6800 GT temperature question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 28, 2004 1:00:53 AM

got an msi 6800 GT

after booting the PC I got some 57 (in the green) and after running
Far Cry for some 30 minutes the temperature hits 85 (bottom of the red
scale) but dropping fast after leaving Far Cry, of course.

only got a mini-tower, lots of stuff in it, good PSU (Antec True 550),
but no additional cooling

you think the temp mentioned above is too high for a long lifetime of
the card?

thanks a lot for any hints!

Cole ***
--
Johnny: [plugging back in the runway lights]
"Just kidding."

I have a BFG 6800 GT OC and it runs around 62C at idle with the room temp at
about 76F and when I run rthdribl in a window I watch the temp. climb to
almost 90C after about 20 min. of running. It drops rapidly after I stop the
program. I have a large case with good cooling and BFG carries a lifetime
warranty so I am not worried. The nVidia panel shows 120C as the core
slowdown threshold so I doubt if you are doing any damage.
"Cole Turner" <REMOVEcole.turner@liwest.at> wrote in message
> got an msi 6800 GT
>
> after booting the PC I got some 57 (in the green) and after running
> Far Cry for some 30 minutes the temperature hits 85 (bottom of the red
> scale) but dropping fast after leaving Far Cry, of course.
>
> only got a mini-tower, lots of stuff in it, good PSU (Antec True 550),
> but no additional cooling
>
> you think the temp mentioned above is too high for a long lifetime of
> the card?
>
> thanks a lot for any hints!
>
> Cole ***
> --
> Johnny: [plugging back in the runway lights]
> "Just kidding."
> ('Airplane!', 1980)
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 3:25:52 AM

85 C degrees will definitely lead to a shortened life for your video card.
Sounds like it's time to get a better designed case with decent cooling
options.

--
DaveW

"Cole Turner" <REMOVEcole.turner@liwest.at> wrote in message
> got an msi 6800 GT
>
> after booting the PC I got some 57 (in the green) and after running
> Far Cry for some 30 minutes the temperature hits 85 (bottom of the red
> scale) but dropping fast after leaving Far Cry, of course.
>
> only got a mini-tower, lots of stuff in it, good PSU (Antec True 550),
> but no additional cooling
>
> you think the temp mentioned above is too high for a long lifetime of
> the card?
>
> thanks a lot for any hints!
>
> Cole ***
> --
> Johnny: [plugging back in the runway lights]
> "Just kidding."
> ('Airplane!', 1980)
September 28, 2004 3:10:54 PM

.... there came a great "OldFartJAC" <ihatespam@spamupyours.com>
flying, and he bore tidings beyond hope, crying:

>I have a BFG 6800 GT OC and it runs around 62C at idle with the room temp at
>about 76F and when I run rthdribl in a window I watch the temp. climb to
>almost 90C after about 20 min. of running. It drops rapidly after I stop the
>program. I have a large case with good cooling and BFG carries a lifetime
>warranty so I am not worried. The nVidia panel shows 120C as the core
>slowdown threshold so I doubt if you are doing any damage.

thanks, thought so as well - however there are many conflicting
opinions about this (I did a Google search of Usenet) so I was unsure
- Dave here for example doesn't agree ... mmm ...

--
Johnny: [plugging back in the runway lights]
"Just kidding."
('Airplane!', 1980)
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 3:10:55 PM

> ... there came a great "OldFartJAC" <ihatespam@spamupyours.com>
> flying, and he bore tidings beyond hope, crying:
>
>>I have a BFG 6800 GT OC and it runs around 62C at idle with the room temp
>>at
>>about 76F and when I run rthdribl in a window I watch the temp. climb to
>>almost 90C after about 20 min. of running. It drops rapidly after I stop
>>the
>>program. I have a large case with good cooling and BFG carries a lifetime
>>warranty so I am not worried. The nVidia panel shows 120C as the core
>>slowdown threshold so I doubt if you are doing any damage.
>
> thanks, thought so as well - however there are many conflicting
> opinions about this (I did a Google search of Usenet) so I was unsure
> - Dave here for example doesn't agree ... mmm ...

And to add my PNY 6800GT has the exact same temp. readings as OldFart. 62
at idle, whatever at load. Room temp about 76 and max threshold shows 120.
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 11:26:09 AM

DaveW wrote:

> 85 C degrees will definitely lead to a shortened life for your video card.
> Sounds like it's time to get a better designed case with decent cooling
> options.

84 C will lead to a shorter life than 83C, and that a shorter life than 82C,
and so on. So what? Will running at 85C shorten the life of the board
enough that it fails before it is discarded as obsolete?

When you're not just plain _wrong_ then you're an alarmist. Dave, go find
another hobby because you're no damned good at all at this one.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)