NVIDIA TV Out Resolution

Hi all,
On the subject of TV Out from Nvidia Graphics Cards (FX5900 Aopen to be
exact) I was wondering what the best resolution is you should set for a TV.
I have a Philips 32" Widescreen which I assume is 60hz, its not a 100Mhz
model but isn't a TV's resoution 720x576? Therefore isn't 1024x768 overkill?
Or is it a case of the higher the better? I'm talking in terms of watching
DVD's on it more than DivX movies.

Graham

"The Old Man" <bill@micro$oft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> On the subject of TV Out from Nvidia Graphics Cards (FX5900 Aopen to be
> exact) I was wondering what the best resolution is you should set for a
TV.
> I have a Philips 32" Widescreen which I assume is 60hz, its not a 100Mhz
> model but isn't a TV's resoution 720x576? Therefore isn't 1024x768
overkill?
> Or is it a case of the higher the better? I'm talking in terms of watching
> DVD's on it more than DivX movies.

On my PC setting the TV resolution to 1024x768 results in a pannable
display - as you move the mouse around, the image pans. 800x600 is the
resolution to use to avoid panning (I've also read that a higher res can in
some cases cause scaling to occur, which is also a bad thing, although on my
system it just pans), and once overscan is taken into account this is pretty
close to the normal 4:3 TV resolution. I've been using this with my
widescreen TV and setting it to 16:9L mode to cut the top and bottom off -
however, I've read that you can set a custom TV out resolution (1024x576) in
order to avoid this. I'm going to give it a try this week so that I'm not
losing 1/4 of the vertical resolution of the image off the screen.

Dan

Is it an HDTV? TV's dont necessarily have resolutions, you wouldnt say,
isnt the resolution on that regular CRT monitor YYYYxYYY?

Standard tv's can go up to 800x600
HDTVs can go up to 1920x1080
EDTVs can usually go up to 1280x720

"Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net> wrote in message
> Is it an HDTV? TV's dont necessarily have resolutions, you wouldnt say,
> isnt the resolution on that regular CRT monitor YYYYxYYY?
>
> Standard tv's can go up to 800x600
> HDTVs can go up to 1920x1080
> EDTVs can usually go up to 1280x720
>

> "The Old Man" <bill@micro$oft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>> On the subject of TV Out from Nvidia Graphics Cards (FX5900 Aopen to be
>> exact) I was wondering what the best resolution is you should set for a
> TV.
>> I have a Philips 32" Widescreen which I assume is 60hz, its not a 100Mhz
>> model but isn't a TV's resoution 720x576? Therefore isn't 1024x768
> overkill?
>> Or is it a case of the higher the better? I'm talking in terms of
>> watching
>> DVD's on it more than DivX movies.
>>
>> Graham

Thanks for the replies. The TV is not a HDTV, we don;t have HDTV in the UK
yet so I guess the best resolution to set it to would be 800x600. I also
assume I shouldn't use Clone mode as I want my desktop to be 1024x768 or
1280x1024 depending which PC I use.

I messed around last night with setting custom resolutions in the nVidia
drivers for the TV, but I couldn't get anything to output the right ratio. I
created a 1024x576 resolution, that was easy enough, and the secondary
monitor in the nVidia driver image showed it as a widescreen shaped
rectangle. However, WinDVD, PowerDVD, and WMP all kept outputting a 4:3
picture to the TV out with additional black at the top and bottom, even
though the image was showing up on my desktop as 16:9 in WinDVD (I had it
set to use the secondary device for full screen output and to not change the
resolution, so it showed the DVD output in a window at 16:9). It's possible
that the nVidia drivers or the TV out RAMDAC is unable to output a 16:9
image to the TV out, although I've seen posts on forums from people who say
they've managed it. I guess the next thing I could try is to look at
outputting a 4:3 picture which is a 16:9 video stretched vertically
(basically a raw anamorphic signal).

I'm using XP with an FX5900XT and the 56.72 drivers, in case anyone is
interested.

Dan

nOm

Distinguished
May 29, 2003

The Old Man wrote:
> Hi all,
> On the subject of TV Out from Nvidia Graphics Cards (FX5900 Aopen to
> be exact) I was wondering what the best resolution is you should set
> for a TV. I have a Philips 32" Widescreen which I assume is 60hz, its
> not a 100Mhz model but isn't a TV's resoution 720x576?

Approximately, yes.

> Therefore isn't 1024x768 overkill?

Yes, but the image will still display just fine on your TV.

> Or is it a case of the higher the better?
> I'm talking in terms of watching DVD's on it more than DivX movies.

Try it and see. I find that DVDs look identical on my 16:9 TV when played
with PowerDVD, whether I set the res to 720x576, 800x600 or 1024x768.

nOm

Distinguished
May 29, 2003

Spack wrote:
> I messed around last night with setting custom resolutions in the
> nVidia drivers for the TV, but I couldn't get anything to output the
> right ratio.

You don't need to.

Play your DVDs in PowerDVD, and clear the KeepAspectRatio option - this will
then display the video as anamorphic (ie, 16:9). All you need to do then, is
set your TV to 16:9 Anamorphic mode.

This will work whether your TV-Out is set to 800x600 or 1024x768, or any
other 4:3 resolution.

> I created a 1024x576 resolution, that was easy enough,
> and the secondary monitor in the nVidia driver image showed it as a
> widescreen shaped rectangle. However, WinDVD, PowerDVD, and WMP all
> kept outputting a 4:3 picture to the TV out with additional black at
> the top and bottom, even though the image was showing up on my
> desktop as 16:9 in WinDVD (I had it set to use the secondary device
> for full screen output and to not change the resolution, so it showed
> the DVD output in a window at 16:9). It's possible that the nVidia
> drivers or the TV out RAMDAC is unable to output a 16:9 image to the
> TV out, although I've seen posts on forums from people who say
> they've managed it. I guess the next thing I could try is to look at
> outputting a 4:3 picture which is a 16:9 video stretched vertically
> (basically a raw anamorphic signal).

See above. You just need to NOT use the KeepAspectRatio option in PowerDVD.