SA PC - Using one's own MP3s

Hi, sorry if this has been done to death already.

I finally got around to making my own playlist of early 90s songs to play in
San Andreas, and I put shortcuts to the MP3 files in the SA User Files
folder in My Documents.

The MP3s play fine, but I'm not getting any of the expected adverts or DJ
chat between the songs. I have the play mode set to "Radio" in the options
menu. Should I have it set to either "Random" or "Sequential" in order to
get the chatter? It would seem to make more sense to have it set to "Radio",
but that clearly isn't doing the job for me.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Chris

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:06:50 +0100, "Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com>
wrote:

>Hi, sorry if this has been done to death already.
>
>I finally got around to making my own playlist of early 90s songs to play in
>San Andreas, and I put shortcuts to the MP3 files in the SA User Files
>folder in My Documents.
>
>The MP3s play fine, but I'm not getting any of the expected adverts or DJ
>chat between the songs. I have the play mode set to "Radio" in the options
>menu. Should I have it set to either "Random" or "Sequential" in order to
>get the chatter? It would seem to make more sense to have it set to "Radio",
>but that clearly isn't doing the job for me.
>
>Can anyone help?
>
>Cheers
>
>Chris

I have the same problem...

I still do get the adverts etc but maybe after 7 or 8 songs....

--
The Zero ST

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

So dragging links to from my music folder to C:\Documents and
Settings\Michael\My Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files, the same folder
that saves my games will let me hear listen to beastie boys or korn or
whatever? How do I find these on my radio?

Peace

Michael

"Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote in message
> Hi, sorry if this has been done to death already.
>
> I finally got around to making my own playlist of early 90s songs to play
> in San Andreas, and I put shortcuts to the MP3 files in the SA User Files
> folder in My Documents.
>
> The MP3s play fine, but I'm not getting any of the expected adverts or DJ
> chat between the songs. I have the play mode set to "Radio" in the options
> menu. Should I have it set to either "Random" or "Sequential" in order to
> get the chatter? It would seem to make more sense to have it set to
> "Radio", but that clearly isn't doing the job for me.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris

Cycle through the radio stations 'till you get "User Track Player" -
it's between "WCTR" and "Radio Off".

Phil Hibbs.

"Michael" <mrhogan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> So dragging links to from my music folder to C:\Documents and
> Settings\Michael\My Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files, the same folder
> that saves my games will let me hear listen to beastie boys or korn or
> whatever? How do I find these on my radio?
>
> Peace
>
> Michael

Yeah, you can either put the MP3s there, or just put shortcuts to them there
if you want to save time and hard disk space. Let me know if you get DJs
talking and adverts in between your songs, because I don't, and I was
looking forward to that.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> "Michael" <mrhogan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> So dragging links to from my music folder to C:\Documents and
>> Settings\Michael\My Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files, the same folder
>> that saves my games will let me hear listen to beastie boys or korn or
>> whatever? How do I find these on my radio?
>>
>> Peace
>>
>> Michael
>
> Yeah, you can either put the MP3s there, or just put shortcuts to them
> there if you want to save time and hard disk space. Let me know if you get
> DJs talking and adverts in between your songs, because I don't, and I was
> looking forward to that.

I copied 20 shortcuts to my MP3's into C:\Documents and
Settings\Michael\My Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files but all I get are
commercials.

Bummer

Peace

Michael

Michael wrote:
> "Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Michael" <mrhogan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> So dragging links to from my music folder to C:\Documents and
> >> Settings\Michael\My Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files, the same folder
> >> that saves my games will let me hear listen to beastie boys or korn or
> >> whatever? How do I find these on my radio?
> >>
> >> Peace
> >>
> >> Michael
> >
> > Yeah, you can either put the MP3s there, or just put shortcuts to them
> > there if you want to save time and hard disk space. Let me know if you get
> > DJs talking and adverts in between your songs, because I don't, and I was
> > looking forward to that.
> >

> I copied 20 shortcuts to my MP3's into C:\Documents and
> Settings\Michael\My Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files but all I get are
> commercials.
>
> Bummer
>
> Peace
>
> Michael

You might want to try creating ogg's as I had a similar problem, put
shortcuts to my mp3s in the User Tracks folder but nothing but adverts.
Got my hands on WinLAME coverted them to ogg format and it was fine.
No idea why it didn't play the mp3s as I'm pretty sure my version of
media player is the latest.

I think it's pretty tight of R* not to pay the license fee for mp3 like
they did in GTA3 and VC, guess they just wanted to get mo' money.

> I copied 20 shortcuts to my MP3's into C:\Documents and
> Settings\Michael\My Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files but all I get are
> commercials.
>
> Bummer
>
> Peace
>
> Michael
I think you have to go into "User track settings" under "Audio settings" in
the options menu. There are a couple of things to try clicking there. Try
doing the "scan for media" thing and see if it works after that. That's what
I did, anyway.

The readme says to install either the latest WMP (or maybe even 9, I can't
remember) *or* the latest QuickTime.

I already had WMP 10, and all I got was the commercials, no matter what I
tried. As soon as I installed the QuickTime 7 beta, it started working.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> You might want to try creating ogg's as I had a similar problem, put
> shortcuts to my mp3s in the User Tracks folder but nothing but adverts.
> Got my hands on WinLAME coverted them to ogg format and it was fine.
> No idea why it didn't play the mp3s as I'm pretty sure my version of
> media player is the latest.

I went to http://winlame.sourceforge.net/download.php and dl'd winlame. I
then converted the songs .ogg and placed the all in C:\Documents and
Settings\Michael\My Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files\User Tracks. When
I'm in the car or on a motorcycle I always change the station to user tracks
but I'm only getting advertisements ie commercials.

I have media player 10, 3Ghz, 2Gb ram, dual raid 200Gb Hd, dual GeForce 6800
GT's for one a piece for each 19" flat panel monitor. I just like my toys.
Any extra help or ideas would be kewl.

Peace

Michael

Michael wrote:
> > You might want to try creating ogg's as I had a similar problem, put
> > shortcuts to my mp3s in the User Tracks folder but nothing but adverts.
> > Got my hands on WinLAME coverted them to ogg format and it was fine.
> > No idea why it didn't play the mp3s as I'm pretty sure my version of
> > media player is the latest.
>
> I went to http://winlame.sourceforge.net/download.php and dl'd winlame. I
> then converted the songs .ogg and placed the all in C:\Documents and
> Settings\Michael\My Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files\User Tracks. When
> I'm in the car or on a motorcycle I always change the station to user tracks
> but I'm only getting advertisements ie commercials.
>
> I have media player 10, 3Ghz, 2Gb ram, dual raid 200Gb Hd, dual GeForce 6800
> GT's for one a piece for each 19" flat panel monitor. I just like my toys.
> Any extra help or ideas would be kewl.
>
> Peace
>
> Michael

Try just putting short cuts to the ogg's in the User Tracks folder
(keep the ogg somewhere else) and then do a manual scan in GTA:SA

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Try just putting short cuts to the ogg's in the User Tracks folder
> (keep the ogg somewhere else) and then do a manual scan in GTA:SA

Manual scan from where? Might sound dumb but is this in the options?

Peace

Michael

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

OK got it. I dl'd winLame created the .ogg format then put those in a
seprate folder. Started GTA SA and went to audio options and found the scan
for user tracks. Works like a charm.

Thank you for everybodys help...

Peace

Michael
>> Try just putting short cuts to the ogg's in the User Tracks folder
>> (keep the ogg somewhere else) and then do a manual scan in GTA:SA
>>
> Manual scan from where? Might sound dumb but is this in the options?
>
> Peace
>
> Michael

Jericho

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2001

Michael wrote:
>>Try just putting short cuts to the ogg's in the User Tracks folder
>>(keep the ogg somewhere else) and then do a manual scan in GTA:SA
>>

> Manual scan from where? Might sound dumb but is this in the options?
>
> Peace
>
> Michael

Yeah. In Audio Options > User Track Options > Scan User Tracks

You might want to play with the other options there as well. I think
there's a Yes/No for Automatically Scan or something that I set to Yes.

It plays my files fine, bog-standard mp3s in the My Documents > GTA: SA
User Files > User Tracks folder.

"Jericho" <pushthelionheart@y2j.com> wrote in message
> Yeah. In Audio Options > User Track Options > Scan User Tracks
>
> You might want to play with the other options there as well. I think
> there's a Yes/No for Automatically Scan or something that I set to Yes.
>
> It plays my files fine, bog-standard mp3s in the My Documents > GTA: SA
> User Files > User Tracks folder.

Back to my original question - are you getting the adverts and DJ chatter
between songs? I'm still not getting anything but my MP3s played in order. I
was really looking forward to the feature that allowed us to play our own
choice of music whilst still getting the atmosphere created by the adverts
and DJs.

Has anyone had this problem and found a way to solve it?

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Back to my original question - are you getting the adverts and DJ chatter
> between songs? I'm still not getting anything but my MP3s played in order.
> I was really looking forward to the feature that allowed us to play our
> own choice of music whilst still getting the atmosphere created by the
> adverts and DJs.
>
> Has anyone had this problem and found a way to solve it?

I will pay better attention, because I do not remmember getting the adverts
and DJ chatter
between songs.

Peace

Michael

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

>> Back to my original question - are you getting the adverts and DJ chatter
>> between songs? I'm still not getting anything but my MP3s played in
>> order. I was really looking forward to the feature that allowed us to
>> play our own choice of music whilst still getting the atmosphere created
>> by the adverts and DJs.
>>
>> Has anyone had this problem and found a way to solve it?
>

> I will pay better attention, because I do not remmember getting the
> adverts and DJ chatter
> between songs.
>
> Peace
>
> Michael

Yes I am getting the adverts and DJ chatter between songs.
It is kind of funny to hear them between Korn and Kotton Mouth Kings or even
David Allen Coe.

Peace

Michael