Canonical Releases First Ubuntu With Linux Kernel 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]huh? what? 3.0 versus 3.0.0? Am i missing something here?[/citation]

Yea you aren't the only one. If that's not a typo then I don't understand why it was necessary to make that remark in the article.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]huh? what? 3.0 versus 3.0.0? Am i missing something here?[/citation]
if your involved in software or programming with versioning its common sense that 3.0 is not the same as 3.0.0

G

Well, aside from the other shenanigans in this article, I wouldn't consider alphas to be an actual release, either. They had the 3.0 release candidate kernels in alpha1 and alpha2, so if alpha Ubuntu counts as a release, then 3.0-rc kernels should count as 3.0...

Sensationalist journalism FTW.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]What should I get exited about in Kernel 3.0 ?[/citation]
not much, it's just an honorary version upgrade, coz of Linux being 20 years old now.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]What should I get exited about in Kernel 3.0 ?[/citation]
Nothing more than would have excited you if it was 2.6.40, because in essence that's what it is.

I tried updating alpha 2 to alpha 3... it didn't work so well. Time to grab a fresh alpha 3!

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
It's basically 2.6.40 (instead of 2.6.39).

Arch Linux doesn't have it in the core database, but it's in the "testing" repo (for now).

[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]can i get the good old "ubuntu classic" on this version?i am sick of unity and gnome3[/citation]
GNOME 3 is compatible with gtk2 themes, isn't it? So just get one from gnome-look.org.

godmode

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
i honestly don't like the unity DE ubuntu currently has, thats why i switched over to kubuntu. KDE's plasma desktop is surprisingly customizable, really; i feel i can make look like any thing, absolutely love it.

G

I don't understand all of the Unity hate, it's a very decent desktop experience once you get used to it.

Ubuntu 11.10 seems to be shaping up very nicely, Alpha 3 is already very stable, and they've done some nice tweaks to Unity, and made a 2d version of it that can run without working 3d acceleration. IMHO they have a winner on their hands.

secretxax

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]can i get the good old "ubuntu classic" on this version?i am sick of unity and gnome3[/citation]

For Ubuntu 11.04, during login, select "classic login" at the bottom. This will make it always start with GNOME.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I completely disagree. Stability is TERRIBLE so far. I've had alpha 3 installed 2 days so far and have already sent more crash reports to the ubuntu tracker than I have this year and last year combined. (90% revolve around Unity crashes).

In addition, running unity in either form is considerably slower than the Gnome Panel/2.0 Desktop environment.

Overall, the potential usability is awesome for Unity and the direction Canonical is heading. But the implementation absolutely blows so far.

It's just a terrible shame that Gnome Shell/3.0 is even worse.

Dude, it's still in Alpha state! Give it time and it will get better.

I do have to agree with most posters about Gnome 3.0 as I don't like it. KDE looks cleaner. For the record I was using Gnome 2.0+ version for a long time unti they started to push the 3.0 version. I know I still can use the old gnome but that too will eventually be phased out.

Darkk

secretxax

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Darkk[/nom]Dude, it's still in Alpha state! Give it time and it will get better.I do have to agree with most posters about Gnome 3.0 as I don't like it. KDE looks cleaner. For the record I was using Gnome 2.0+ version for a long time unti they started to push the 3.0 version. I know I still can use the old gnome but that too will eventually be phased out.Darkk[/citation]

Technology (both software & hardware) are continuously evolving in newer & more different ways each & every day. Whether we like it or not, it's always changing. We, as humans, can only do 3 things:

1) Continuously upgrading to the latest hardware & software (most of the time).

2) Keep using current tech without upgrading.

3) Not use any tech at all (but who wants that?)!

Status
Not open for further replies.