GTA IV speculation

Or GTA 6, as some would have it.

The main thing that I'd like to see is for the police to treat everyone
equally, or at least realistically, based on stereotypes such as black
people and hippies being frisked, etc. I have seen cop cars start to
chase other vehicles in SA, but I'd like to see this improved. I'd also
like to see the police get annoyed if I run a red light or knock down a
lamp-post. They might need to scatter police bribes around more
liberally, and increase the resolution of the wanted level (1-10, and
they start shooting at 3).

I'm not sure about a more flexible story-line, I wouldn't mess with the
winning formula that much. A selectable character (black, hispanic,
italian, etc.) might work but the story would have to be quite generic
and therefore probably less interesting.

Streamline the exercise, eating, and clothes changing sections, these
are too time-consuming and thumb-damaging.

I heard a radio segment the other day that mentioned another city,
maybe Carter City? Carver? It sounded like Detroit, it mentioned car
manufacturing. That's my prediction for GTA IV.

Any other suggestions, or predictions...

Phil Hibbs.
30 answers Last reply
More about speculation

    Ah, I haven't played Manhunt.

    Phil Hibbs.

    "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Or GTA 6, as some would have it.
    >

    > I heard a radio segment the other day that mentioned another city,
    > maybe Carter City? Carver? It sounded like Detroit, it mentioned car
    > manufacturing. That's my prediction for GTA IV.

    That would be Carcer City which is where another Rockstar game called
    Manhunt was set

    Kang wrote:
    > "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Or GTA 6, as some would have it.
    > >
    > > The main thing that I'd like to see is for the police to treat everyone
    > > equally, or at least realistically, based on stereotypes such as black
    > > people and hippies being frisked, etc. I have seen cop cars start to
    > > chase other vehicles in SA, but I'd like to see this improved. I'd also
    > > like to see the police get annoyed if I run a red light or knock down a
    > > lamp-post. They might need to scatter police bribes around more
    > > liberally, and increase the resolution of the wanted level (1-10, and
    > > they start shooting at 3).
    > >
    > > I'm not sure about a more flexible story-line, I wouldn't mess with the
    > > winning formula that much. A selectable character (black, hispanic,
    > > italian, etc.) might work but the story would have to be quite generic
    > > and therefore probably less interesting.
    >
    > They've done the mafia. They've done gangs. What's next?

    Government - Military, FBI, CIA, etc.

    On 21 Jul 2005 09:34:40 -0700, "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Or GTA 6, as some would have it.
    >
    >but I'd like to see this improved. I'd also
    >like to see the police get annoyed if I run a red light or knock down a
    >lamp-post.

    I think that would make the game rather annoying as it is impossible
    to play without doing those things unless you go really slow...and
    almost constantly having a wanted rating would grow tiresome IMO...

    --
    The Zero ST
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    > Ah, I haven't played Manhunt.
    >
    > Phil Hibbs.

    You should be able to get it cheap now. Think Play.com were doing it for
    £10...well worth it in my opinion. Manhunt is also where CJ's stealth moves
    and throat slitting ability originated from
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Kang wrote:
    > "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Or GTA 6, as some would have it.
    > >
    > > The main thing that I'd like to see is for the police to treat everyone
    > > equally, or at least realistically, based on stereotypes such as black
    > > people and hippies being frisked, etc. I have seen cop cars start to
    > > chase other vehicles in SA, but I'd like to see this improved. I'd also
    > > like to see the police get annoyed if I run a red light or knock down a
    > > lamp-post. They might need to scatter police bribes around more
    > > liberally, and increase the resolution of the wanted level (1-10, and
    > > they start shooting at 3).
    > >
    > > I'm not sure about a more flexible story-line, I wouldn't mess with the
    > > winning formula that much. A selectable character (black, hispanic,
    > > italian, etc.) might work but the story would have to be quite generic
    > > and therefore probably less interesting.
    >
    > They've done the mafia. They've done gangs. What's next? Maybe you could play
    > as a terrorist.

    As a towel-head-suicide bomber? Doubt that'd get past the focus groups.

    Hot, busty Japanese ninja-chick with a big gun fetish would be my
    preferred choice!
    =)
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in

    > Or GTA 6, as some would have it.
    >
    > The main thing that I'd like to see is for the police to treat everyone
    > equally, or at least realistically, based on stereotypes such as black
    > people and hippies being frisked, etc. I have seen cop cars start to
    > chase other vehicles in SA, but I'd like to see this improved. I'd also
    > like to see the police get annoyed if I run a red light or knock down a
    > lamp-post. They might need to scatter police bribes around more
    > liberally, and increase the resolution of the wanted level (1-10, and
    > they start shooting at 3).
    >
    > I'm not sure about a more flexible story-line, I wouldn't mess with the
    > winning formula that much. A selectable character (black, hispanic,
    > italian, etc.) might work but the story would have to be quite generic
    > and therefore probably less interesting.

    They've done the mafia. They've done gangs. What's next? Maybe you could play
    as a terrorist.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    >I think that would make the game rather annoying...

    That's why I also suggested increasing the resolution of the wanted
    scale. One star, the cops just follow you for a while, *if* they happen
    to spot you. Two, they try to stop you and nick some money as a bribe
    (maybe a Yes/No option). Three, they start ramming you off the road and
    shooting you, basically like one star at present. Four, they start
    using shotguns and a helicopter follows you, at five the helicopter
    starts shooting, six gets you SWAT teams, seven for FBI, eight for a
    tank, nine for something else I haven't thought of, and ten for a
    hunter helicopter with a minigun and rockets!

    Phil Hibbs.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Well, it's sectarian, but not strictly racist. Anyway, I took it as an
    ironic usage. Tricky subject though.

    Phil Hibbs.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    OK then - no more mention of "towel-heads". Whew! Tough crowd!
    ; )

    Maybe they should use the farting Indian dude from the LS betting shop
    for GTA "VI" - that dude always cracks me up...

    Doh!
    =)
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Kang wrote:

    > "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Or GTA 6, as some would have it.
    > >
    > > The main thing that I'd like to see is for the police to treat everyone
    > > equally, or at least realistically, based on stereotypes such as black
    > > people and hippies being frisked, etc. I have seen cop cars start to
    > > chase other vehicles in SA, but I'd like to see this improved. I'd also
    > > like to see the police get annoyed if I run a red light or knock down a
    > > lamp-post. They might need to scatter police bribes around more
    > > liberally, and increase the resolution of the wanted level (1-10, and
    > > they start shooting at 3).
    > >
    > > I'm not sure about a more flexible story-line, I wouldn't mess with the
    > > winning formula that much. A selectable character (black, hispanic,
    > > italian, etc.) might work but the story would have to be quite generic
    > > and therefore probably less interesting.
    >
    > They've done the mafia. They've done gangs. What's next? Maybe you could play
    > as a terrorist.

    shopping mall security guard.

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look

    "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Ah, I haven't played Manhunt.
    >
    > Phil Hibbs.

    Carcer city was also mentioned in Vice City. That American footballer bloke
    was on the radio talking about a game he played against Carcer City. And
    there's a bed shop somewhere in Vice that has a sign saying "The best bed
    shop in Carcer City" for some reason, maybe it's just a sign they re-used
    from Manhunt.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    G Hardy wrote:
    > Recently I received a warning about the use of this politically
    > incorrect term, so please note, we all need to be more sensitive in our
    > choice of words.
    >
    > I have been informed the Islamic terrorists , who hate our guts and want
    > to kill us, do not like to be called "Towel Heads", since the item they
    > wear on their heads is not actually a towel, but in fact, a small folded
    > sheet.
    >
    > Therefore, from this point forward, please refer to them as "Little
    > Sheet Heads."
    > Thank you for your support and compliance on this delicate matter.

    LOL!!

    Actually, on a more serious note, ever noticed that while R* have no
    problem making fun of Haitians, Indians, Black people, Rednecks, Asians
    (ever notice the Japanese tourists complete with snappy cameras in
    LV?), and pretty much any other race out there, they seem to shy away
    from including ANY middle-eastern types in any of the games. (Hasn't
    *cough* seemed to have harmed sales any.)

    Fair enough I guess. No need to offend absolutely EVERYONE on the
    planet now is there.
    ^_^
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "Class 1" <Class1@fastmail.fm> wrote in message

    > As a towel-head-suicide bomber? Doubt that'd get past the focus groups.

    "towel-head"? Are we being openly racist here now?
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Chris Wright wrote:

    > "Class 1" <Class1@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    > >
    > > As a towel-head-suicide bomber? Doubt that'd get past the focus groups.
    > >

    > "towel-head"? Are we being openly racist here now?

    i doubt a single one of the london bombers was wearing a towel on his
    head.
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Kang wrote:
    > They've done the mafia. They've done gangs. What's next?

    Chavs.

    In between nicking cars, shoplifting and pimping out your sisters you
    can play mini-games to see how many teenage slappers you can get
    pregnant in one night...

    Mark
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote in message

    > "Class 1" <Class1@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    > >
    > > As a towel-head-suicide bomber? Doubt that'd get past the focus groups.
    > >

    > "towel-head"? Are we being openly racist here now?

    Recently I received a warning about the use of this politically
    incorrect term, so please note, we all need to be more sensitive in our
    choice of words.

    I have been informed the Islamic terrorists , who hate our guts and want
    to kill us, do not like to be called "Towel Heads", since the item they
    wear on their heads is not actually a towel, but in fact, a small folded
    sheet.

    Therefore, from this point forward, please refer to them as "Little
    Sheet Heads."
    Thank you for your support and compliance on this delicate matter.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    > ...ten for a
    > hunter helicopter with a minigun and rockets!

    The Hunter (Apache) is armed with a 30mm single-barrel chain gun that fires
    high-explosive rounds. The reload mechanism is belt-driven by an electric
    motor (the "belt" is actually a bit of industrial chain, a bit like a bike
    chain). This makes jams less likely as spent cartridges are ejected without
    the need for their own exhaust gases. Despite only having one barrel, it can
    still almost achieve cyclic rates of fire (I forget what it can actually
    manage).

    The minigun uses 22mm standard NATO ammo (sometimes depleted uranium) and
    fires at 3000 or 6000 rounds a minute, which means the 6" or so of
    ammunition we see perpetually hanging from the minigun in the GTA games
    would last (approximately) between one twentieth and one tenth of a second.

    Just a bit of useless trivia 4 ya
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    In message <1122035181.845189.298960@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>
    "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote:

    > and ten for a hunter helicopter with a minigun and rockets!

    Ooooh yes, that was on my wishlist for SA. The Hydra they put up
    against you isn't bad, but it only attacks you if you're in the air.

    I'm pretty sure that the air force wouldn't use a Harrier jump jet to
    on ground targets when a gunship is much more effective, but if you as
    a playable character can do it, why can't they?

    Cheers,
    Rob
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    In message <j89Ee.2$YL5.1@newsfe2-win.ntli.net>
    "G Hardy" <gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com> wrote:

    > Just a bit of useless trivia 4 ya

    I've seen on-board footage of an Apache taking out ground targets, and
    *damn* is it accurate.

    Good thing that all the pain I've inflicted on the playable characters
    of the GTA series has made me superhuman in real life :o)

    Cheers,
    Rob
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    mmaker@my-deja.com wrote:

    > Kang wrote:
    > > They've done the mafia. They've done gangs. What's next?
    >
    > Chavs.
    >
    > In between nicking cars, shoplifting and pimping out your sisters you
    > can play mini-games to see how many teenage slappers you can get
    > pregnant in one night...
    >
    > Mark

    must include Chavies instead of homies. Chavies will sit around on
    walls etc and harass passers-by with

    "Have yer gorra tab mate?"

    and when they're told no they will stone the person.

    or can have conversations such as my wife overheard from a group today

    "E's a right un, got his bird preggers again."

    "Well, it was either him or Garry."

    (lad whose bird is pregnant) "Aye"

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    In message <1122058658.705382.176540@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>
    mmaker@my-deja.com wrote:

    > Chavs.

    GTA: Wimbledon! (see .sig).

    :oD

    Cheers,
    Rob
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    TV's PhilHibbs wrote:
    > >I think that would make the game rather annoying...
    >
    > That's why I also suggested increasing the resolution of the wanted
    > scale. One star, the cops just follow you for a while, *if* they happen
    > to spot you. Two, they try to stop you and nick some money as a bribe
    > (maybe a Yes/No option). Three, they start ramming you off the road and
    > shooting you, basically like one star at present. Four, they start
    > using shotguns and a helicopter follows you, at five the helicopter
    > starts shooting, six gets you SWAT teams, seven for FBI, eight for a
    > tank, nine for something else I haven't thought of, and ten for a
    > hunter helicopter with a minigun and rockets!

    I like that idea. I've always thought it was a little unrealistic to speed
    through town, running red lights, and the cops ignore you. At least they go
    after you if you smash into another car in their presence.

    --

    Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.
    A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing.

    aa #2133
    ap #19
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    TV's Class 1 wrote:
    >G Hardy wrote:
    >> Recently I received a warning about the use of this politically
    >> incorrect term, so please note, we all need to be more sensitive in our
    >> choice of words.
    >>
    >> I have been informed the Islamic terrorists , who hate our guts and want
    >> to kill us, do not like to be called "Towel Heads", since the item they
    >> wear on their heads is not actually a towel, but in fact, a small folded
    >> sheet.
    >>
    >> Therefore, from this point forward, please refer to them as "Little
    >> Sheet Heads."
    >> Thank you for your support and compliance on this delicate matter.
    >
    > LOL!!
    >
    > Actually, on a more serious note, ever noticed that while R* have no
    > problem making fun of Haitians, Indians, Black people, Rednecks, Asians
    > (ever notice the Japanese tourists complete with snappy cameras in
    > LV?), and pretty much any other race out there, they seem to shy away
    > from including ANY middle-eastern types in any of the games. (Hasn't
    > *cough* seemed to have harmed sales any.)

    That's part of why Dave Chappelle is so funny. He makes fun of everybody,
    including himself, equally.

    --

    Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.
    A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing.
    - Maynard James Keenan

    aa #2133
    ap #19
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    I think thats the best way to do comedy. Make fun of yourself and
    everyone else so they can't say your against a particular group.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "towelie" <bugoNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > ...I've always thought it was a little unrealistic to speed
    > through town, running red lights, and the cops ignore you. At least they
    go
    > after you if you smash into another car in their presence.

    I've not found that - you have to hit their car for the offence to register.
    I've vaulted on of the hilltop streets in SF, gone sailing over a cop car
    and smashed into another car at the lights, and they do nothing.

    If you hit the cop car too hard, it doesn't register either. If they turn
    unexpectedly across your path and you just touch their car while braking
    hard, they get out and shoot you. If you're hurtling down the wrong side of
    the (urban) road at highway speed or above, and deliberately hit them
    full-bore, they ignore it.

    My favourite pastime at the moment is ramming stationary cars into adjacent
    cop cars at the lights. The driver gets out with a club or bat, only to be
    shot by the cops who seemed to have missed the fact that it wasn't his
    fault...
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    TV's G Hardy wrote:
    > "towelie" <bugoNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> ...I've always thought it was a little unrealistic to speed
    >> through town, running red lights, and the cops ignore you. At least they
    >> go
    >> after you if you smash into another car in their presence.
    >
    > I've not found that - you have to hit their car for the offence to
    > register.
    > I've vaulted on of the hilltop streets in SF, gone sailing over a cop car
    > and smashed into another car at the lights, and they do nothing.

    It depends. Sometimes they'll start chasing you, depending on how far from
    the accident they were.

    > If you hit the cop car too hard, it doesn't register either. If they turn
    > unexpectedly across your path and you just touch their car while braking
    > hard, they get out and shoot you. If you're hurtling down the wrong side
    > of
    > the (urban) road at highway speed or above, and deliberately hit them
    > full-bore, they ignore it.

    I always laugh when I get a star, the cops get out of the car and shoot at
    me or whatever, then hop back in the car and take off.

    > My favourite pastime at the moment is ramming stationary cars into
    > adjacent
    > cop cars at the lights. The driver gets out with a club or bat, only to be
    > shot by the cops who seemed to have missed the fact that it wasn't his
    > fault...

    I'll have to try that!

    --

    Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.
    A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing.
    - Maynard James Keenan

    aa #2133
    ap #19
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Or GTA 6, as some would have it.
    >
    > The main thing that I'd like to see is for the police to treat everyone
    > equally, or at least realistically, based on stereotypes such as black
    > people and hippies being frisked, etc. I have seen cop cars start to
    > chase other vehicles in SA, but I'd like to see this improved. I'd also
    > like to see the police get annoyed if I run a red light or knock down a
    > lamp-post. They might need to scatter police bribes around more
    > liberally, and increase the resolution of the wanted level (1-10, and
    > they start shooting at 3).
    >
    > I'm not sure about a more flexible story-line, I wouldn't mess with the
    > winning formula that much. A selectable character (black, hispanic,
    > italian, etc.) might work but the story would have to be quite generic
    > and therefore probably less interesting.

    I think the character should simply be male or female (selectable by the player,
    or even created by one although this could really detract from the game,
    especially as clothing options would be readily availabele in-game anyway) with
    two sets of voice-overs for that character. The story would pretty much be
    fixed, or with enough variation to make you want to play the game twice with the
    alternative character.

    They can't really go beyond this or else as you say, the story would become
    generic.

    > Streamline the exercise, eating, and clothes changing sections, these
    > are too time-consuming and thumb-damaging.

    Yep. If Rockstar still want to include this kind of stuff, they should see how
    Maxis did it with The Sims and The Urbz - namely, no repeat animations every
    time you preview new clothes (in The Urbz you have a preview window with all the
    clothing/tattoo/jewellery styles on the left of the screen and your "Urb" on the
    right with previews superimposed via a button press. No time-consuming, and
    somewhat tedious walk out/walk in animations like SA)

    Exercise in the same way could be reduced to hammering a single button, not two
    at once. Older PS2 controllers can handle this abuse, but newer ones (i.e. any
    made from late 2004 onwards) are poorly manufactured and wear out too easily.

    In addition to the above, i would like to see a real-time option, where the
    in-game clock is set to the same time settings as the PS3. Of course, this
    option could be disabled if so required. Games like Animal Crossing on GC and
    the upcoming Sims 2 on DS (and Animal Crossing DS for that matter) use this
    feature.

    Also, some proper use of the space would be good too. I found what I think is a
    hidden tunnel in the side of Mount Chiliad last night (although it may actually
    be used for the mountain bike races), and I'm still coming across abandoned
    buildings out in the forest that seemingly would be ignored altogether by the
    story/side missions in the game. How about a cave on a beach or something?

    And, for no reason at all, a 10,000ft+ mountain complete with snow and ski
    resort. Perhaps run by a crime family or something. Nah, that one /would/ be
    pointless! ;-)

    Paul.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Martin Ebnoether wrote:
    > It should be London. Or any other european city. Zürich (I mean
    > the whole canton) would be cool too. Trams, Busses, lots of one
    > ways, roundabouts and stuff and of course the Langstrasse, our
    > own red-light district. =:-)

    Based on San Andreas, Rockstar will put the whole of Europe in the
    game, you'll be based in Paris, you'll have to drive to Zurich to start
    the mission and then drive all the way back to Paris to spend ten
    seconds trying to do the mission before failing, and then drive all the
    way back to Zurich to restart the mission again :).

    Mark
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    PhilHibbs schrieb:

    > I heard a radio segment the other day that mentioned another city,
    > maybe Carter City? Carver? It sounded like Detroit, it mentioned car
    > manufacturing. That's my prediction for GTA IV.

    It should be London. Or any other european city. Zürich (I mean
    the whole canton) would be cool too. Trams, Busses, lots of one
    ways, roundabouts and stuff and of course the Langstrasse, our
    own red-light district. =:-)

    One can dream alright.

    CU, Venty

Video Games