Which Driver to use

Hi

I am running XP service pack 2 and using a Ti4200 128mb and windows update
says there is a new driver for my machine, although I am running what i
believe to be the latest 61.77 drivers from the Nvidia site.

Am I using the right drivers or should I get the ones from Windows? I mainly
use the PC for gaming so want the best performance. I have had no stability
issues with the 61.77 drivers

Cheers

Rich

---
More about which driver

    "Rich" <newsgroupsnospam@nospamyellafellasolutions.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I am running XP service pack 2 and using a Ti4200 128mb and windows update
    > says there is a new driver for my machine, although I am running what i
    > believe to be the latest 61.77 drivers from the Nvidia site.
    >
    > Am I using the right drivers or should I get the ones from Windows? I
    > mainly use the PC for gaming so want the best performance. I have had no
    > stability issues with the 61.77 drivers
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Rich

    Using the latest driver from nVidia should be fine. Ignore Windows.

    CapFusion,...

    where's davew!? lol

    Rich wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am running XP service pack 2 and using a Ti4200 128mb and windows update
    > says there is a new driver for my machine, although I am running what i
    > believe to be the latest 61.77 drivers from the Nvidia site.
    >
    > Am I using the right drivers or should I get the ones from Windows? I mainly
    > use the PC for gaming so want the best performance. I have had no stability
    > issues with the 61.77 drivers
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Rich
    >

    > ---

    Most often the drivers you get from the windows update site are far
    outdated compared to the ones you get directly from the manufacturer's
    website. Use the 61.77 drivers. They are the better drivers.

    Stay away from the video drivers on the Windows update site...

    Bill & Cin Miller <bcmiller@mchsi.com> wrote:

    >Most often the drivers you get from the windows update site are far
    >outdated compared to the ones you get directly from the manufacturer's
    >website. Use the 61.77 drivers. They are the better drivers.

    Excuse my chipping in. Is it necessary to uninstall the existing
    drivers or take other crucial preparatory measures, or can I simply
    execute the downloaded EXE that I get from the site?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > Bill & Cin Miller <bcmiller@mchsi.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Most often the drivers you get from the windows update site are far
    >>outdated compared to the ones you get directly from the manufacturer's
    >>website. Use the 61.77 drivers. They are the better drivers.
    >
    > Excuse my chipping in. Is it necessary to uninstall the existing
    > drivers or take other crucial preparatory measures, or can I simply
    > execute the downloaded EXE that I get from the site?
    >
    > --

    If you experience and know how to get out of messy situation, better if you
    uninstall first then reinstall. Otherwise, simply install.

    CapFusion,...

    CapFusion wrote:
    > "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
    >> Bill & Cin Miller <bcmiller@mchsi.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Most often the drivers you get from the windows update site are far
    >>> outdated compared to the ones you get directly from the
    >>> manufacturer's website. Use the 61.77 drivers. They are the better
    >>> drivers.
    >>
    >> Excuse my chipping in. Is it necessary to uninstall the existing
    >> drivers or take other crucial preparatory measures, or can I simply
    >> execute the downloaded EXE that I get from the site?
    >
    > If you experience and know how to get out of messy situation, better
    > if you uninstall first then reinstall. Otherwise, simply install.

    I've seen this advice often in the past so it must have merit, but I'd like
    to understand why this is so. There can't be two identically named files in
    the same directory, so that wouldn't be the source of a problem, so, what
    would be the reason for this? Confusion in the registry, perhaps?

    dvus

    "dvus" <dven1@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > CapFusion wrote:
    >> "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message

    >>> Excuse my chipping in. Is it necessary to uninstall the existing
    >>> drivers or take other crucial preparatory measures, or can I simply
    >>> execute the downloaded EXE that I get from the site?
    >>
    >> If you experience and know how to get out of messy situation, better
    >> if you uninstall first then reinstall. Otherwise, simply install.
    >
    > I've seen this advice often in the past so it must have merit, but I'd
    > like to understand why this is so. There can't be two identically named
    > files in the same directory, so that wouldn't be the source of a problem,
    > so, what would be the reason for this? Confusion in the registry, perhaps?
    >
    > dvus

    Generally speaking the answer is yes.

    CapFusion,...

Nvidia Graphics