Which Driver to use

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 8, 2004 5:27:07 PM

Hi

I am running XP service pack 2 and using a Ti4200 128mb and windows update
says there is a new driver for my machine, although I am running what i
believe to be the latest 61.77 drivers from the Nvidia site.

Am I using the right drivers or should I get the ones from Windows? I mainly
use the PC for gaming so want the best performance. I have had no stability
issues with the 61.77 drivers

Cheers

Rich

---

More about : driver

Anonymous
October 8, 2004 5:27:08 PM

"Rich" <newsgroupsnospam@nospamyellafellasolutions.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am running XP service pack 2 and using a Ti4200 128mb and windows update
> says there is a new driver for my machine, although I am running what i
> believe to be the latest 61.77 drivers from the Nvidia site.
>
> Am I using the right drivers or should I get the ones from Windows? I
> mainly use the PC for gaming so want the best performance. I have had no
> stability issues with the 61.77 drivers
>
> Cheers
>
> Rich

Using the latest driver from nVidia should be fine. Ignore Windows.

CapFusion,...
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 6:55:01 PM

where's davew!? lol
"Rich" <newsgroupsnospam@nospamyellafellasolutions.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am running XP service pack 2 and using a Ti4200 128mb and windows update
> says there is a new driver for my machine, although I am running what i
> believe to be the latest 61.77 drivers from the Nvidia site.
>
> Am I using the right drivers or should I get the ones from Windows? I
> mainly use the PC for gaming so want the best performance. I have had no
> stability issues with the 61.77 drivers
>
> Cheers
>
> Rich
>

> ---

October 8, 2004 8:36:06 PM

Rich wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am running XP service pack 2 and using a Ti4200 128mb and windows update
> says there is a new driver for my machine, although I am running what i
> believe to be the latest 61.77 drivers from the Nvidia site.
>
> Am I using the right drivers or should I get the ones from Windows? I mainly
> use the PC for gaming so want the best performance. I have had no stability
> issues with the 61.77 drivers
>
> Cheers
>
> Rich
>

> ---

Most often the drivers you get from the windows update site are far
outdated compared to the ones you get directly from the manufacturer's
website. Use the 61.77 drivers. They are the better drivers.
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 6:45:29 PM

Stay away from the video drivers on the Windows update site...
"Rich" <newsgroupsnospam@nospamyellafellasolutions.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am running XP service pack 2 and using a Ti4200 128mb and windows update
> says there is a new driver for my machine, although I am running what i
> believe to be the latest 61.77 drivers from the Nvidia site.
>
> Am I using the right drivers or should I get the ones from Windows? I
mainly
> use the PC for gaming so want the best performance. I have had no
stability
> issues with the 61.77 drivers
>
> Cheers
>
> Rich
>

> ---

October 11, 2004 11:33:06 PM

Bill & Cin Miller <bcmiller@mchsi.com> wrote:

>Most often the drivers you get from the windows update site are far
>outdated compared to the ones you get directly from the manufacturer's
>website. Use the 61.77 drivers. They are the better drivers.

Excuse my chipping in. Is it necessary to uninstall the existing
drivers or take other crucial preparatory measures, or can I simply
execute the downloaded EXE that I get from the site?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Anonymous

"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Bill & Cin Miller <bcmiller@mchsi.com> wrote:
>
>>Most often the drivers you get from the windows update site are far
>>outdated compared to the ones you get directly from the manufacturer's
>>website. Use the 61.77 drivers. They are the better drivers.
>
> Excuse my chipping in. Is it necessary to uninstall the existing
> drivers or take other crucial preparatory measures, or can I simply
> execute the downloaded EXE that I get from the site?
>
> --

If you experience and know how to get out of messy situation, better if you
uninstall first then reinstall. Otherwise, simply install.

CapFusion,...
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 10:48:11 AM

CapFusion wrote:
> "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> Bill & Cin Miller <bcmiller@mchsi.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Most often the drivers you get from the windows update site are far
>>> outdated compared to the ones you get directly from the
>>> manufacturer's website. Use the 61.77 drivers. They are the better
>>> drivers.
>>
>> Excuse my chipping in. Is it necessary to uninstall the existing
>> drivers or take other crucial preparatory measures, or can I simply
>> execute the downloaded EXE that I get from the site?
>
> If you experience and know how to get out of messy situation, better
> if you uninstall first then reinstall. Otherwise, simply install.

I've seen this advice often in the past so it must have merit, but I'd like
to understand why this is so. There can't be two identically named files in
the same directory, so that wouldn't be the source of a problem, so, what
would be the reason for this? Confusion in the registry, perhaps?

dvus
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 8:57:01 PM

"dvus" <dven1@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> CapFusion wrote:
>> "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message

>>> Excuse my chipping in. Is it necessary to uninstall the existing
>>> drivers or take other crucial preparatory measures, or can I simply
>>> execute the downloaded EXE that I get from the site?
>>
>> If you experience and know how to get out of messy situation, better
>> if you uninstall first then reinstall. Otherwise, simply install.
>
> I've seen this advice often in the past so it must have merit, but I'd
> like to understand why this is so. There can't be two identically named
> files in the same directory, so that wouldn't be the source of a problem,
> so, what would be the reason for this? Confusion in the registry, perhaps?
>
> dvus

Generally speaking the answer is yes.

CapFusion,...
!