good card on a low budget

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hi all,

I need to upgrade my card but I have almost no money. Regardless of what I
do I wll have to save up for one.

Being as I would like to get one in the next couple of months I will
probably have to settle for one that costs less than $150 usd.

I have seen some promising leads on Newegg like a leadtek 5700 ultra for
$155 or so. But from what I've heard to play some of the newer games I will
need at least a 5900.

Also With new geforce chips coming out will their possibly be a nv4x chip
for less than my set limit in say 3 months or so. If it will be worth the
wait I could maybe go as long as 4 months before upgrading as My fave games
(ut2k4 and AA) are running fairly well on low settings.

I'm not deadset on getting either Nvidia or ATI, I just need a good card on
a budget.

TIA
Will

system specs:
Pentium 4 2.4 ghz
768 mb ddr266
gigabyte radeon 9200se 128mb ram o/cd to 250/200 Cat 4.9s
XP sp2
SB Audigy1

JohnS

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Gigabyte 9600XT at mwave.com

Mine runs Far Cry as well as I have seen it run with
good frame rate and all the eye candy. Doom 3 is
very playable. And MOHAA, CoD is no problem
at all.

johns

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I'd either (1) hold out for a GeForce 6600, or (2) get an FX5900[XT]
cheap on eBay. I did (2), because I didn't want to wait until Christmas.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

As it gets closer to Christmas, prices will drop.
Also during the six days after Christmas, Retailers/Wholesalers will try to
clear out as much computer stuff as possible.
Inventory tax is paid on anything leftover after Dec 31st.

Also with the Nvidia 6600 coming out, it will help drop the price on other
Nvidia based cards.

Personaly, I'm happy with my ATI 9600 PRO AIW.
ATI 9600XTs are currently down to $140 mailorder.
Should get cheaper as Christmas gets closer.

"Will" <wrichmond@charter.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I need to upgrade my card but I have almost no money. Regardless of what I
> do I wll have to save up for one.
>
> Being as I would like to get one in the next couple of months I will
> probably have to settle for one that costs less than $150 usd.
>
> I have seen some promising leads on Newegg like a leadtek 5700 ultra for
> $155 or so. But from what I've heard to play some of the newer games I
> will need at least a 5900.
>
> Also With new geforce chips coming out will their possibly be a nv4x chip
> for less than my set limit in say 3 months or so. If it will be worth the
> wait I could maybe go as long as 4 months before upgrading as My fave
> games (ut2k4 and AA) are running fairly well on low settings.
>
> I'm not deadset on getting either Nvidia or ATI, I just need a good card
> on a budget.
>
> TIA
> Will
>
> system specs:
> Pentium 4 2.4 ghz
> 768 mb ddr266
> gigabyte radeon 9200se 128mb ram o/cd to 250/200 Cat 4.9s
> XP sp2
> SB Audigy1

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

ATI's are decent/good gaming cards, but if you want to run any OpenGL apps
(3DSmax, CADD, etc), go with NVIDIA.

Luc
Mechanical Designer

"Will" <wrichmond@charter.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I need to upgrade my card but I have almost no money. Regardless of what I
> do I wll have to save up for one.
>
> Being as I would like to get one in the next couple of months I will
> probably have to settle for one that costs less than $150 usd.
>
> I have seen some promising leads on Newegg like a leadtek 5700 ultra for
> $155 or so. But from what I've heard to play some of the newer games I
will
> need at least a 5900.
>
> Also With new geforce chips coming out will their possibly be a nv4x chip
> for less than my set limit in say 3 months or so. If it will be worth the
> wait I could maybe go as long as 4 months before upgrading as My fave
games
> (ut2k4 and AA) are running fairly well on low settings.
>
> I'm not deadset on getting either Nvidia or ATI, I just need a good card
on
> a budget.
>
> TIA
> Will
>
> system specs:
> Pentium 4 2.4 ghz
> 768 mb ddr266
> gigabyte radeon 9200se 128mb ram o/cd to 250/200 Cat 4.9s
> XP sp2
> SB Audigy1

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

In article <10leve677dplif9@corp.supernews.com>, wrichmond@charter.net
says...
> Hi all,
>
> I need to upgrade my card but I have almost no money. Regardless of what I
> do I wll have to save up for one.
>
> Being as I would like to get one in the next couple of months I will
> probably have to settle for one that costs less than $150 usd.
>
> I have seen some promising leads on Newegg like a leadtek 5700 ultra for
> $155 or so. But from what I've heard to play some of the newer games I will
> need at least a 5900.

The 5700 Ultra is an O.K. card, but the FX5900XT is much better and only
about $25 more (new). Like another poster said eBay is a good place to
pick up a used FX5900XT cheap. A lot of people have upgraded to the 6800
series and are selling their used cards on eBay. You could probably pick
one up for under your price target.

Some people don't like eBay. I have been buying and selling there for 4
years with no problems.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I can also vouch for the fx 5900 xt cards, good price and excellent
performance. Doom 3 runs at 1024x768 in 'High' mode at a steady 40 fps and
most games will run at 1280x1024 without any problems. One of these should
see you through the next batch of big game releases.

"Will" <wrichmond@charter.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I need to upgrade my card but I have almost no money. Regardless of what I
> do I wll have to save up for one.
>
> Being as I would like to get one in the next couple of months I will
> probably have to settle for one that costs less than $150 usd.
>
> I have seen some promising leads on Newegg like a leadtek 5700 ultra for
> $155 or so. But from what I've heard to play some of the newer games I
> will need at least a 5900.
>
> Also With new geforce chips coming out will their possibly be a nv4x chip
> for less than my set limit in say 3 months or so. If it will be worth the
> wait I could maybe go as long as 4 months before upgrading as My fave
> games (ut2k4 and AA) are running fairly well on low settings.
>
> I'm not deadset on getting either Nvidia or ATI, I just need a good card
> on a budget.
>
> TIA
> Will
>
> system specs:
> Pentium 4 2.4 ghz
> 768 mb ddr266
> gigabyte radeon 9200se 128mb ram o/cd to 250/200 Cat 4.9s
> XP sp2
> SB Audigy1

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

If I were you I would not buy an FX card. Either wait for a 6600 or get an
ATI card like a 9600xt or 9700pro or 9800pro.

DaveL

"Will" <wrichmond@charter.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I need to upgrade my card but I have almost no money. Regardless of what I
> do I wll have to save up for one.
>
> Being as I would like to get one in the next couple of months I will
> probably have to settle for one that costs less than $150 usd.
>
> I have seen some promising leads on Newegg like a leadtek 5700 ultra for
> $155 or so. But from what I've heard to play some of the newer games I
will
> need at least a 5900.
>
> Also With new geforce chips coming out will their possibly be a nv4x chip
> for less than my set limit in say 3 months or so. If it will be worth the
> wait I could maybe go as long as 4 months before upgrading as My fave
games
> (ut2k4 and AA) are running fairly well on low settings.
>
> I'm not deadset on getting either Nvidia or ATI, I just need a good card
on
> a budget.
>
> TIA
> Will
>
> system specs:
> Pentium 4 2.4 ghz
> 768 mb ddr266
> gigabyte radeon 9200se 128mb ram o/cd to 250/200 Cat 4.9s
> XP sp2
> SB Audigy1

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Well, if you use pricewatch.com, be sure to cross refrence it with
resellerratings.com or something. I just use newegg, myself. The extra
bucks above the minimum pricewatch price
are money well spent, considering newegg ships the right item fast (and
cheap, usually free),
has good customer service, and no hassle returns.