XP and nVidia drivers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b \ Driver
September 22, 2004 7:19:38 PM

I just upgraded my kids' computer from 98se to XP pro. I did the upgrade,
not full installation. I can't get any nVidia drivers working for their
Ti4400. For example, 61.77s will start to load, then the screen goes blank
and locks.Sometimes I have a hard time getting back into XP. The video
drivers say standard VGA, but I don't seem to have an option to load
standard VGA drivers. When XP starts, I get an error that some nv* file
couldn't load or wasn't found. I've used "driver cleaner", but it didn't
help. I've also deleted some nv registry entries, but it didn't make any
difference. I uninstalled the nvidia drivers, but still get the message when
XP starts that the file can't load. I installed an old V5500 and the error
message remains, although the video driver is recognized as 3dfx.
When I do a disc scan, there are a lot of errors all around the nv files
installed in the System32 folder. They keep reoccurring.
I'm thinking I'll have to format the HD and start over, but I'm new to XP
(been using 98se and W2K) and would like to know if there's something else I
can try before starting over and doing it the long way.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

More about : nvidia drivers

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 23, 2004 3:09:56 AM

For using the older Ti4200 video card, you need to first remove the current
video driver and then install the 45.23 driver for stability.

--
DaveW

"GTX_SlotCar" <deroy@maine.rr.com> wrote in message
>I just upgraded my kids' computer from 98se to XP pro. I did the upgrade,
> not full installation. I can't get any nVidia drivers working for their
> Ti4400. For example, 61.77s will start to load, then the screen goes blank
> and locks.Sometimes I have a hard time getting back into XP. The video
> drivers say standard VGA, but I don't seem to have an option to load
> standard VGA drivers. When XP starts, I get an error that some nv* file
> couldn't load or wasn't found. I've used "driver cleaner", but it didn't
> help. I've also deleted some nv registry entries, but it didn't make any
> difference. I uninstalled the nvidia drivers, but still get the message
> when
> XP starts that the file can't load. I installed an old V5500 and the error
> message remains, although the video driver is recognized as 3dfx.
> When I do a disc scan, there are a lot of errors all around the nv files
> installed in the System32 folder. They keep reoccurring.
> I'm thinking I'll have to format the HD and start over, but I'm new to XP
> (been using 98se and W2K) and would like to know if there's something else
> can try before starting over and doing it the long way.
>
> Gary
>
> --
> Tweaks & Reviews
> www.slottweak.com

September 24, 2004 11:30:50 AM

GTX_SlotCar wrote:

> I just upgraded my kids' computer from 98se to XP pro. I did the upgrade,
> not full installation. I can't get any nVidia drivers working for their
> Ti4400. For example, 61.77s will start to load, then the screen goes blank
> and locks.Sometimes I have a hard time getting back into XP. The video
> drivers say standard VGA, but I don't seem to have an option to load
> standard VGA drivers. When XP starts, I get an error that some nv* file
> couldn't load or wasn't found. I've used "driver cleaner", but it didn't
> help. I've also deleted some nv registry entries, but it didn't make any
> difference. I uninstalled the nvidia drivers, but still get the message when
> XP starts that the file can't load. I installed an old V5500 and the error
> message remains, although the video driver is recognized as 3dfx.
> When I do a disc scan, there are a lot of errors all around the nv files
> installed in the System32 folder. They keep reoccurring.
> I'm thinking I'll have to format the HD and start over, but I'm new to XP
> (been using 98se and W2K) and would like to know if there's something else I
> can try before starting over and doing it the long way.
>
> Gary

Over the years I have learned that the only MS OS that can be upgraded
is MSDOS. From Win95 to WinXP, upgrades will usually break something -
such as hardware support - and create an unstable system. I always
start clean. In the long run, a clean install is faster than risking
days tryin to track down some funky MS "feature"

As for you, turn off system retore, etc. XP caches critical system
files and will restore them automagically if it thinks they were
currupted - usually when you try to upgrade a driver. Boot into safe
mode and clear out ALL video drivers leavig only vga. Clean up registry
and win98 legacy drives/files. Then boot back into normal mode and
update chipset, dx and then install 61.77. you may not be able to run
the nvidea setup so use winxp video driver update tab and chose "have
disk" to point to the inf file.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 24, 2004 3:41:44 PM

Thanks, and thanks to all those who replied. As it turns out, my Abit SD7
motherboard may have partially fried the Ti4400 and it may have nothing to
do with XP. As a reminder, this is my kids' computer I'm working on. It's
basically my old stuff after I upgrade. I just put the Ti4400 in my computer
and it wouldn't even load into Windows (Win2000 on mine).
The kids' computer with XP is running fine with an old Voodoo 5 5500.
The SD7 is one of a very few P4 mb's that will run the AGP slot at either
3.3 or 1.5 volts, so it'll run older cards like the 3dfx.
I put the Ti4400 back in the kids' computer last night and checked the AGP
voltage in bios. It read 3.3v. Ouch! I don't know if it's set this way
because the 4400 is partially fried or if the SD7 caused the problem in the
1st place. But, I'm not about to stick my 6800gt in there to find out.
A few months ago, I bought a 9800Pro and put the 4400 in the kids' computer
and all was fine. The 9800Pro died a month ago, so I ordered the 6800,
borrowed the 4400 from the kids in the meantime, and put the V5500 back in
their computer. I left it in there even after I got my 6800 because I knew a
replacement 9800 was coming in. When it arrived, I put it in their computer
(still with Win98) and it had dots as soon as anything with 3D started. I
assumed this card was also bad and newegg is sending me another replacement.
So, I put the 4400 in their computer and it ran fine (except it was stuck at
60hz). This Ti4400 oc's pretty well, so I thought I'd load Riva Tuner and
give it a little boost. When I had Riva Tuner check the default timings,
everything went blank. So I uninstalled RT and the nv drivers, reinstalled
the drivers and got it going again. Seemed to run fine, still stuck at 60hz,
though. I installed coolbits and as soon as I got into video properties
everything locked up again. Since there isn't any help for 60Hz lock in W98
but there is plenty of info on it for W2k and XP, I decided it was time to
finally do the upgrade to XP.
Before I throw out the 4400, I'll try a bios flash and see if it fixes it.
When the replacement 9800pro comes in, I'll do a quick voltage check in the
SD7's bios before going too far.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews