Toshiba laptop video problems.

I recently re-installed Windows XP on a Toshiba Satellite 1415-S173,
which has nvidia Geforce4 420 GO video. Windows set up with generic
VGA driver and when I switched to the Gforce specific driver from the
Toshiba support site, windows hangs on booting. The screen goes black
and never returns after the starting windows screen. I have tried
several versions of the drivers, all with similar results. As well, I
tried installing the intel chipset drivers, including the AGP
controller, also with similar results.

If I boot in VGA and go into the device manager, I notice a conflict
on the driver resources, between the display adapter and AGP
controller. Could this be the source of my problem?

Has anyone seen this before, or can suggest a solution?

Does anyone know of utilities to test for bad video cards, or debug
driver problems?

I would appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Thanks

"cdegruch" <jncdegruchy@quickclic.net> wrote in message
>I recently re-installed Windows XP on a Toshiba Satellite 1415-S173,
> which has nvidia Geforce4 420 GO video. Windows set up with generic
> VGA driver and when I switched to the Gforce specific driver from the
> Toshiba support site, windows hangs on booting. The screen goes black
> and never returns after the starting windows screen. I have tried
> several versions of the drivers, all with similar results. As well, I
> tried installing the intel chipset drivers, including the AGP
> controller, also with similar results.
>
> If I boot in VGA and go into the device manager, I notice a conflict
> on the driver resources, between the display adapter and AGP
> controller. Could this be the source of my problem?
>
> Has anyone seen this before, or can suggest a solution?
>
> Does anyone know of utilities to test for bad video cards, or debug
> driver problems?
>
> I would appreciate any assistance you can provide.
>
> Thanks

I have had similar problems with the same graphics processor, on my
daughters Packard Bell Laptop. I cannot even update the driver, as XP
ALWAYS reverts to the generic one. It is so frustrating, and I am at a loss
as to what to do about it. If you have any luck with a solution, I would
appreciate you letting me know on the NG. I will obviously do likewise.

Many thanks,

Ian