Videocard hotter with less Speed?

Hi,

I´ve lately bought a new GF6800GT (MSI) and I thought I could save a little
energy by lowering the Corespeed for 2D apps - but the coretemperatur and of
cause the ambiencetemperature are increasing - does this mean a higher
engeryconsumption?

Is anyone here able to tell me more why this happens?

Is there any way to save energy with this gfxcard by changing the
Frequencies?

Thx

Wolle
3 answers Last reply
More about videocard hotter speed

    I think it has more to do with Fan speed throttling down as well.

    When I crank up my 5900FX from GPU 400 MEM 900 to GPU 475 MEM
    950. The temperature on the card goes down...??? I believe the fan
    is throttling up to compensate and being more efficient.

    On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 20:18:34 +0200, "Wolfgang Lange" <news@wo-lange.de>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I´ve lately bought a new GF6800GT (MSI) and I thought I could save a little
    >energy by lowering the Corespeed for 2D apps - but the coretemperatur and of
    >cause the ambiencetemperature are increasing - does this mean a higher
    >engeryconsumption?
    >
    >Is anyone here able to tell me more why this happens?
    >
    >Is there any way to save energy with this gfxcard by changing the
    >Frequencies?
    >
    >Thx
    >
    >Wolle

    Good Idea but I can´t hear any Difference in the Cooler-Sound. I don´t think
    it´s slowing down.

    "Carrie" <me@usa.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I think it has more to do with Fan speed throttling down as well.
    >
    > When I crank up my 5900FX from GPU 400 MEM 900 to GPU 475 MEM
    > 950. The temperature on the card goes down...??? I believe the fan
    > is throttling up to compensate and being more efficient.
    >

    > On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 20:18:34 +0200, "Wolfgang Lange" <news@wo-lange.de>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I´ve lately bought a new GF6800GT (MSI) and I thought I could save a
    little
    > >energy by lowering the Corespeed for 2D apps - but the coretemperatur and
    of
    > >cause the ambiencetemperature are increasing - does this mean a higher
    > >engeryconsumption?
    > >
    > >Is anyone here able to tell me more why this happens?
    > >
    > >Is there any way to save energy with this gfxcard by changing the
    > >Frequencies?
    > >
    > >Thx
    > >
    > >Wolle

    This card got hotter when downspeeding from 385 to 315MHz.

    The in Aquamark3 it gets faster and cooler - and than warmer.

    Shortla IDLE.

    Then 2 x Doom 3 Timedemo demo1 and it get really warm.

    After Doom3 the card stay on 385MHz for a While in IDLE and gets colder - up
    to 56 degrees...

    Now it run on 315M;Hz again and feels 66 degrees agein.

    WHY?

    ÿØÿà
    "Wolfgang Lange" <news@wo-lange.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hi,
    >
    > I´ve lately bought a new GF6800GT (MSI) and I thought I could save a
    little
    > energy by lowering the Corespeed for 2D apps - but the coretemperatur and
    of
    > cause the ambiencetemperature are increasing - does this mean a higher
    > engeryconsumption?
    >
    > Is anyone here able to tell me more why this happens?
    >
    > Is there any way to save energy with this gfxcard by changing the
    > Frequencies?
    >
    > Thx
    >
    > Wolle

Nvidia Graphics