Nvidia 6600 256MB or 6600GT 128MB?

jeff

I'm looking to build a new machine and have decided to go PCI Express
instead of AGP.
Based on the limited information I've been able to find, it looks like the
higher end 6600
cards come non-GT with 256MB or GT with 128MB. If there was a GT with 256MB
I would buy that, but since I don't seem to find anything like that, I'm
wondering which
would be the better choice?

My gaming habits will tend toward FPS like DOOM3 and Half-Life 2 and other
titles
like Warcraft. Will the extra speed of the GT be more important than the
extra RAM,
or would it be better to have the lower clocks and more RAM?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff wrote:
> I'm looking to build a new machine and have decided to go PCI Express
> instead of AGP.
> Based on the limited information I've been able to find, it looks like the
> higher end 6600
> cards come non-GT with 256MB or GT with 128MB. If there was a GT with 256MB
> I would buy that, but since I don't seem to find anything like that, I'm
> wondering which
> would be the better choice?
>
> My gaming habits will tend toward FPS like DOOM3 and Half-Life 2 and other
> titles
> like Warcraft. Will the extra speed of the GT be more important than the
> extra RAM,
> or would it be better to have the lower clocks and more RAM?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

There aren't any games out right now that actually require the 256mb
cards, so if I were you, I'd go for the faster of the two cards, rather
than more vram.

jeff

"The DragunLadee" <bcmiller@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> Jeff wrote:
> > I'm looking to build a new machine and have decided to go PCI Express
> > instead of AGP.
> > Based on the limited information I've been able to find, it looks like
the
> > higher end 6600
> > cards come non-GT with 256MB or GT with 128MB. If there was a GT with
256MB
> > I would buy that, but since I don't seem to find anything like that, I'm
> > wondering which
> > would be the better choice?
> >
> > My gaming habits will tend toward FPS like DOOM3 and Half-Life 2 and
other
> > titles
> > like Warcraft. Will the extra speed of the GT be more important than
the
> > extra RAM,
> > or would it be better to have the lower clocks and more RAM?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> There aren't any games out right now that actually require the 256mb
> cards, so if I were you, I'd go for the faster of the two cards, rather
> than more vram.

Here's another thought - what about getting the 256MB card and overclocking?
Are GT speeds
attainable with a non-GT card? Best of both worlds?

> Here's another thought - what about getting the 256MB card and overclocking?
> Are GT speeds
> attainable with a non-GT card? Best of both worlds?

Probably not. The GT has 1GHz DDR3, and the non-GT has 550MHz DDR.
It might as well be called the 6600MX.

No Jeff,

The 6600 vanilla comes only with POS DDR RAM. GT comes with DDR3. Another
thought would be to clock the GT even higher.

If I were you I'd get the GT. I think only Doom 3 can use up to 512MB VRAM
for now. HL2 would be fine with 128MB.

"Jeff" <nospam@nospam.com> ¦b¶l¥ó news:EOrad.105895$He1.76679@attbi_s01 ¤¤¼¶
¼g...

> Here's another thought - what about getting the 256MB card and
overclocking?
> Are GT speeds
> attainable with a non-GT card? Best of both worlds?

Good Call man ;) 6600MX lmao! Right ON!

"Lachoneus" <stanmuffin@gmail.com> ???
news:6179ef8c.0410110619.457cc609@posting.google.com ???...
> > Here's another thought - what about getting the 256MB card and
overclocking?
> > Are GT speeds
> > attainable with a non-GT card? Best of both worlds?
>
> Probably not. The GT has 1GHz DDR3, and the non-GT has 550MHz DDR.
> It might as well be called the 6600MX.

jeff

Sounds like I'm going with the GT! Thanks for the replies everyone.

Jeff

"Bronney Hui" <bronney@netvigator.com> wrote in message
> Good Call man ;) 6600MX lmao! Right ON!
>
> "Lachoneus" <stanmuffin@gmail.com> ???
> news:6179ef8c.0410110619.457cc609@posting.google.com ???...
> > > Here's another thought - what about getting the 256MB card and
> overclocking?
> > > Are GT speeds
> > > attainable with a non-GT card? Best of both worlds?
> >
> > Probably not. The GT has 1GHz DDR3, and the non-GT has 550MHz DDR.
> > It might as well be called the 6600MX.

TRENDING THREADS