Did I just fry my video card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2004 5:49:38 AM

I spent the last couple of hours installing my new Zalman ZM-80C
heatpipe onto my BFG ti4600 video card. To do that, I had to remove the
HSF from the card. The fan came off easily but the HS didn't. I tried to
pry it off with a screwdriver but it was stuck on pretty hard. I had no
clue how to proceed. The Zalman instructions didn't address that stuff.
I reasoned, that if I heat the chip up some, the adhesive would loosen
some and it would be easier to pry off the HS. So, I installed the card
and started the machine. I only had it on for 20 or 30 seconds max, I
figure. At first it looked screwy. Zeroes running from top to bottom,
scrolling. I saw some other stuff in there, the typical boot
information. Maybe some error messages, I don't know. I may have reset
it, I can't remember. I stopped the machine and took out the card and
pried the HS off. My strategy of loosening the adhesive seemed to have
worked and I just hoped that I didn't fry the GPU. I figured maybe that
weird stuff was because the fan wasn't attached.

I got the heatpipe on and it's doing the same thing when I try to boot
to Windows 2000. When the Windows logo shows, there's some vertical
lines that come and go, then a clear Windows startup logo, then my
monitor goes blank! I guess I have to buy another video card, huh?

More about : fry video card

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2004 5:04:17 PM

The good news is that now you can get a dx9 card :-)

mike

"Dan Musicant" <musicant@SpamNot.pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:p 08cl0t22dquvfsvajrf9snja1c80coue5@4ax.com...
>I spent the last couple of hours installing my new Zalman ZM-80C
> heatpipe onto my BFG ti4600 video card. To do that, I had to remove the
> HSF from the card. The fan came off easily but the HS didn't. I tried to
> pry it off with a screwdriver but it was stuck on pretty hard. I had no
> clue how to proceed. The Zalman instructions didn't address that stuff.
> I reasoned, that if I heat the chip up some, the adhesive would loosen
> some and it would be easier to pry off the HS. So, I installed the card
> and started the machine. I only had it on for 20 or 30 seconds max, I
> figure. At first it looked screwy. Zeroes running from top to bottom,
> scrolling. I saw some other stuff in there, the typical boot
> information. Maybe some error messages, I don't know. I may have reset
> it, I can't remember. I stopped the machine and took out the card and
> pried the HS off. My strategy of loosening the adhesive seemed to have
> worked and I just hoped that I didn't fry the GPU. I figured maybe that
> weird stuff was because the fan wasn't attached.
>
> I got the heatpipe on and it's doing the same thing when I try to boot
> to Windows 2000. When the Windows logo shows, there's some vertical
> lines that come and go, then a clear Windows startup logo, then my
> monitor goes blank! I guess I have to buy another video card, huh?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2004 5:19:09 PM

"Dan Musicant" <musicant@SpamNot.pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:p 08cl0t22dquvfsvajrf9snja1c80coue5@4ax.com...
>I spent the last couple of hours installing my new Zalman ZM-80C
> heatpipe onto my BFG ti4600 video card. To do that, I had to remove the
> HSF from the card. The fan came off easily but the HS didn't. I tried to
> pry it off with a screwdriver but it was stuck on pretty hard. I had no
> clue how to proceed. The Zalman instructions didn't address that stuff.
> I reasoned, that if I heat the chip up some, the adhesive would loosen
> some and it would be easier to pry off the HS. So, I installed the card
> and started the machine. I only had it on for 20 or 30 seconds max, I
> figure. At first it looked screwy. Zeroes running from top to bottom,
> scrolling. I saw some other stuff in there, the typical boot
> information. Maybe some error messages, I don't know. I may have reset
> it, I can't remember. I stopped the machine and took out the card and
> pried the HS off. My strategy of loosening the adhesive seemed to have
> worked and I just hoped that I didn't fry the GPU. I figured maybe that
> weird stuff was because the fan wasn't attached.
>
> I got the heatpipe on and it's doing the same thing when I try to boot
> to Windows 2000. When the Windows logo shows, there's some vertical
> lines that come and go, then a clear Windows startup logo, then my
> monitor goes blank! I guess I have to buy another video card, huh?

Yes
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 26, 2004 5:19:10 PM

"Fred At Home" <fredlly@yuorkiiding.com> wrote in message

> "Dan Musicant" <musicant@SpamNot.pacbell.net> wrote in message
> news:p 08cl0t22dquvfsvajrf9snja1c80coue5@4ax.com...
>>I spent the last couple of hours installing my new Zalman ZM-80C
>> heatpipe onto my BFG ti4600 video card. To do that, I had to remove the
>> HSF from the card. The fan came off easily but the HS didn't. I tried to
>> pry it off with a screwdriver but it was stuck on pretty hard. I had no
>> clue how to proceed. The Zalman instructions didn't address that stuff.
>> I reasoned, that if I heat the chip up some, the adhesive would loosen
>> some and it would be easier to pry off the HS. So, I installed the card
>> and started the machine. I only had it on for 20 or 30 seconds max, I
>> figure. At first it looked screwy. Zeroes running from top to bottom,
>> scrolling. I saw some other stuff in there, the typical boot
>> information. Maybe some error messages, I don't know. I may have reset
>> it, I can't remember. I stopped the machine and took out the card and
>> pried the HS off. My strategy of loosening the adhesive seemed to have
>> worked and I just hoped that I didn't fry the GPU. I figured maybe that
>> weird stuff was because the fan wasn't attached.
>>
>> I got the heatpipe on and it's doing the same thing when I try to boot
>> to Windows 2000. When the Windows logo shows, there's some vertical
>> lines that come and go, then a clear Windows startup logo, then my
>> monitor goes blank! I guess I have to buy another video card, huh?
>
> Yes

And next time just use a hairdryer if you want to remove the HS. Lol...
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2004 2:05:52 AM

Runnign a newer video card without cooling for any length of time risks
frying it.

--
DaveW

"Dan Musicant" <musicant@SpamNot.pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:p 08cl0t22dquvfsvajrf9snja1c80coue5@4ax.com...
>I spent the last couple of hours installing my new Zalman ZM-80C
> heatpipe onto my BFG ti4600 video card. To do that, I had to remove the
> HSF from the card. The fan came off easily but the HS didn't. I tried to
> pry it off with a screwdriver but it was stuck on pretty hard. I had no
> clue how to proceed. The Zalman instructions didn't address that stuff.
> I reasoned, that if I heat the chip up some, the adhesive would loosen
> some and it would be easier to pry off the HS. So, I installed the card
> and started the machine. I only had it on for 20 or 30 seconds max, I
> figure. At first it looked screwy. Zeroes running from top to bottom,
> scrolling. I saw some other stuff in there, the typical boot
> information. Maybe some error messages, I don't know. I may have reset
> it, I can't remember. I stopped the machine and took out the card and
> pried the HS off. My strategy of loosening the adhesive seemed to have
> worked and I just hoped that I didn't fry the GPU. I figured maybe that
> weird stuff was because the fan wasn't attached.
>
> I got the heatpipe on and it's doing the same thing when I try to boot
> to Windows 2000. When the Windows logo shows, there's some vertical
> lines that come and go, then a clear Windows startup logo, then my
> monitor goes blank! I guess I have to buy another video card, huh?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2004 4:50:34 AM

> Runnign a newer video card without cooling for any length of time risks
> frying it.

Don't the newest of the new cards have thermal protection like Pentium 4's
do?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 27, 2004 6:20:57 PM

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 13:04:17 GMT, "Mike P" <mike@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

:The good news is that now you can get a dx9 card :-)
:
:mike

Will I be able to use my Zalman ZM-80C with it without a fan?

Actually, the good news is that the next morning (yesterday) I put the
card in my other PC and there didn't appear to be any problem. I put it
back in my main everyday PC, again no problem!!!

I wonder what could have happened! I'll try to better describe what I
saw. Now, the reason I decided to try it again is that I was amazed that
the card fried so fast. I mean, the HS was still on it, only the fan had
been removed. It appeared that the anomalies occurred within the first
15 seconds or so of the boot process. How could a video card's GPU fry
so fast? I mean, video cards' fans die all the time. They don't fry in
15 seconds, though I figure.

There was vertical columns of zeros every inch or so the scrolled from
top to bottom during the boot process, and I guess other characters,
seemingly on top of some of the other normal boot messages you see
before the Windows splash screen comes up. When the splash screen did
appear, at first it had sporadic vertical lines flickering on and off.
Black, perhaps, an inch of two long, thin. Then for a couple of seconds
the splash screen looked OK and then, bam, my LCD monitor said "No
Signal." When I went in the BIOS, I had the usual blue background and I
saw a lot of the usual stuff but there were a lot of other things and
some of the words were misspelled!!! There would be a "y" where there
should be an "e", stuff like that.

Does anyone have any idea what happened. Thanks !!! :)

Dan
:
[...]
:>
:> I got the heatpipe on and it's doing the same thing when I try to boot
:> to Windows 2000. When the Windows logo shows, there's some vertical
:> lines that come and go, then a clear Windows startup logo, then my
:> monitor goes blank! I guess I have to buy another video card, huh?
:
September 28, 2004 12:00:44 AM

"Dan_Musicant" <man@privacy.net> blarted in

> There was vertical columns of zeros every inch or so the scrolled from
> top to bottom during the boot process, and I guess other characters,

It is simple. The Matrix has you.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2004 6:28:01 AM

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:20:57 GMT, Dan_Musicant <man@privacy.net> wrote:

>There was vertical columns of zeros every inch or so the scrolled from
>top to bottom during the boot process, and I guess other characters,
>seemingly on top of some of the other normal boot messages you see
>before the Windows splash screen comes up. When the splash screen did
>appear, at first it had sporadic vertical lines flickering on and off.
>Black, perhaps, an inch of two long, thin. Then for a couple of seconds
>the splash screen looked OK and then, bam, my LCD monitor said "No
>Signal." When I went in the BIOS, I had the usual blue background and I
>saw a lot of the usual stuff but there were a lot of other things and
>some of the words were misspelled!!! There would be a "y" where there
>should be an "e", stuff like that.
>
>Does anyone have any idea what happened. Thanks !!! :)

While pulling and prying on the old heatsink.....you may have loosened
some of the legs to the GPU that attach to the circuit board.
I'd get a good magifying glass and look closely at the connections around
the GPU.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2004 3:49:37 PM

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 02:28:01 GMT, Big_Jerk <ric.duncan@verizon.net>
wrote:

[...]

Gosh, I don't know. The card's working. I don't know what to think. I
wonder. I have MBM 5 installed. Is it possible the it (or the BIOS)
picked up the fact that a fan wasn't connected to the fan leads? Don't
know why that would put garbage characters on the screen. I was sure my
card was history and I was pissed at myself. So far nobody has any ideas
except maybe I damaged the card with my screwdriver blade when I tried
to pry off the HS or else the card wasn't seated right.

Any other ideas? Thanks!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2004 3:51:09 PM

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:00:44 +0000 (UTC), "Stevo" <Not@here.com> wrote:

:
:"Dan_Musicant" <man@privacy.net> blarted in
:news:mv7gl0do5ii6eedc50845u41cvdldfh2ts@4ax.com...
:
:> There was vertical columns of zeros every inch or so the scrolled from
:> top to bottom during the boot process, and I guess other characters,
:
:It is simple. The Matrix has you.

Fortunately, I don't take that movie too seriously. I have watched it a
couple times. Nice special effects, well crafted (very unevenly though),
crummy script.
!