Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Extreme Computing: Using Diamond Circuits

Last response: in News comments
August 5, 2011 4:17:31 PM

Maybe someday. This technology has potential.
Score
August 5, 2011 4:22:44 PM

Nice to hear that we are making some advances, I'm assuming with the recent technology that allow us to produce artificially made diamonds, the price will drop dramatically and soon we gonna see lots of diamond based devices :) 
Score
Related resources
August 5, 2011 4:29:12 PM

There are a lot of potential applications to circuitry in computers. Graphene, photo-transistors, magnetic switches, diamonds, memristors,ect....
Score
August 5, 2011 4:34:08 PM

Sounds really interesting for computing in extreme conditions.
Score
August 5, 2011 4:34:26 PM

Thank you for sharing this technology! No, really, it's quite exciting. I hope to see the day where silicon will be replaced as the primary material in computer chips.
Score
August 5, 2011 4:41:19 PM

the use of carbon/chemical vapor deposition is not even in question, but whether the technology has advanced enough over the past decade for mass production and meet the same purity requirements as its silicon cousins. Silicon carbide circuitry is a more economical alternative for mass production
Score
August 5, 2011 4:44:51 PM

I want this for one reason: When I rebuild my wife's computer I could claim that I am giving her diamonds!
Score
August 5, 2011 4:44:52 PM

zak_mckrakenThank you for sharing this technology! No, really, it's quite exciting. I hope to see the day where silicon will be replaced as the primary material in computer chips.

Lol, I almost thought you're one of those bots =))) +1
Score
August 5, 2011 4:45:13 PM

This is awesome. 1 carat diamond equivalent to 1 billion transistors? Sounds very promising...
Score
August 5, 2011 5:00:49 PM

I am sure they wont have a laptop with a LCD display, with diamond ckts. The screen would freeze at 300 degree below zero. That would put a new meaning to my computer just froze. Oh, you would freeze as well, lol
Score
August 5, 2011 5:30:04 PM

Diamond replacing silicon? Add the gold pins and Rappers on both coasts will be sportin these chips as bling son! BOO-Ya!

In other news, guys now have code in terms of talking about buying an engagement ring... Example below:

John; "Hey Bob, i bought 4 billion transistors for my girl, hope she says yes" Bob; "Don't get married dude, I'll have nobody else to live vicariously through!"
Score
August 5, 2011 5:30:26 PM

If this makes it into CPU's, Video Cards and Motherboards circuitry in the near future, maybe we would see very cool computers that won't require that many fans or any liquid cooling.

In short we might be able to see the beginning of true SILENT PC's.
Score
August 5, 2011 5:53:58 PM

I believe this technology is part of the need for electronics equipment, namely military, that can survive large EM bursts, like those released by nuclear weapons. This is cool. I just wish we hadn't created the need for them.
Score
August 5, 2011 5:53:58 PM

Combine this and Intel recent tri-gate and you might have something good :D 
Score
August 5, 2011 6:15:43 PM

Moissanite could potentially help in this area. It's a man made diamond except it has silicone in it as well. It's cheap enough to produce.
Score
Anonymous
August 5, 2011 6:48:50 PM

Intel's tri-gate?
Lol... I hope that was sarcasm because tri-gate is about a decade old innovation that AMD was using in it's own CPU's.

Either way, this is nothing new.
Is this supposed to be the first official announcement?
Lol...
They had the ability to do this over a decade ago as well, and it wasn't until NOW that this was put into circulation?

Capitalism/Stagnation at it's finest (why am I not surprised).
Score
August 5, 2011 7:04:58 PM

You forgot to mention diamonds can work at terahertz speed. I've being waiting for this tech to become mainstreams for a decade now.
Score
August 5, 2011 7:25:24 PM

drwho1If this makes it into CPU's, Video Cards and Motherboards circuitry in the near future, maybe we would see very cool computers that won't require that many fans or any liquid cooling.In short we might be able to see the beginning of true SILENT PC's.

Well, maybe possible for a short period of time.... although people will push the tech to the point were we are at now. Needing fans, LC, LN2,ect.

Score
August 5, 2011 7:44:09 PM

Yep, i saw a nova episode of a top secret manufacturer that makes diamonds. The nova crew had to be blind folded so they won't know the location. they talk about the diamond technology and how it can also replace silicone technology and has the potential to make a diamond screen to replace glass for the space shuttle.
Score
August 5, 2011 7:48:52 PM

Even if the chips can handle the thermal issues, you would need to worry about the PC boards. They have more issues with breakage due to expansion and contraction.
Score
August 5, 2011 7:50:40 PM

So that's how the T-1000 took the tanker load full of liquid nitrogen!
Score
August 5, 2011 7:51:44 PM

*Old Spice Guy* "Look at my hand. I have two CPU's for that computer you love. Now look again.. Your CPU's are now DIAMONDS!"

Sorry, I just had to.. But seriously, this would be awesome.. Can you imagine not having to be restricted(basically) to the 100 Celsius ceiling when it comes to overclocking, or the like? I can see it now.. "Whoa bro, your CPU is about to explode! It's at 193 degrees!" "Dang.. I was hoping to hit a modest 400 with this overclock... :( " lol
Score
August 5, 2011 7:54:47 PM

Diamonds... I am still waiting for organic memory that HP was boasting last year...
Score
August 5, 2011 8:30:04 PM

This is where Science puts Alchemy to shame, turning coal into diamonds instead of lead into gold. Too bad a lot of "Scientists" are opting for Alchemy in their quest for Science Fiction instead of Science Fact, or is it just me who thinks that it's curious that there's a pill for everything & that everyone needs one, because everyone has an illness that only pills can do something about? If a shrink will become jobless if his/her patient is ever cured, & gets sponsor $$$ to get you to take them...
Score
Anonymous
August 5, 2011 10:58:50 PM

Does this mean in extreme conditions diamond breasts support heat much better than silicone ones? :-)
Score
August 6, 2011 1:13:39 AM

Won't be too long before guys will start asking for clothes, shoes and a motorcycle.
Score
August 6, 2011 2:12:17 AM

Of course Tom is always interested, "when can WE get our hands on it?" When you get enough gold duuuuh.
Score
August 6, 2011 2:37:56 AM

"The researchers envision their invention to be used in military electronics"

good god, the last thing this world needs is more weapons. please don't go down this road.
Score
August 6, 2011 4:21:15 AM

LOL You do know that besides "Making war" the US military does search and rescue, civil projects, shovels old peoples walk ways in the winter, hands out toys to kids that would never see one and support the economy around every post to name a few non war projects. ON top of that military grade chips are often used in the civilian world where reliability is a must not just convenient. You want to hate on the military, thats fine. Move to a country where the military is used to keep the populace in check, not keep them free.
Score
August 6, 2011 5:24:58 AM

"the US military does search and rescue, civil projects, shovels old peoples walk ways in the winter, hands out toys to kids that would never see one"

we don't need the military for this. other programs can just as easily accomplish these things.

"support the economy"

if you mean "supports defense contractors at the expense of tax payers" then yes.

"ON top of that military grade chips are often used in the civilian world where reliability is a must not just convenient."

we can just as easily invest in chips without turning them into weapons for the military first.

"You want to hate on the military, thats fine."

actually i didn't hate on the military, all i said was don't make more weapons, but you read what you wanted to read, and now i'm responding to your "hate" towards me.

"Move to a country where the military is used to keep the populace in check, not keep them free."

the military doesn't really keep us free. modern threats to american soil don't come from invading armies, they come from individual terrorists who walk right in. modern defense is all about intel gathering. 9/11 could've been easily prevented if the CIA/FBI had acted quicker or we had had better airport security. the military didn't and couldn't have prevented 9/11, and invading afghanistan and iraq have done nothing to make american soil any safer. what they have done is cost us ungodly amounts of money and killed even more americans than died on 9/11. the only people who benefit from war are the defense contractors and their lobbyists.
Score
Anonymous
August 6, 2011 7:27:32 AM

This can has the potential to fix issues with overheating materials in fusion reactors
Score
August 6, 2011 7:40:19 AM

I can just see what happens when the board with these transistor made of "Carbon" hit 400c once.... Poof, toasted... Of course this is just a coating... and chemicals on/involved with it may lower this ignition point...
Score
Anonymous
August 6, 2011 8:22:49 AM

WOW.... it means finally we're gonna have 500mhz cpus on the shuttles and ISS....
Score
August 6, 2011 9:07:43 PM

If a Sandy Bridge die has 995 million transistors, and you can make a billion from a one-carat diamond, then that's one one-carat diamond per chip. Not cheap, if it really used natural diamonds (which I am well aware that it does not).
Score
August 6, 2011 11:07:34 PM

it'll be crazy if u super crazy overclock and see ur cpu glowing and the computer still works, GOO DIAMONDS!
Score
August 9, 2011 6:00:10 PM

tolham"we don't need the military for this. other programs can just as easily accomplish these things."

Oh yes, programs that are working out exeedingly well right? No. The problem is, alot of people just don't give, or contribute their own time, and then, when it comes to making programs that do help out, all people can think to say is "Don't you dare raise taxes!" Simply put, without extra money(taxes) something else must take a hit.. I suppose you think your qualified to make such a decision for 300 million other people?

tolham"if you mean "supports defense contractors at the expense of tax payers" then yes."

If by "supports defense contractors at the expense of the tax payers" you mean, "pumps billions upon billions, into the economy in a way that puts food on the dinner table of millions upon millions of people everyday" Then your absolutely right. Everything can be subjective. Try a different approach.

tolham"we can just as easily invest in chips without turning them into weapons for the military first."

Your almost right. We can invest in chips without turning them into weapons for the military.. However, technology on this planet would not be where it is today without the military. Heck, that super cool thing your posting your opinion on might have not existed by now, if it wasn't for Department of Defense.. However, that is not what military grade is, or suggests buddy. Mil-Spec components are just higher grade(most of the time). In electronics, most components are built to a +/- 10% rating. For some applications, that is too broad.. And that's where Mil-Spec components at +/- 2% and below. As well as having broader operating temperatures, vibration tolerances, etc. But as I said.. We wouldn't be where we are at if it wasn't for the government spending, so your point, and to a lesser, but legit extent, my own.. is mute. We are merely speculating. Le sigh.

tolham"actually i didn't hate on the military, all i said was don't make more weapons, but you read what you wanted to read, and now i'm responding to your "hate" towards me."

Agreed. However, I would have said a more expansive answer would have avoided the outburst from him.. Some people are touchy when they feel the military is being insulted. For some people..their blood actually runs in red, white, and blue. I say let people have their passion.. Just try to be nice in misunderstandings.. Until you must act otherwise.

tolham"the military doesn't really keep us free. modern threats to american soil don't come from invading armies, they come from individual terrorists who walk right in. modern defense is all about intel gathering. 9/11 could've been easily prevented if the CIA/FBI had acted quicker or we had had better airport security. the military didn't and couldn't have prevented 9/11, and invading afghanistan and iraq have done nothing to make american soil any safer. what they have done is cost us ungodly amounts of money and killed even more americans than died on 9/11. the only people who benefit from war are the defense contractors and their lobbyists.

Well now.. The military doesn't keep us free? Interesting notion, however easily, and throughly negateable. You are right, in that modern threats do not come from invading armies..The again..Might that have to do with the fact that our military is by far the most modernized, well funded military on the face of the planet? Best trained? Maybe. Most fit? Hardly. But in shear dollar value, our military is tops.. And that is an amazing hurdle for an invading army. Take our military away, completely, and someone will most assuredly attack. Thousands of years of human history are my references. They are ironclad sources let me tell you what ;P

Now, as for 9/11..shoulda, coulda, woulda. Modern defense is not all about intel gathering.. What your talking about is the "Information Dominance Warfare" aspect of warfare. Only a fool would think that war is all about one finite aspect of war, in all it's horror. Information can be an amazing tool, but info, without the forces, the equipment(tactical and otherwise), and the training, is worthless. The FBI/CIA could have done alot more to have possibly prevented 9/11, as well as airport security.. but did you see what happened when we buffed up security to the "naked scanners"? People whinning and crying everywhere! Simply put, most civilians want to feel protected, never be inconvenienced, and simply put.. pay absolutely nothing, or as near to that as possible, for it.

Invading Iraq and Afghanistan however.. those, while were carried out by the military.. We were directed to do so.. By the highest ranking civilian, which was elected by the people. As such.. His actions, reflect our will as a whole. If we didn't want it, we could have cried out loud enough to stop it. We could have.. But we didn't.

However, as for war benefiting only contractors and lobbyists.. What do you think pulled us out of the Great Depression? Hmmm.... There are plenty of other wars you can study up on, over the course of human history, that shows the exact same. Is it a great way to do it? No. Are other ways preferable? Absolutely. But did it? Yes.

Lets try to keep to facts shall we? Battling opinions with opinions gets no one anywhere (like PC vs Mac, lol). Just shows who whines the most, the loudest, and who got bored first. ;) 
Score
Anonymous
August 10, 2011 9:41:31 PM

$$$ again...
Score
!