6800GT to Ultra bios?

I have just installed a Leadtek 6800GT and was wondering if it was possible
to flash said card to an Ultra?, using the downloadable Leadtek 6800 Ultra
bios?

Also, will the card now be displayed as a 6800 Ultra?, in terms of the
Leadtek bios show at system boot + in the Nvidia display driver control
panel?

Any insight is appreciated.

I think the Ultra bios provides a slight voltage boost over the GT
bios.

Some that have flashed to Ultra reported they fried the card while
others "claimed" to get a few fps boost afterwards but with higher
temps than before.

Keep in mind that if you fry the card you cannot flash it back ...hence
no replacement even if you lied to Leadtek and claimed you did nothing
to void the warranty.

::enkrypt

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have just installed a Leadtek 6800GT and was wondering if it was possible
>to flash said card to an Ultra?, using the downloadable Leadtek 6800 Ultra
>bios?
>
> Also, will the card now be displayed as a 6800 Ultra?, in terms of the
> Leadtek bios show at system boot + in the Nvidia display driver control
> panel?
>
> Any insight is appreciated.

It better if you can OC the GT card instead of flashing the BIOS.

CapFusion,...

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:38:57 +0100, Richard Dower wrote:

> I have just installed a Leadtek 6800GT and was wondering if it was
> possible to flash said card to an Ultra?

I thought the only difference was the core and memory speeds. Just
overclock them to Ultra speeds if you can, and lo, you have an Ultra.

--

..

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

I have done this myself (with the reference nvidia ultra bios). It is
generally a bad idea. The card was less stable than before, and overclocked
much less than a modified GT bios. I suspect this is because of the
different ram timings an ultra card can use, but am not certain.

The one benefit I noticed over my PNY GT bios, was that the card's fan
actually used 3 different speeds, and as far as I could tell was also
running at a higher rpm when a full 3D app kicked in. The PNY bios never
seems to kick into highgear when I fire up a game. Anyway since it wouldn't
overclock as far, this difference isn't significant.

I suggest you get a modified Leadtek GT bios (with increased 3D core
voltage). Check http://www.mvktech.net/ and ask on ocforums.net and
xtremesystems.org

rms

"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>I have done this myself (with the reference nvidia ultra bios). It is
>generally a bad idea. The card was less stable than before, and
>overclocked much less than a modified GT bios. I suspect this is because
>of the different ram timings an ultra card can use, but am not certain.
>
> The one benefit I noticed over my PNY GT bios, was that the card's fan
> actually used 3 different speeds, and as far as I could tell was also
> running at a higher rpm when a full 3D app kicked in. The PNY bios never
> seems to kick into highgear when I fire up a game. Anyway since it
> wouldn't overclock as far, this difference isn't significant.
>
> I suggest you get a modified Leadtek GT bios (with increased 3D core
> voltage). Check http://www.mvktech.net/ and ask on ocforums.net and
> xtremesystems.org
>
> rms

im at a loss...why would u bother ?

Staf

Is it really so important to overclock a card to get only a few percent
extra fps with the risk that you damage the hardware?
Is it really worth the risk?

Actually, I have never tried it so far.
I'm just wondering if I should ever consider overclocking when I gonne buy a
GT.

regards,
Marcel