuly) so bring it on ;-p
    >
    > Cheer for all the ideas though!

    Good thing you upgrading to a better card. GF TNT / RIVA do not seem to be
    support or listing in Sim2. The lowest version is GF2.

    CapFusion,...
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >What trouble all this thread has done is make me realise that I need a new
    >card cos the old one is no longer up to the job!
    >It won't take much tearing away form sims 2 either cos as this thread
    >suggests it won't work for me without some minor upgrades.
    >
    >However by wednesday I'll have a new GFX card win XP and a baseball bat all
    >ready and waiting playing sims 2 (hopefuly) so bring it on ;-p
    >
    >Cheer for all the ideas though!

    I think it will work just not very well. I've been reading that Sims 2 seems to
    require a lot of power to run well.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    9.0c comes with SP2
  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:12:34 -0400, "John Wojcicki"
    <jwojcicki@cox.net> wrote:

    >9.0c comes with SP2

    You can get the DirectX 9C from here in 2 sizes, saves you worrying
    about the service pack if you don't want it. Be warned that it does
    recommend that you have the system restore turned on and you create a
    restore point before installing.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx

    DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime English
    File Name:
    dxwebsetup.exe
    Download Size:
    10 KB - 166666 KB
    Date Published:
    8/4/2004
    Version:
    9.0c

    DirectX 9.0c Redistributable for Software Developers
    File Name:
    directx_9c_redist.exe
    Download Size:
    34291 KB
    Date Published:
    8/4/2004
    Version:
    9.0c

    eTrust EZ Antivirus Protection
    Version 6.2.0.28
    Engine Version 11.5.0.0
    ©2003 Computer Associates International, Inc
    Update Version 8602
    Update Date Sep 22 2004

Nvidia Directx Graphics