Windows 7 Stuck on installation

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
I can't remember everything since this was a little while back, but everytime i try to install windows 7 it gets stuck at completing installtion part. I dunno what i have done or what im doing wrong but i would really like windows 7. First thing this is a legal copy of Windows 7 just burnt onto a second cd (it was a backup incase i lost my other one.)

After i tried installing windows 7 the first time and failing i searched on google and people said remove all USB devices, i did and it still go stuck their so im have a theory could it be my graphics card thats causing this problem and if so could i just take it out and install windows 7 and reinstall my Graphics card?

System:
Amd Athlon 3800+ (soon to be AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+ if that rly matters)
ATI/AMD Radeon HD 4350
1GB Of DDR2 Ram
160GB Harddrive

Solution

shaun o was alluding to the fact that many onboard graphics chips reserve some of your system ram for it's own use rather than leaving it available for the operating system and applications. However, since you are using a discrete graphics card with it's own dedicated ram, this does...
If you have onboard graphics, you can try removing the 4350 to see if it makes a difference.

What exactly do you mean by "It gets stuck"? Does the computer stop responding? Does it give an error message?

Also, why aren't you installing from the original disc?

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Okay this has to be quick since i have school, but it gets to the very last part called compeleting installtion i can see the mouse and everything and i think around 50% it stops responding and i can move my mouse, i waited over 30 minutes and nothing happened, (i tried this 3 times the first time, Without any USB devices, and a third time normally again)

Welcome to the world of having a graphics card that uses hyper memory !.
And what that means is it steals some of your main system memory, sets it aside for sole use of the 4350 card.
So what you infact have left is less than 1Gb of main memory that is the min to install windows 7.

So what is happening then why so slow ? simple, because of the lack of memory windows 7 is now using a swap file on the Hard drive it created.

To cure the problem go and buy some more ram.
I should make a note here that since the mouse is moving, the system has not locked up at all. And what you will find or should is your Hard drive led on the outside of the case still flickering like mad.

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010

shaun o was alluding to the fact that many onboard graphics chips reserve some of your system ram for it's own use rather than leaving it available for the operating system and applications. However, since you are using a discrete graphics card with it's own dedicated ram, this does not apply, nor does it likely have anything to do with your problem.

Given that it keeps getting stuck at the same spot every time, I am led to believe that there is a problem with the install media itself. If you have a 4GB or larger flash drive around, see number 18 in this thread to create a bootable Windows 7 install flash drive, and install Windows 7 from it instead.

Solution

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Thank you The_Prophecy, i will try, i used PowerISO to burn it to the cd and i made it go the fastest speed (x16 i think) then i read that your supposed to do it at your lowest speed to make sure theirs no errors. and one more thing will using the 4gb flash drive erase all my files if it doesn't work?

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
No the files on my pc, i dont have much stuff but i do have a couple things i don't want to redownload like Fallout new vegas since thats like 6gb's and my bandwidth limit each month is only 20gb

If you can access the drive from another system and find the install folder for the game, you could copy the folder, then wipe the drive out, reinstall Windows, reinstall Steam, then copy the folder back in to the new game install directory for Steam.

In theory, this would significantly cut down on the amount of data you would need to download.

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
What i did was i took my 4gb flash drive before using your suggestion (number 18) and copied all the files to my storage computer (that took awhile lol....) anyways yea, but at the moment im redoing step 18 so i can try it. hopefully it works i also took my graphics card out and im going to unplug all my USB devices just to be safe and make sure it works.

bystander123

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Everything is fine. I think your motherboard is faulty. Check to see if your motherboard supports Windows 7 at all (Go to the manufacturer's website). If it does, you have to update the BIOS. Once updated, re-run win7 installation.

bystander123

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
He can't seem to install win7, but motherboard compatibility is not in question?! Motherboard is the chip that binds together all of your PC. It is the circuit board that in fact "runs" everything inside your PC. But it ain't in question?

Sounds ironic, doesn't it?

There is no way an OS can boot itself if it doesn't get OKed by the BIOS.

The_Prophecy has the most likely solution to this problem. But, the BIOS could be a very likely problem as well, in my opinion. Or even the media in which the OS is being installed could be problematic, he might try resetting it to its original "out of box" state and try a complete fresh installation.

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Alright, So i just reinstalled windows xp again lol, and the reason is i got farther in the win7 install but after it rebooted it went back to compeleting installtion and then i went to bed. i woke up and their were just lines everywhere (hard to describe but it was like white,pink sorta, and a bunch of other colours) so i tried clicking a couple times and like task manger and stuff so i ended up turning it off. well im done with win7 now i guess unless someone can give me a totally 99% sure thing, thanks for trying tho. oh yea how do i move these files they keep getting denied.

verbalizer

Distinguished

told you it wasn't the board and win7 compatibility, he has other issues, win xp doesn't even install..