Gefore 4 Ti line of cards best card ever?

Chingy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

Gefore 4 Ti line of cards best card ever? for its performance and good bang
for money..

what you folks reckon????

"Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com> wrote in message

" what you folks reckon???? "

Well, they can be lumped into three groups:

- Ti4200 64MB (AGP4x)
- Ti4200 128MB (AGP4x)
- Ti4200-8X 128MB (AGP8x)

- Ti4400 128MB (AGP4x)
- Ti4800SE 128MB (AGP8x)

- Ti4600 128MB (AGP4x)
- Ti4800 128MB (AGP8x)

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce4ti.html

Three years ago, pretty much every game ran perfectly with 64MB, and the
64MB Ti4200 had faster RAM than the 128MB version. At the time of their
release, and taking their cost into account, it was probably the best
bang-for-buck back then.

By todays standards, the differences amongst the Ti range have become
more-and-more marginal. If you were to shop for a second-hand one on eBay,
you'll see how this is reflected in the prices. By that reckoning, the
Ti4600/Ti4800 is the best bang-for-buck today.

You can see how their performance weighs up in comparison with the FX series
of cards. http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/

Better than all of the sub-5700 FX models.

the fastest benching ti 4600 is the models made by XFX
"Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com> wrote in message
> Gefore 4 Ti line of cards best card ever? for its performance and good
> bang for money..
>
> what you folks reckon????

Absolutely right. I own Leadtek Ti4200 128/8x AGP and it still works great
in my second machine, but I broke down and bought a BFG 6800 GT OC and put
it in my main gaming machine to replace the Ti4200. Best bang for the buck
was the Ti4200 though. Of course the BFG 6800GT OC runs circles around it
but it cost me $400 compared to $150 for the Ti4200 a couple of years ago. I
also bought a MSI GeForce 3 Ti200 before that and it still is working great
in my son's machine.

Chingy wrote:
> Gefore 4 Ti line of cards best card ever? for its performance and
> good bang for money..

Well, though I'm missing out on whatever the DX9 stuff is, I still game on a
GeForce 4 TI-4600. I have a machine with a 5900 (really don't know why I
never sit at that machine)... and I've been thinking about getting a 6800..
However, my Ti-4600's are quite enough to play any game I've seen so far. I
played Doom3, Painkiller, and Far Cry in the last few weeks on the 4600 and
I wasn't too dissapointed at all. I would have liked to have been able to
turn on FSAA for Far Cry, but Painkiller and Doom3 were absolutely beautiful
even without it.

I think that game developers are just now beginning to write games that push
the GeForce 4's. So, those cards have lasted well. The software up until
now has allowed the GeForce 4 series of cards to stay in service a long
time. - I can also add here that the GeForce 3 TI-500 and the GeForce 3
pure lasted a long time as well. In fact, I think the majority of recent
games will run "OK" at 800X600 and whatever medium detail settings on either
of the upper GeForce 3's. The TI-200 is a little bit weak, though.

> In fact, I think the majority of recent
> games will run "OK" at 800X600 and whatever medium detail settings on either
> of the upper GeForce 3's. The TI-200 is a little bit weak, though.

I was actually surprised at how well my old Ti200 ran Doom3. I tried
the card out on my A64 3000+ just out of curiosity, and it was quite
playable. Better than an FX5200, in fact.

Wolverine

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2004

I just replaced my 2 year old PNY Verto Ti4600 128 MB with a PNY Verto
FX5900SE (XT), and I have to say the Ti has been the finest card I have
owned as far as longevity is concerned. It ran Doom3 @800x600 fine at the
medium setting, and Far Cry is very playable at medium.

"Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com> wrote in message
> Gefore 4 Ti line of cards best card ever? for its performance and good
bang
> for money..
>
> what you folks reckon????

had a Ti4200 64MB and boy was I pleased. it ran everything and without a
hitch. better than a lot of my mates who went down the ATi route.
I played Far Cry and Painkiller without any problems. it ran well and
looked good too but I too gave into the DX9 thing and bought a 6800 128MB.
doom3 looked fine and for the money spent didn't look any better on the 6
series than it did on the GF4.
I think I could have held onto it a while longer. I'm building a PC for my
son and my GF4 will take pride of place in it. it only cost £115 off eBay
when it was just released and for the pleasure it must rate up there with
the best (if it doesn't take top spot).

Robin

I am still holding on to my ti200 until the 6600 gt comes out :) Yeah it
played but i stopped playing it at comm center cuz I thought finishing doom
on the ti200 would ruin it hehe.

"Lachoneus" <lachoneus@nonexistent.invalid> ???
news:cjm9ln$1r1$2@news.xmission.com ???...
> > In fact, I think the majority of recent
> > games will run "OK" at 800X600 and whatever medium detail settings on
either
> > of the upper GeForce 3's. The TI-200 is a little bit weak, though.
>
> I was actually surprised at how well my old Ti200 ran Doom3. I tried
> the card out on my A64 3000+ just out of curiosity, and it was quite
> playable. Better than an FX5200, in fact.

I've only relatively recently replaced a LeadTek Ti4200 128 (8x) which i've
had overclocked to the max for almost 2 years. What a cracking card that
was.

I hope my 5900 xt lasts as long.

"Leon Smith" <leon_smith@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've only relatively recently replaced a LeadTek Ti4200 128 (8x) which
> i've had overclocked to the max for almost 2 years. What a cracking card
> that was.
>
> I hope my 5900 xt lasts as long.

I would say your FX5900XT should be able to let you skip 6xxx series
generation.

CapFusion,...