newbie: video capture

I've got an AGP graphics that shows up in my WinXP PC as an Nvidia Geforce2
MX. I'm new to this thing called video capture and I don't know what
software I need. The graphics card has a couple of round ports on it (next
to the monitor socket), one like a phono socket (yellow) that's labelled
'comp out' ('composite out'?) and another socket (black) which is a multipin
(bit like a din socket).
I expect I would plug an external video feed into this socket to make it
appear on my computer screen.
What software do I need to display the video image, and where can I get it?
Is there any freeware that does this?
And what would the adapter be called that I need to plug into the din-like
socket?, and where could I get it?
Thanks for any help.

"tg" <tg@nospamevereverever.net> wrote in message
> I've got an AGP graphics that shows up in my WinXP PC as an Nvidia
> Geforce2 MX. I'm new to this thing called video capture and I don't know
> what software I need. The graphics card has a couple of round ports on it
> (next to the monitor socket), one like a phono socket (yellow) that's
> labelled 'comp out' ('composite out'?) and another socket (black) which is
> a multipin (bit like a din socket).
> I expect I would plug an external video feed into this socket to make it
> appear on my computer screen.
> What software do I need to display the video image, and where can I get
> it? Is there any freeware that does this?
> And what would the adapter be called that I need to plug into the din-like
> socket?, and where could I get it?
> Thanks for any help.

Do you have a QuickStart Guide or similar that come with the card? It should
have some sort of diagram on those ports.
Yellow port - Composite or RCA
Multipin - S-VIDEO [4pins]

You can use either of those port to attach to either your TV or VCR.

If you using the latest driver like 61.77, this link should show you howto
set or configure Multi-display -
http://www.nvidia.com/object/display-config.html

CapFusion,...

"tg" <tg@nospamevereverever.net> wrote in message
> I've got an AGP graphics that shows up in my WinXP PC as an Nvidia
> Geforce2 MX. I'm new to this thing called video capture and I don't know
> what software I need. The graphics card has a couple of round ports on it
> (next to the monitor socket), one like a phono socket (yellow) that's
> labelled 'comp out' ('composite out'?) and another socket (black) which is
> a multipin (bit like a din socket).
> I expect I would plug an external video feed into this socket to make it
> appear on my computer screen.
> What software do I need to display the video image, and where can I get
> it? Is there any freeware that does this?
> And what would the adapter be called that I need to plug into the din-like
> socket?, and where could I get it?
> Thanks for any help.
Unless the card specifically allows for Video In, it's only Video OUT....
the multipin is an S-Video the other is composite out.....
www.coribright.com

"Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message

> Unless the card specifically allows for Video In, it's only Video OUT....
> the multipin is an S-Video the other is composite out.....
> --
alas I think you're right, and thankyou for putting me straight on this. It
would appear it's a video 'out' card only. I suppose I'll have to get one of
those usb video capture box thingy's.

Hi,

Slightly off topic for the NVidia group but I just have to relate my
experience of this...

I have had a very good experience with the Hauppage WinTV PVR 350
capture card. it comes with WinTV 2000 for capturing and I downloaded
Ulead's Video Studio 30 day free trial software for editing and
DVD creation.

I also got myself a DVD writer. I managed to copy all my old Video 8
camcorder tapes to my PC and then DVD, thus backing them up!
It really is an excellent setup if you want to do this sort of thing.

You can save a little money by getting the WinTV 250 it has the same
hardware MPEG encoder as the 350 just not the hardware decoder for TV
out, which I didnt, but didnt realise until after i bought the 350.

In the UK the prices are:

WinTV 250 = £70
Ulead Video Studio Software = £50
Pioneer *8 DVD writer: £50

Total = £120

It would have cost me £40 per HOUR to get a "professional" company to
transfer my tapes to DVD!! So I saved myself some money.

Best regards,
Paul