screen flashes to black every once in a while

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2004 1:31:25 PM

I have upgraded my video card from a PNY GeForce FX 5500 to a PNY
GeForce FX 5900. I just took the old card out, put the new one in and
booted up. I then re-installed the 61.77 drivers from Nvidia's
website.

Now my system flashes to black every now and then. I did a google
search and a website suggested completely uninstalling the old driver
in safe mode and then rebooting and installing cleanly. They also
mentioned a utility to uninstall.

Is there such a thing for Nvidia cards, and if not what is the best
procedure for this? Also, could these problems with the screen
flashing black be caused by something else?

More about : screen flashes black

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2004 2:40:51 PM

"Jason Gallas" <nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote in message
>I have upgraded my video card from a PNY GeForce FX 5500 to a PNY
> GeForce FX 5900. I just took the old card out, put the new one in and
> booted up. I then re-installed the 61.77 drivers from Nvidia's
> website.
>
> Now my system flashes to black every now and then. I did a google
> search and a website suggested completely uninstalling the old driver
> in safe mode and then rebooting and installing cleanly. They also
> mentioned a utility to uninstall.
>
> Is there such a thing for Nvidia cards, and if not what is the best
> procedure for this? Also, could these problems with the screen
> flashing black be caused by something else?

Try unisntall and or use DriverCleaner -
http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

When you uninstall from Add/Remove Program, make sure you remove everything
when prompt.

I do not understand your last paragraph.
****
Is there such a thing for Nvidia cards, and if not what is the best
procedure for this? Also, could these problems with the screen
flashing black be caused by something else?
****
Can you clarify / rephrase this?
Do you mean, if this problem would happen to nvidia type of cards?

CapFusion,...
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2004 4:29:32 PM

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:40:51 -0700, "CapFusion"
<CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote:

:
:"Jason Gallas" <nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote in message
:news:sgqam0ln1tugkb5i0ppkvtvc1pmvufoo03@4ax.com...
:>I have upgraded my video card from a PNY GeForce FX 5500 to a PNY
:> GeForce FX 5900. I just took the old card out, put the new one in and
:> booted up. I then re-installed the 61.77 drivers from Nvidia's
:> website.
:>
:****
: Is there such a thing for Nvidia cards, and if not what is the best
: procedure for this? Also, could these problems with the screen
: flashing black be caused by something else?

What I meant was, is there an uninstall utility specifically for
Nvidia cards. I suppose it dosen't matter because there is a driver
cleaner available that will work on Nvidia and other cards.

I was wondering if the screen flashing could be a result of something
else I missed in the configuration of my machine.
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2004 4:55:12 PM

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:40:51 -0700, "CapFusion"
> <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote:
>
> :
> :"Jason Gallas" <nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote in message
> :news:sgqam0ln1tugkb5i0ppkvtvc1pmvufoo03@4ax.com...
> :>I have upgraded my video card from a PNY GeForce FX 5500 to a PNY
> :> GeForce FX 5900. I just took the old card out, put the new one in and
> :> booted up. I then re-installed the 61.77 drivers from Nvidia's
> :> website.
> :>
> :> Now my system flashes to black every now and then. I did a google
> :> search and a website suggested completely uninstalling the old driver
> :> in safe mode and then rebooting and installing cleanly. They also
> :> mentioned a utility to uninstall.
> :>
> :> Is there such a thing for Nvidia cards, and if not what is the best
> :> procedure for this? Also, could these problems with the screen
> :> flashing black be caused by something else?
> :>
> :
> :Try unisntall and or use DriverCleaner -
> :http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/
> :
> :When you uninstall from Add/Remove Program, make sure you remove
> everything
> :when prompt.
> :
> :I do not understand your last paragraph.
> :****
> : Is there such a thing for Nvidia cards, and if not what is the best
> : procedure for this? Also, could these problems with the screen
> : flashing black be caused by something else?
>
> What I meant was, is there an uninstall utility specifically for
> Nvidia cards. I suppose it dosen't matter because there is a driver
> cleaner available that will work on Nvidia and other cards.
>
> I was wondering if the screen flashing could be a result of something
> else I missed in the configuration of my machine.

Again, did you try uninstall or use DriverCleaner and see if this problem
remain?
To verify if it a hardware issue, you can try putting onto another PC and
see if have the same problem.

CapFusion,...
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 7, 2004 5:10:13 PM

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:55:12 -0700, "CapFusion"
<CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote:

:
:"Jason Gallas" <nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote in message
:news:u56bm0hd7jcjea696b1a29lv00ov51ril8@4ax.com...
:> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:40:51 -0700, "CapFusion"
:> <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote:
:>
:> :
:> :"Jason Gallas" <nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote in message
:> :news:sgqam0ln1tugkb5i0ppkvtvc1pmvufoo03@4ax.com...
:> :>I have upgraded my video card from a PNY GeForce FX 5500 to a PNY
:> :> GeForce FX 5900. I just took the old card out, put the new one in and
:> :> booted up. I then re-installed the 61.77 drivers from Nvidia's
:> :> website.
:> :>
:> :****
[...]

Not yet, at work now...will try this evening :)
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2004 3:19:02 AM

An underpowered/unstable power supply unit would also cause that.

--
DaveW

"Jason Gallas" <nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote in message
>I have upgraded my video card from a PNY GeForce FX 5500 to a PNY
> GeForce FX 5900. I just took the old card out, put the new one in and
> booted up. I then re-installed the 61.77 drivers from Nvidia's
> website.
>
> Now my system flashes to black every now and then. I did a google
> search and a website suggested completely uninstalling the old driver
> in safe mode and then rebooting and installing cleanly. They also
> mentioned a utility to uninstall.
>
> Is there such a thing for Nvidia cards, and if not what is the best
> procedure for this? Also, could these problems with the screen
> flashing black be caused by something else?

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2004 11:45:16 PM

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:55:12 -0700, "CapFusion"
<CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote:

>"Jason Gallas" <nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:40:51 -0700, "CapFusion"
>> <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe.Com> wrote:
>>
>> :
>> :"Jason Gallas" <nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote in message
>> :news:sgqam0ln1tugkb5i0ppkvtvc1pmvufoo03@4ax.com...
>> :>I have upgraded my video card from a PNY GeForce FX 5500 to a PNY
>> :> GeForce FX 5900. I just took the old card out, put the new one in and
>> :> booted up. I then re-installed the 61.77 drivers from Nvidia's
>> :> website.
>> :>
>> :> Now my system flashes to black every now and then. I did a google
>> :> search and a website suggested completely uninstalling the old driver
>> :> in safe mode and then rebooting and installing cleanly. They also
>> :> mentioned a utility to uninstall.
>> :>
>> :> Is there such a thing for Nvidia cards, and if not what is the best
>> :> procedure for this? Also, could these problems with the screen
>> :> flashing black be caused by something else?
>> :>
>> :
>> :Try unisntall and or use DriverCleaner -
>> :http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/
>> :
>> :When you uninstall from Add/Remove Program, make sure you remove
>> everything
>> :when prompt.
>> :
>> :I do not understand your last paragraph.
>> :****
>> : Is there such a thing for Nvidia cards, and if not what is the best
>> : procedure for this? Also, could these problems with the screen
>> : flashing black be caused by something else?
>>
>> What I meant was, is there an uninstall utility specifically for
>> Nvidia cards. I suppose it dosen't matter because there is a driver
>> cleaner available that will work on Nvidia and other cards.
>>
>> I was wondering if the screen flashing could be a result of something
>> else I missed in the configuration of my machine.
>>

>Again, did you try uninstall or use DriverCleaner and see if this problem
>remain?
>To verify if it a hardware issue, you can try putting onto another PC and
>see if have the same problem.

I tried all that and the problem is still occuring. It happens a lot
when I resize windows from minimized to max size.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2004 11:46:09 PM

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:19:02 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>An underpowered/unstable power supply unit would also cause that.

Well, it's a pretty new antec power supply. It's 350W and I don't
have much running on my system now so I don't think that could be it.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2004 5:10:36 AM

Does it happen when you right-click on a video file? If so, have a
look at Shadow78's posts on this thread:

http://www.techimo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117062&pa...

It worked for me. Might be worth a look even if it's happening under
different circumstances on your machine. You can isolate the issue by
starting the computer in Safe Mode. If the problem is not apparent,
then it's more than likely a driver issue.

I first saw this behavior when beta testing Windows XP SP2. Of course
I blamed the SP, but apparently that's not the case.

Kevin

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 09:31:25 -0700, Jason Gallas
<nospam@usenetserver.com> wrote:

>I have upgraded my video card from a PNY GeForce FX 5500 to a PNY
>GeForce FX 5900. I just took the old card out, put the new one in and
>booted up. I then re-installed the 61.77 drivers from Nvidia's
>website.
>
>Now my system flashes to black every now and then. I did a google
>search and a website suggested completely uninstalling the old driver
>in safe mode and then rebooting and installing cleanly. They also
>mentioned a utility to uninstall.
>
>Is there such a thing for Nvidia cards, and if not what is the best
>procedure for this? Also, could these problems with the screen
>flashing black be caused by something else?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2004 5:10:37 AM

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 01:10:36 GMT, Kevin
<kkehoe@NOSPAM.ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Does it happen when you right-click on a video file? If so, have a
>look at Shadow78's posts on this thread:
>
>http://www.techimo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117062&pa...
>
>It worked for me. Might be worth a look even if it's happening under
>different circumstances on your machine. You can isolate the issue by
>starting the computer in Safe Mode. If the problem is not apparent,
>then it's more than likely a driver issue.
>
>I first saw this behavior when beta testing Windows XP SP2. Of course
>I blamed the SP, but apparently that's not the case.

No, I havent even run any video files yet.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2004 7:16:42 AM

"Jason Gallas" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:19:02 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:
>
>>An underpowered/unstable power supply unit would also cause that.
>
> Well, it's a pretty new antec power supply. It's 350W and I don't
> have much running on my system now so I don't think that could be it.

I'm getting the same thing, randoms screen resets, usually when I'm deleting
a large file. It also happens with any interaction with the Nvidia control
panel. Since it all started with the 6800 I put in, thought maybe it was
power too. It isn't. I've got an Antec 480W PS.

I'm convinced it's a driver issue, and something they need to get off their
asses and fix because it's damn irritating and probably not great for the
monitor either.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2004 3:35:50 PM

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 03:16:42 GMT, "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote:

>"Jason Gallas" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:19:02 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:
>>
>>>An underpowered/unstable power supply unit would also cause that.
>>
>> Well, it's a pretty new antec power supply. It's 350W and I don't
>> have much running on my system now so I don't think that could be it.
>>
>I'm getting the same thing, randoms screen resets, usually when I'm deleting
>a large file. It also happens with any interaction with the Nvidia control
>panel. Since it all started with the 6800 I put in, thought maybe it was
>power too. It isn't. I've got an Antec 480W PS.
>
>I'm convinced it's a driver issue, and something they need to get off their
>asses and fix because it's damn irritating and probably not great for the
>monitor either.

yeah, I'm using 61.77...should I roll back to an earlier version
maybe?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2004 5:48:37 PM

> On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 03:16:42 GMT, "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote:
>

>>"Jason Gallas" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

>>> Well, it's a pretty new antec power supply. It's 350W and I don't
>>> have much running on my system now so I don't think that could be it.
>>>
>>I'm getting the same thing, randoms screen resets, usually when I'm
>>deleting
>>a large file. It also happens with any interaction with the Nvidia
>>control
>>panel. Since it all started with the 6800 I put in, thought maybe it was
>>power too. It isn't. I've got an Antec 480W PS.
>>
>>I'm convinced it's a driver issue, and something they need to get off
>>their
>>asses and fix because it's damn irritating and probably not great for the
>>monitor either.
>
> yeah, I'm using 61.77...should I roll back to an earlier version
> maybe?

You can try rolling back to older driver. Please note, I am using 61.77 and
above without any problem.

Is that monitor is a older monitor?
Older monitor may have trouble refreshing or resync.

Try the following to see if it will help.
* Set your Refresh rate [Hz] 85Hz. If it set around 85, then set it down
like 75Hz and see if make any differences.
Does it make any differences?
Else try this -
* Turn off Vertical Sync.
Does it make any differences?
Else try this -
* Set Hardware acceleration to the highest like 4xS etc.
Does it make any differences?

Do you have another PC, try this card on another PC and see if the problem
exhibit on the new PC.
If so, your last resort is to get another card [Exchange / RMA etc.].

CapFusion,...
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2004 9:59:20 PM

"Jason Gallas" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 03:16:42 GMT, "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote:
>

>>"Jason Gallas" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

>>> Well, it's a pretty new antec power supply. It's 350W and I don't
>>> have much running on my system now so I don't think that could be it.
>>>
>>I'm getting the same thing, randoms screen resets, usually when I'm
>>deleting
>>a large file. It also happens with any interaction with the Nvidia
>>control
>>panel. Since it all started with the 6800 I put in, thought maybe it was
>>power too. It isn't. I've got an Antec 480W PS.
>>
>>I'm convinced it's a driver issue, and something they need to get off
>>their
>>asses and fix because it's damn irritating and probably not great for the
>>monitor either.
>
> yeah, I'm using 61.77...should I roll back to an earlier version
> maybe?

I read from someone having this problem that earlier drivers didn't display
the behavior. Having a 6800GT I don't have that choice. I'd try it if I
were you.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2005 2:34:57 AM

I have the exact same problem with my geforce Ti4200. All was fine
until I installed SP2, and then I started having intermittent flashes
where my screen would go blank for a second and then come back on. I
noticed it happening when opening windows or scrolling. I have tried
all the drivers from the website (I am currently using 6693), even
previous drivers that I never had a problem with. I have reformatted
my hard drive, and I still have the flashing issue only after
installing SP2. I am convinced it is an issue that surfaced as a
result of installing SP2, but I have exhausted all of my
troubleshooting ideas. If anyone has any ideas, I'd sure appreciate
hearing them.

HRP
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2005 1:21:10 PM

"hrpuffnstuff" <hrpuffnstuff@excite-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> schreef in
bericht news:41f08671$1_3@alt.athenanews.com...
> I have the exact same problem with my geforce Ti4200. All was fine
> until I installed SP2, and then I started having intermittent flashes
> where my screen would go blank for a second and then come back on. I
> noticed it happening when opening windows or scrolling. I have tried
> all the drivers from the website (I am currently using 6693), even
> previous drivers that I never had a problem with. I have reformatted
> my hard drive, and I still have the flashing issue only after
> installing SP2. I am convinced it is an issue that surfaced as a
> result of installing SP2, but I have exhausted all of my
> troubleshooting ideas. If anyone has any ideas, I'd sure appreciate
> hearing them.
>
> HRP

I have almost the same problem with the 61.77 drivers when right-clicking on
any type of video file (avi,wmv,mpeg) or when using shortcuts like ctrl-x to
start moving that type of files. Very annoying but nothing more than than.
I am running Windows XP SP1. I don't have this problem on a Win2000 machine
(not with the 61.77 driver or with a newer one).

I haven't tested it with the latest driver yet but since I also need the
nvidia stereo drivers for my 3d glasses, I can't upgrate (yet).

regards,
Marcel
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2005 2:11:27 PM

Hello,

I had the same problem with my 6800U. Reinstalling/ Updating the nforce
drivers from nvidia solved that problem (5.10)
What kind of Monitor do you use? TFT or CRT? Is it DVI ?

Regards,
Thorsten

"Marcel Overweel" <moverweel@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "hrpuffnstuff" <hrpuffnstuff@excite-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> schreef in
> bericht news:41f08671$1_3@alt.athenanews.com...
>> I have the exact same problem with my geforce Ti4200. All was fine
>> until I installed SP2, and then I started having intermittent flashes
>> where my screen would go blank for a second and then come back on. I
>> noticed it happening when opening windows or scrolling. I have tried
>> all the drivers from the website (I am currently using 6693), even
>> previous drivers that I never had a problem with. I have reformatted
>> my hard drive, and I still have the flashing issue only after
>> installing SP2. I am convinced it is an issue that surfaced as a
>> result of installing SP2, but I have exhausted all of my
>> troubleshooting ideas. If anyone has any ideas, I'd sure appreciate
>> hearing them.
>>
>> HRP
>>
> I have almost the same problem with the 61.77 drivers when right-clicking
> on
> any type of video file (avi,wmv,mpeg) or when using shortcuts like ctrl-x
> start moving that type of files. Very annoying but nothing more than than.
> I am running Windows XP SP1. I don't have this problem on a Win2000
> machine
> (not with the 61.77 driver or with a newer one).
>
> I haven't tested it with the latest driver yet but since I also need the
> nvidia stereo drivers for my 3d glasses, I can't upgrate (yet).
>
> regards,
> Marcel

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2005 2:20:39 PM

Same problem
Installing the last drivers from nvidia didn't fix the problem for me
I'm fighting to uninstall directx and reinstall a previous version, but for
the moment i didn't manage to uninstall it successfully (see
news:41ef8eb8$0$8018$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr and

"hrpuffnstuff" <hrpuffnstuff@excite-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> a écrit dans le
message de news:41f08671$1_3@alt.athenanews.com...
> I have the exact same problem with my geforce Ti4200. All was fine
> until I installed SP2, and then I started having intermittent flashes
> where my screen would go blank for a second and then come back on. I
> noticed it happening when opening windows or scrolling. I have tried
> all the drivers from the website (I am currently using 6693), even
> previous drivers that I never had a problem with. I have reformatted
> my hard drive, and I still have the flashing issue only after
> installing SP2. I am convinced it is an issue that surfaced as a
> result of installing SP2, but I have exhausted all of my
> troubleshooting ideas. If anyone has any ideas, I'd sure appreciate
> hearing them.
>
> HRP

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2005 2:30:22 PM

Hi again,

ok this applies only if you have a nfoce chipset. If not try to update the
latest chipset drivers you have on board.

Regards,
Thorsten

P.S.: switching between graphic drivers didn't help me but the procedure I
mentioned earlier.

"Thorsten Dombrowski" <dombrows@web.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hello,
>
> I had the same problem with my 6800U. Reinstalling/ Updating the nforce
> drivers from nvidia solved that problem (5.10)
> What kind of Monitor do you use? TFT or CRT? Is it DVI ?
>
> Regards,
> Thorsten
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2005 10:29:11 PM

"hrpuffnstuff" <hrpuffnstuff@excite-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:41f08671$1_3@alt.athenanews.com...
> I have the exact same problem with my geforce Ti4200. All was fine
> until I installed SP2, and then I started having intermittent flashes
> where my screen would go blank for a second and then come back on. I
> noticed it happening when opening windows or scrolling. I have tried
> all the drivers from the website (I am currently using 6693), even
> previous drivers that I never had a problem with. I have reformatted
> my hard drive, and I still have the flashing issue only after
> installing SP2. I am convinced it is an issue that surfaced as a
> result of installing SP2, but I have exhausted all of my
> troubleshooting ideas. If anyone has any ideas, I'd sure appreciate
> hearing them.
>
> HRP

Same problem with me. 4200 with Win2K SP4 & 61.77 drivers. Connected via DVI
to a LG TFT running 1280x1024 32bit 60Hz
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2005 10:49:48 PM

"Reckless" <reckless@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "hrpuffnstuff" <hrpuffnstuff@excite-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
> message news:41f08671$1_3@alt.athenanews.com...
>> I have the exact same problem with my geforce Ti4200. All was fine
>> until I installed SP2, and then I started having intermittent flashes
>> where my screen would go blank for a second and then come back on. I
>> noticed it happening when opening windows or scrolling. I have tried
>> all the drivers from the website (I am currently using 6693), even
>> previous drivers that I never had a problem with. I have reformatted
>> my hard drive, and I still have the flashing issue only after
>> installing SP2. I am convinced it is an issue that surfaced as a
>> result of installing SP2, but I have exhausted all of my
>> troubleshooting ideas. If anyone has any ideas, I'd sure appreciate
>> hearing them.
>>
>> HRP
>>

> Same problem with me. 4200 with Win2K SP4 & 61.77 drivers. Connected via
> DVI
> to a LG TFT running 1280x1024 32bit 60Hz

Deleting the video file reg keys helps a lot. More info here...
http://www.techimo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117062&pa...
!