New cooler for Gainward Ti4800SE

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

I have a Gainward Ti4800SE card, and the fan is now quite noisy, so was
looking to replace it. It's still a decent card, so I don't want to damage
it just over noise levels, hence why I'm asking here first.

The card looks like this:

Front:
http://www.in4.pl/recenzje/133/ti4800se_przod.jpg
Back:
http://www.in4.pl/recenzje/133/ti4800se_tyl.jpg

I'm looking to replace it with one of these:

http://www.vantec.com.tw/ccba4p.html

There's obviously no reason to replace the ram-sinks, but I was just
wondering about how easy it is to replace the heatsink/fan.

Is it stuck on well?
How easy is it to remove safely?

It says quick and easy installation, but doesn't mention removing the old
HS...

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks for any advice/pointers.

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

"Phil" <_invalid_@no_spam_.invalid_> wrote in message
>I have a Gainward Ti4800SE card, and the fan is now quite noisy, so was
>looking to replace it. It's still a decent card, so I don't want to damage
>it just over noise levels, hence why I'm asking here first.
>
> The card looks like this:
>
> Front:
> http://www.in4.pl/recenzje/133/ti4800se_przod.jpg
> Back:
> http://www.in4.pl/recenzje/133/ti4800se_tyl.jpg
>
> I'm looking to replace it with one of these:
>
> http://www.vantec.com.tw/ccba4p.html
>
> There's obviously no reason to replace the ram-sinks, but I was just
> wondering about how easy it is to replace the heatsink/fan.
>
> Is it stuck on well?
> How easy is it to remove safely?
>
> It says quick and easy installation, but doesn't mention removing the old
> HS...
>
> Has anyone done this before?
>
> Thanks for any advice/pointers.

The direct links to the images don't seem to work, so the main page they
were on is:

http://www.in4.pl/recenzje.htm?rec_id=133&rectr_str_numer=1

(top 2 images only)

Hi Phil

>I have a Gainward Ti4800SE card, and the fan is now quite noisy, so was
>looking to replace it. It's still a decent card, so I don't want to damage
>it just over noise levels, hence why I'm asking here first.
>
> The card looks like this:
>
> Front:
> http://www.in4.pl/recenzje/133/ti4800se_przod.jpg
> Back:
> http://www.in4.pl/recenzje/133/ti4800se_tyl.jpg
>
> I'm looking to replace it with one of these:
>
> http://www.vantec.com.tw/ccba4p.html
>
> There's obviously no reason to replace the ram-sinks, but I was just
> wondering about how easy it is to replace the heatsink/fan.
>
> Is it stuck on well?
> How easy is it to remove safely?
>
> It says quick and easy installation, but doesn't mention removing the old
> HS...
>
> Has anyone done this before?

I replaced my fan last week on my ti4800 because it had noisy bearings, well
loud on start up, i replaced it with a iCEBERQ4 as per the link you posted
but obtained from Maplin. It sounds like a turbofan engine, really noisy in
comparison with the original. Its easily fitted as its mounted with plastic
expanding rivet which incidentally i re-used in favour of the items provided
in the kit.

I also placed the heatsinks on the ram chips at the rear of the card, my way
of thinking was that the chips on the front have some air flow whereas the
rear one's don't.

--

Regards, Steve S.

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

"Steve Sweet" <steve.sweet@no-spam@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi Phil
>

>>I have a Gainward Ti4800SE card, and the fan is now quite noisy, so was
>>looking to replace it. It's still a decent card, so I don't want to damage
>>it just over noise levels, hence why I'm asking here first.
>>
>> The card looks like this:
>>
>> Front:
>> http://www.in4.pl/recenzje/133/ti4800se_przod.jpg
>> Back:
>> http://www.in4.pl/recenzje/133/ti4800se_tyl.jpg
>>
>> I'm looking to replace it with one of these:
>>
>> http://www.vantec.com.tw/ccba4p.html
>>
>> There's obviously no reason to replace the ram-sinks, but I was just
>> wondering about how easy it is to replace the heatsink/fan.
>>
>> Is it stuck on well?
>> How easy is it to remove safely?
>>
>> It says quick and easy installation, but doesn't mention removing the old
>> HS...
>>
>> Has anyone done this before?
>
> I replaced my fan last week on my ti4800 because it had noisy bearings,
> well loud on start up, i replaced it with a iCEBERQ4 as per the link you
> posted but obtained from Maplin. It sounds like a turbofan engine, really
> noisy in comparison with the original. Its easily fitted as its mounted
> with plastic expanding rivet which incidentally i re-used in favour of the
> items provided in the kit.
>
> I also placed the heatsinks on the ram chips at the rear of the card, my
> way of thinking was that the chips on the front have some air flow whereas
> the rear one's don't.

So the iCEBERQ4 is actually noisier than the original!?

A friend of mine had the slightly different version (he had a 5600 which has
different spaced mounting holes) and his was pretty much silent - I'll have
to see if I can have a listen next time I go round there.

How easy was it to get the original off the card?

My Gainward card already has ramsinks on both sides, so I don't need to
touch them, I just want to get the damn thing a bit quieter!

Hi I just fitted one to my PNY TI4600. Very easy to fit, very quiet. Only
down side is the blue LEDs on the fan. Why? even with a clear side on my
case I can't see them, also only 4 memory heat sinks, but 8 chips on my
card, no big deal.

Best price I could fine for one was www.thecoolingshop.com £11.74 inc vat
and delivery - came next day.

> "Phil" <_invalid_@no_spam_.invalid_> wrote in message
> >I have a Gainward Ti4800SE card, and the fan is now quite noisy, so was
> >looking to replace it. It's still a decent card, so I don't want to
damage
> >it just over noise levels, hence why I'm asking here first.
> >
> > The card looks like this:
> >
> > Front:
> > http://www.in4.pl/recenzje/133/ti4800se_przod.jpg
> > Back:
> > http://www.in4.pl/recenzje/133/ti4800se_tyl.jpg
> >
> > I'm looking to replace it with one of these:
> >
> > http://www.vantec.com.tw/ccba4p.html
> >
> > There's obviously no reason to replace the ram-sinks, but I was just
> > wondering about how easy it is to replace the heatsink/fan.
> >
> > Is it stuck on well?
> > How easy is it to remove safely?
> >
> > It says quick and easy installation, but doesn't mention removing the
old
> > HS...
> >
> > Has anyone done this before?
> >
> > Thanks for any advice/pointers.
> >

> The direct links to the images don't seem to work, so the main page they
> were on is:
>
> http://www.in4.pl/recenzje.htm?rec_id=133&rectr_str_numer=1
>
> (top 2 images only)

Hi Phil

> So the iCEBERQ4 is actually noisier than the original!?

Its like a small plane at idle!!

> A friend of mine had the slightly different version (he had a 5600 which
> has different spaced mounting holes) and his was pretty much silent - I'll
> have to see if I can have a listen next time I go round there.
>
> How easy was it to get the original off the card?

Just pop off two rivets, clean off the old heatsink compound, apply new
compound, fit device, refit rivets, grab ya joy stick!!

> My Gainward card already has ramsinks on both sides, so I don't need to
> touch them, I just want to get the damn thing a bit quieter!

Hm!, only one side for me.

No issue for the reasons i gave..

--

> Hi Phil
>
>> So the iCEBERQ4 is actually noisier than the original!?
>
> Its like a small plane at idle!!

Fookin hell, I know what you mean now, I got mine through today, and
well....

Luckily it's not too bad with the side of the case on!

How can the iCEBERQ 4 be noisier than the iCEBERQ when the 4 spins slower!
(5500rpm vs 6000rpm I think)

Very easy to install, the old thermal paste just crumbled away, and there
didn't seem to be much of it either! Also the underside of the old heatsink
was very dusty, so I guess it was about time it was either reapplied or
replaced (It was a plain Al HS as well?!)

Just one more thing - how hot does the underside of your GPU get? With
either heatsink the back of the card gets really quite hot....Just played
UT2004 for a some time with the new H/S and there were no artifacts, so all
looks good.