Min Requirement for DivX, MPG, MOV

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a wirless network with an old, cobbled together out of spare parts pc
that I have put by my TV/hi-fi and am using it to stream media (mp3, browse
the web and watch mpeg, mov movie trailers etc on).

It is an AMD K2-350 with an nVidia manufactured ELSA Gladiac 32MB 311TV-OUT
Card with an
s-video socket for TV out. I can output at 640x480 to my CRT television. For
web browsing and viewing Windows media player on mp3 it is ideal. However,
it is unable to refresh the video when playing movie clips, etc.

Time for an upgrade. I have an AMD K2-500 with a decent 80gb hard disk and
300mb memory but no AGP slot, so I need to put in a PCI graphics card. The
problem is I am on a very tight budget (ideally under £30.00).

What is the minimum I could get away with to play back video clips via an
s-video out -

A GeForce MX4000 64MB PCI
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/graphicscards/productView.htm?quicklinx=2ZZY
Or Radeon 9200SE 128MB PCI
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/graphicscards/productView.htm?quicklinx=374R&familyid=186

Or something much more ballsy?

> A GeForce MX4000 64MB PCI
> http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/graphicscards/productView.htm?quicklinx=2ZZY
> Or Radeon 9200SE 128MB PCI
> http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/graphicscards/productView.htm?quicklinx=374R&familyid=186
>
> Or something much more ballsy?

There are a few formats that my htpc can barely handle. I still get
dropped frames with HD video. Its a P4 2.6c, 512MB ram, 9600
standard. I can view everything on my a64 3200 with 6800gt though ;)

Eric

"Biz" <biznospam@notatt.net> wrote in message news:<4a_8d.671465$Gx4.326991@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> If you dont want to upgrade teh PC, you can always buy something like a
> Sigma Designs XCard, taht plays mpeg1, mpeg2, and most proper mpeg4
> streams(which includes much of teh DivX, Xvid stuff as long as the encoder
> didnt have his head up his A** when he created it). Since it does the
> processing in HW the machine requirements are much lower, like around a
> 200Mhz processor.

The snapstream software I use lists 700Mhz for a hardware decoder or
P4 1.5Ghz for software.

Eric