BIOS Update problem on GP6-450

I have a GP6-450 with a Jabil BX Motherboard w/ Integrated Audio R1,
part # 4000434.

I want to update the bios to a later version from what I currently
have, which is 4w4sboxo.15a.0006.p04

The only downloadable bios on the Gateway website for this board is
4W4SB0X0.15A.0019.P14

I've followed the install instructions. The bios update program begins
and gets to 75% complete, to the point where it says something like

It then stops and I get a message, from within the BIOS update utility,
"the update was unsuccessful".

The old bios still works fine after this. I've tried different
flopppies formatted in various ways (from win98, from DOS) but still no
joy.

I've been leaving the bios jumpers on the board in normal position
since there is no instruction to do otherwise.

Is this bios incompatible with his board? Is there something else I
should try?
5 answers Last reply
More about bios update problem

    OK figured it out. Maybe this will help someone else...

    Must have been 3 bad floppies that I was using.

    - Booted to A: from Win98 boot disk.
    - replaced boot disk with bios floppy
    - copied bios files to RAMDRIVE (E:)
    - ran IFLASH from RAMDRIVE
    - success!

    I did full formats of all three of the floppies I tried, either Win98
    or DOS based. They all worked well enough when copying files to/from
    them, no signs of problems.

    This Gateway is a nice machine for its age. With a PII 450 and 384 MB
    of RAM running Win2000 its speed is practically indistinguishable from
    an Athlon XP1600 WinXP machine with 256MB RAM. This for office apps
    and web.

    Does the WS440BX motherboard have a jumper setting to disallow flash BIOS
    updates? It also may have a setting to recover the BIOS, which you do not want
    to do. The presence of these jumpers would be consistent with Intel motherboard
    designs... Ben Myers

    On 5 Mar 2005 06:24:43 -0800, "Ken" <kenmilne@attbi.com> wrote:

    >I have a GP6-450 with a Jabil BX Motherboard w/ Integrated Audio R1,
    >part # 4000434.
    >
    >I want to update the bios to a later version from what I currently
    >have, which is 4w4sboxo.15a.0006.p04
    >
    >The only downloadable bios on the Gateway website for this board is
    >4W4SB0X0.15A.0019.P14
    >
    >I've followed the install instructions. The bios update program begins
    >and gets to 75% complete, to the point where it says something like
    >
    >It then stops and I get a message, from within the BIOS update utility,
    >"the update was unsuccessful".
    >
    >The old bios still works fine after this. I've tried different
    >flopppies formatted in various ways (from win98, from DOS) but still no
    >joy.
    >
    >I've been leaving the bios jumpers on the board in normal position
    >since there is no instruction to do otherwise.
    >
    >Is this bios incompatible with his board? Is there something else I
    >should try?

    Whenever I prepare a floppy to use to flash a mobo BIOS, I ALWAYS format it
    first, doing a full format. Any bad spots, and the floppy goes in the trash. I
    probably have a 1000 floppys here, so one less won't matter. It's not worth the
    risk of a possible failed BIOS flash to use questionable diskette media.

    .... Ben Myers

    On 5 Mar 2005 08:20:17 -0800, "Ken" <kenmilne@attbi.com> wrote:

    >OK figured it out. Maybe this will help someone else...
    >
    >Must have been 3 bad floppies that I was using.
    >
    >- Booted to A: from Win98 boot disk.
    >- replaced boot disk with bios floppy
    >- copied bios files to RAMDRIVE (E:)
    >- ran IFLASH from RAMDRIVE
    >- success!

    I have exactly the same as your starting bios..15a.0006.p04 etc. My
    problem is that the computer wont take any keyboard inputs on the
    bios screen..at least not that I can get it to do.

    Did u have the same problem? did the new bios cure it? Why did u
    upgrade your bios?

    Yes I agree about the speed but I unfortunatley only have 128 of ram
    in it. Good machine for its age...and quiet...having no CPU fan.

    Dale

Gateway BIOS Motherboards Computers