PC freezes

My system:
SOYO Dragon Plus! mainboard
amd athlon xp1800+ cpu
geforce 3 ti200 video card
512mb ddr RAM

My screen sometimes freezes unexpectedly, mostly when I'm playing mp3
or video files, and the sound loops (maybe 1 frame repeats).

I've searched, but people mainly have this problem while playing video
games. And I don't play video games, so I thought maybe this problem
is different.

Does anyone know how to help?

Thanks in advance.

"Nico" <nhjorth@online.no> wrote in message
> My system:
> SOYO Dragon Plus! mainboard
> amd athlon xp1800+ cpu
> geforce 3 ti200 video card
> 512mb ddr RAM
>
> My screen sometimes freezes unexpectedly, mostly when I'm playing mp3
> or video files, and the sound loops (maybe 1 frame repeats).
>
> I've searched, but people mainly have this problem while playing video
> games. And I don't play video games, so I thought maybe this problem
> is different.
>
> Does anyone know how to help?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Can you take note when it freeze or where it freeze or does it freeze
randomly or at a specific area / point?
You may need to narrow the problem down either due to your soundcard or
something else.
Try display a slide video or something similar without sound involve and see
if it freeze.
How about normal use of your PC.... like browsing internet or using any
application?

Check if your GF3Ti200 of it fan and see if it spinning. Or your system CPU
fan. Athlon CPU consider pretty hot. Efficient cooling system in your PC is
very important for AMD base PC.

My guess would be your CPU might be getting hot. Playing MP3 like with
WinAmp will tax your CPU and GF3Ti200 abit.

CapFusion,...

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Nico ordered an army of hamsters to
type:

> My system:
> SOYO Dragon Plus! mainboard
> amd athlon xp1800+ cpu
> geforce 3 ti200 video card
> 512mb ddr RAM
>
> My screen sometimes freezes unexpectedly, mostly when I'm playing mp3
> or video files, and the sound loops (maybe 1 frame repeats).
>
> I've searched, but people mainly have this problem while playing video
> games. And I don't play video games, so I thought maybe this problem
> is different.
>
> Does anyone know how to help?
>
> Thanks in advance.

my initial guesses is that you have somethine running in the background
eating cpu cycles that would put to better use by your mp3 player. and/or
the drive you are streaming from is in pio mode, maybe you are trying to
use that drive for something else at the same time?

If you are using 2k or XP, look into turning off some services.

On 28 Sep 2004 16:54:32 -0700, nhjorth@online.no (Nico) wrote:

>My system:
>SOYO Dragon Plus! mainboard
>amd athlon xp1800+ cpu
>geforce 3 ti200 video card
>512mb ddr RAM
>
>My screen sometimes freezes unexpectedly, mostly when I'm playing mp3
>or video files, and the sound loops (maybe 1 frame repeats).
>
>I've searched, but people mainly have this problem while playing video
>games. And I don't play video games, so I thought maybe this problem
>is different.
>
>Does anyone know how to help?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Does it sometimes freeze when not doing anything? I'm not positive but
my first suspicion is that your power supply is in need of
replacement.

Mike Kirkland <no@email.here> wrote in message news:<i74ll01ct5qdbgqlmqib3299469p6gog1a@4ax.com>...
> On 28 Sep 2004 16:54:32 -0700, nhjorth@online.no (Nico) wrote:
>
> >My system:
> >SOYO Dragon Plus! mainboard
> >amd athlon xp1800+ cpu
> >geforce 3 ti200 video card
> >512mb ddr RAM
> >
> >My screen sometimes freezes unexpectedly, mostly when I'm playing mp3
> >or video files, and the sound loops (maybe 1 frame repeats).
> >
> >I've searched, but people mainly have this problem while playing video
> >games. And I don't play video games, so I thought maybe this problem
> >is different.
> >
> >Does anyone know how to help?
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
>
> Does it sometimes freeze when not doing anything? I'm not positive but
> my first suspicion is that your power supply is in need of
> replacement.

It freezes randomly, like when browsing while listening to mp3s, or
playing video files or doing anything ralated to media files. Last
time it happened while editing video. It froze after 10 seconds.

It doesn't freeze when doing anything, but it may freeze when it's
playing mp3s and I'm not there.

Both the GF3Ti200 fan and the CPU fan works. And the system isn't very
hot.

I tried to only work with media files stored on the system disk.. same
problem.

Both drives are in udma mode.

I'm not using the drive for something else at the same time, at least
not that I'm aware of.

This is a fresh install of win XP. The problem occured about 1 hour
after the install. It also happened on my old xp installation. But I
can't recall having this problem with windows 98 se.

> Mike Kirkland <no@email.here> wrote in message
>> On 28 Sep 2004 16:54:32 -0700, nhjorth@online.no (Nico) wrote:
>>
>> >My system:
>> >SOYO Dragon Plus! mainboard
>> >amd athlon xp1800+ cpu
>> >geforce 3 ti200 video card
>> >512mb ddr RAM
>> >
>> >My screen sometimes freezes unexpectedly, mostly when I'm playing mp3
>> >or video files, and the sound loops (maybe 1 frame repeats).
>> >
>> >I've searched, but people mainly have this problem while playing video
>> >games. And I don't play video games, so I thought maybe this problem
>> >is different.
>> >
>> >Does anyone know how to help?
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Does it sometimes freeze when not doing anything? I'm not positive but
>> my first suspicion is that your power supply is in need of
>> replacement.
>
> It freezes randomly, like when browsing while listening to mp3s, or
> playing video files or doing anything ralated to media files. Last
> time it happened while editing video. It froze after 10 seconds.
>
> It doesn't freeze when doing anything, but it may freeze when it's
> playing mp3s and I'm not there.
>
> Both the GF3Ti200 fan and the CPU fan works. And the system isn't very
> hot.
>
> I tried to only work with media files stored on the system disk.. same
> problem.
>
> Both drives are in udma mode.
>
> I'm not using the drive for something else at the same time, at least
> not that I'm aware of.
>
> This is a fresh install of win XP. The problem occured about 1 hour
> after the install. It also happened on my old xp installation. But I
> can't recall having this problem with windows 98 se.

This kind of problem is very hard to pin-point. My guess would be a hardware
failure. The only suggestion is to let your PC run and replace one part at a
time and see if last longer then the previous.

CapFusion,....

Problem fixed.

It was the network card that caused the freeze..

Thanks for the feedback.

CapFusion,...