Delay with NVidia Stereo drivers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b \ Driver
September 21, 2004 10:57:39 PM

Hello,

Is anybody using the NVidia stereo drivers with games, OpenGL demos or the
like and experiencing a delay until the stereo mode activates?

I am experiencing a delay with e.g. Quake2 , the Coin3D graphics API
and a self-made OpenGL demo, but no delay with Windows OpenGL screensavers
(e.g. tubes) and with Futuremark's 3DMark03. I am wondering, where this
delay is coming from and how to get rid of it.

A test revealed that (in case of the delay) about 550 buffer swaps have to
be performed before the stereo mode is activated. So manually performing
550 buffer swaps in a for loop in my program reduces the delay to nearly
nothing (without VSync), but i think there has to be a more elegant
solution... ;-)

Any hints welcome.

Cheers,
Guido
September 21, 2004 10:57:40 PM

"G Heumer" <gheumer@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Is anybody using the NVidia stereo drivers with games, OpenGL demos or the
> like and experiencing a delay until the stereo mode activates?
>
> I am experiencing a delay with e.g. Quake2 , the Coin3D graphics API
> and a self-made OpenGL demo, but no delay with Windows OpenGL screensavers
> (e.g. tubes) and with Futuremark's 3DMark03. I am wondering, where this
> delay is coming from and how to get rid of it.
>
> A test revealed that (in case of the delay) about 550 buffer swaps have to
> be performed before the stereo mode is activated. So manually performing
> 550 buffer swaps in a for loop in my program reduces the delay to nearly
> nothing (without VSync), but i think there has to be a more elegant
> solution... ;-)
>
> Any hints welcome.
>
> Cheers,
> Guido
No, I get no delay! What driver versions are you using? I am using 61.76,
but I did'nt get any delay with 56.64 either...
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 22, 2004 3:28:48 PM

GTS wrote:

> No, I get no delay! What driver versions are you using? I am using 61.76,
> but I did'nt get any delay with 56.64 either...

The newest version downloadable from NVidia: 61.77.

Cheers,
Guido
!