GTA IV speculation

Last response: in Video Games
July 21, 2005 1:34:40 PM

Or GTA 6, as some would have it.

The main thing that I'd like to see is for the police to treat everyone
equally, or at least realistically, based on stereotypes such as black
people and hippies being frisked, etc. I have seen cop cars start to
chase other vehicles in SA, but I'd like to see this improved. I'd also
like to see the police get annoyed if I run a red light or knock down a
lamp-post. They might need to scatter police bribes around more
liberally, and increase the resolution of the wanted level (1-10, and
they start shooting at 3).

I'm not sure about a more flexible story-line, I wouldn't mess with the
winning formula that much. A selectable character (black, hispanic,
italian, etc.) might work but the story would have to be quite generic
and therefore probably less interesting.

Streamline the exercise, eating, and clothes changing sections, these
are too time-consuming and thumb-damaging.

I heard a radio segment the other day that mentioned another city,
maybe Carter City? Carver? It sounded like Detroit, it mentioned car
manufacturing. That's my prediction for GTA IV.

Any other suggestions, or predictions...

Phil Hibbs.

More about : gta speculation

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 2:20:44 PM

Ah, I haven't played Manhunt.

Phil Hibbs.
July 21, 2005 9:49:32 PM

"PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Or GTA 6, as some would have it.
>

> I heard a radio segment the other day that mentioned another city,
> maybe Carter City? Carver? It sounded like Detroit, it mentioned car
> manufacturing. That's my prediction for GTA IV.

That would be Carcer City which is where another Rockstar game called
Manhunt was set
July 22, 2005 2:42:09 AM

Kang wrote:
> "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in
>
> > Or GTA 6, as some would have it.
> >
> > The main thing that I'd like to see is for the police to treat everyone
> > equally, or at least realistically, based on stereotypes such as black
> > people and hippies being frisked, etc. I have seen cop cars start to
> > chase other vehicles in SA, but I'd like to see this improved. I'd also
> > like to see the police get annoyed if I run a red light or knock down a
> > lamp-post. They might need to scatter police bribes around more
> > liberally, and increase the resolution of the wanted level (1-10, and
> > they start shooting at 3).
> >
> > I'm not sure about a more flexible story-line, I wouldn't mess with the
> > winning formula that much. A selectable character (black, hispanic,
> > italian, etc.) might work but the story would have to be quite generic
> > and therefore probably less interesting.
>
> They've done the mafia. They've done gangs. What's next?

Government - Military, FBI, CIA, etc.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:56:07 AM

On 21 Jul 2005 09:34:40 -0700, "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote:

>Or GTA 6, as some would have it.
>
>but I'd like to see this improved. I'd also
>like to see the police get annoyed if I run a red light or knock down a
>lamp-post.

I think that would make the game rather annoying as it is impossible
to play without doing those things unless you go really slow...and
almost constantly having a wanted rating would grow tiresome IMO...

--
The Zero ST
July 22, 2005 4:32:12 AM

> Ah, I haven't played Manhunt.
>
> Phil Hibbs.

You should be able to get it cheap now. Think Play.com were doing it for
£10...well worth it in my opinion. Manhunt is also where CJ's stealth moves
and throat slitting ability originated from
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 5:44:39 AM

Kang wrote:
> "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in
>
> > Or GTA 6, as some would have it.
> >
> > The main thing that I'd like to see is for the police to treat everyone
> > equally, or at least realistically, based on stereotypes such as black
> > people and hippies being frisked, etc. I have seen cop cars start to
> > chase other vehicles in SA, but I'd like to see this improved. I'd also
> > like to see the police get annoyed if I run a red light or knock down a
> > lamp-post. They might need to scatter police bribes around more
> > liberally, and increase the resolution of the wanted level (1-10, and
> > they start shooting at 3).
> >
> > I'm not sure about a more flexible story-line, I wouldn't mess with the
> > winning formula that much. A selectable character (black, hispanic,
> > italian, etc.) might work but the story would have to be quite generic
> > and therefore probably less interesting.
>
> They've done the mafia. They've done gangs. What's next? Maybe you could play
> as a terrorist.

As a towel-head-suicide bomber? Doubt that'd get past the focus groups.

Hot, busty Japanese ninja-chick with a big gun fetish would be my
preferred choice!
=)
July 22, 2005 6:55:31 AM

"PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in

> Or GTA 6, as some would have it.
>
> The main thing that I'd like to see is for the police to treat everyone
> equally, or at least realistically, based on stereotypes such as black
> people and hippies being frisked, etc. I have seen cop cars start to
> chase other vehicles in SA, but I'd like to see this improved. I'd also
> like to see the police get annoyed if I run a red light or knock down a
> lamp-post. They might need to scatter police bribes around more
> liberally, and increase the resolution of the wanted level (1-10, and
> they start shooting at 3).
>
> I'm not sure about a more flexible story-line, I wouldn't mess with the
> winning formula that much. A selectable character (black, hispanic,
> italian, etc.) might work but the story would have to be quite generic
> and therefore probably less interesting.

They've done the mafia. They've done gangs. What's next? Maybe you could play
as a terrorist.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 9:26:21 AM

>I think that would make the game rather annoying...

That's why I also suggested increasing the resolution of the wanted
scale. One star, the cops just follow you for a while, *if* they happen
to spot you. Two, they try to stop you and nick some money as a bribe
(maybe a Yes/No option). Three, they start ramming you off the road and
shooting you, basically like one star at present. Four, they start
using shotguns and a helicopter follows you, at five the helicopter
starts shooting, six gets you SWAT teams, seven for FBI, eight for a
tank, nine for something else I haven't thought of, and ten for a
hunter helicopter with a minigun and rockets!

Phil Hibbs.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 9:27:48 AM

Well, it's sectarian, but not strictly racist. Anyway, I took it as an
ironic usage. Tricky subject though.

Phil Hibbs.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 9:53:34 AM

OK then - no more mention of "towel-heads". Whew! Tough crowd!
; )

Maybe they should use the farting Indian dude from the LS betting shop
for GTA "VI" - that dude always cracks me up...

Doh!
=)
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:28:00 PM

Kang wrote:

> "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in
>
> > Or GTA 6, as some would have it.
> >
> > The main thing that I'd like to see is for the police to treat everyone
> > equally, or at least realistically, based on stereotypes such as black
> > people and hippies being frisked, etc. I have seen cop cars start to
> > chase other vehicles in SA, but I'd like to see this improved. I'd also
> > like to see the police get annoyed if I run a red light or knock down a
> > lamp-post. They might need to scatter police bribes around more
> > liberally, and increase the resolution of the wanted level (1-10, and
> > they start shooting at 3).
> >
> > I'm not sure about a more flexible story-line, I wouldn't mess with the
> > winning formula that much. A selectable character (black, hispanic,
> > italian, etc.) might work but the story would have to be quite generic
> > and therefore probably less interesting.
>
> They've done the mafia. They've done gangs. What's next? Maybe you could play
> as a terrorist.

shopping mall security guard.

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

"PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ah, I haven't played Manhunt.
>
> Phil Hibbs.

Carcer city was also mentioned in Vice City. That American footballer bloke
was on the radio talking about a game he played against Carcer City. And
there's a bed shop somewhere in Vice that has a sign saying "The best bed
shop in Carcer City" for some reason, maybe it's just a sign they re-used
from Manhunt.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:57:30 PM

G Hardy wrote:
> Recently I received a warning about the use of this politically
> incorrect term, so please note, we all need to be more sensitive in our
> choice of words.
>
> I have been informed the Islamic terrorists , who hate our guts and want
> to kill us, do not like to be called "Towel Heads", since the item they
> wear on their heads is not actually a towel, but in fact, a small folded
> sheet.
>
> Therefore, from this point forward, please refer to them as "Little
> Sheet Heads."
> Thank you for your support and compliance on this delicate matter.

LOL!!

Actually, on a more serious note, ever noticed that while R* have no
problem making fun of Haitians, Indians, Black people, Rednecks, Asians
(ever notice the Japanese tourists complete with snappy cameras in
LV?), and pretty much any other race out there, they seem to shy away
from including ANY middle-eastern types in any of the games. (Hasn't
*cough* seemed to have harmed sales any.)

Fair enough I guess. No need to offend absolutely EVERYONE on the
planet now is there.
^_^
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 3:41:38 PM

"Class 1" <Class1@fastmail.fm> wrote in message

> As a towel-head-suicide bomber? Doubt that'd get past the focus groups.

"towel-head"? Are we being openly racist here now?
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 3:47:47 PM

Chris Wright wrote:

> "Class 1" <Class1@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> >
> > As a towel-head-suicide bomber? Doubt that'd get past the focus groups.
> >

> "towel-head"? Are we being openly racist here now?

i doubt a single one of the london bombers was wearing a towel on his
head.
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 3:57:38 PM

Kang wrote:
> They've done the mafia. They've done gangs. What's next?

Chavs.

In between nicking cars, shoplifting and pimping out your sisters you
can play mini-games to see how many teenage slappers you can get
pregnant in one night...

Mark
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 8:16:13 PM

"Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote in message

> "Class 1" <Class1@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> >
> > As a towel-head-suicide bomber? Doubt that'd get past the focus groups.
> >

> "towel-head"? Are we being openly racist here now?

Recently I received a warning about the use of this politically
incorrect term, so please note, we all need to be more sensitive in our
choice of words.

I have been informed the Islamic terrorists , who hate our guts and want
to kill us, do not like to be called "Towel Heads", since the item they
wear on their heads is not actually a towel, but in fact, a small folded
sheet.

Therefore, from this point forward, please refer to them as "Little
Sheet Heads."
Thank you for your support and compliance on this delicate matter.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 8:27:59 PM

> ...ten for a
> hunter helicopter with a minigun and rockets!

The Hunter (Apache) is armed with a 30mm single-barrel chain gun that fires
high-explosive rounds. The reload mechanism is belt-driven by an electric
motor (the "belt" is actually a bit of industrial chain, a bit like a bike
chain). This makes jams less likely as spent cartridges are ejected without
the need for their own exhaust gases. Despite only having one barrel, it can
still almost achieve cyclic rates of fire (I forget what it can actually
manage).

The minigun uses 22mm standard NATO ammo (sometimes depleted uranium) and
fires at 3000 or 6000 rounds a minute, which means the 6" or so of
ammunition we see perpetually hanging from the minigun in the GTA games
would last (approximately) between one twentieth and one tenth of a second.

Just a bit of useless trivia 4 ya
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 11:09:55 PM

In message <1122035181.845189.298960@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>
"PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote:

> and ten for a hunter helicopter with a minigun and rockets!

Ooooh yes, that was on my wishlist for SA. The Hydra they put up
against you isn't bad, but it only attacks you if you're in the air.

I'm pretty sure that the air force wouldn't use a Harrier jump jet to
on ground targets when a gunship is much more effective, but if you as
a playable character can do it, why can't they?

Cheers,
Rob
July 22, 2005 11:11:19 PM

In message <j89Ee.2$YL5.1@newsfe2-win.ntli.net>
"G Hardy" <gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com> wrote:

> Just a bit of useless trivia 4 ya

I've seen on-board footage of an Apache taking out ground targets, and
*damn* is it accurate.

Good thing that all the pain I've inflicted on the playable characters
of the GTA series has made me superhuman in real life :o )

Cheers,
Rob
July 22, 2005 11:16:52 PM

mmaker@my-deja.com wrote:

> Kang wrote:
> > They've done the mafia. They've done gangs. What's next?
>
> Chavs.
>
> In between nicking cars, shoplifting and pimping out your sisters you
> can play mini-games to see how many teenage slappers you can get
> pregnant in one night...
>
> Mark

must include Chavies instead of homies. Chavies will sit around on
walls etc and harass passers-by with

"Have yer gorra tab mate?"

and when they're told no they will stone the person.

or can have conversations such as my wife overheard from a group today

"E's a right un, got his bird preggers again."

"Well, it was either him or Garry."

(lad whose bird is pregnant) "Aye"

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 12:20:05 AM

In message <1122058658.705382.176540@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>
mmaker@my-deja.com wrote:

> Chavs.

GTA: Wimbledon! (see .sig).

:o D

Cheers,
Rob
July 23, 2005 5:24:27 AM

TV's PhilHibbs wrote:
> >I think that would make the game rather annoying...
>
> That's why I also suggested increasing the resolution of the wanted
> scale. One star, the cops just follow you for a while, *if* they happen
> to spot you. Two, they try to stop you and nick some money as a bribe
> (maybe a Yes/No option). Three, they start ramming you off the road and
> shooting you, basically like one star at present. Four, they start
> using shotguns and a helicopter follows you, at five the helicopter
> starts shooting, six gets you SWAT teams, seven for FBI, eight for a
> tank, nine for something else I haven't thought of, and ten for a
> hunter helicopter with a minigun and rockets!

I like that idea. I've always thought it was a little unrealistic to speed
through town, running red lights, and the cops ignore you. At least they go
after you if you smash into another car in their presence.

--

Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.
A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing.

aa #2133
ap #19
July 23, 2005 5:26:31 AM

TV's Class 1 wrote:
>G Hardy wrote:
>> Recently I received a warning about the use of this politically
>> incorrect term, so please note, we all need to be more sensitive in our
>> choice of words.
>>
>> I have been informed the Islamic terrorists , who hate our guts and want
>> to kill us, do not like to be called "Towel Heads", since the item they
>> wear on their heads is not actually a towel, but in fact, a small folded
>> sheet.
>>
>> Therefore, from this point forward, please refer to them as "Little
>> Sheet Heads."
>> Thank you for your support and compliance on this delicate matter.
>
> LOL!!
>
> Actually, on a more serious note, ever noticed that while R* have no
> problem making fun of Haitians, Indians, Black people, Rednecks, Asians
> (ever notice the Japanese tourists complete with snappy cameras in
> LV?), and pretty much any other race out there, they seem to shy away
> from including ANY middle-eastern types in any of the games. (Hasn't
> *cough* seemed to have harmed sales any.)

That's part of why Dave Chappelle is so funny. He makes fun of everybody,
including himself, equally.

--

Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.
A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing.
- Maynard James Keenan

aa #2133
ap #19
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 6:33:12 AM

I think thats the best way to do comedy. Make fun of yourself and
everyone else so they can't say your against a particular group.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 11:13:42 AM

"towelie" <bugoNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> ...I've always thought it was a little unrealistic to speed
> through town, running red lights, and the cops ignore you. At least they
go
> after you if you smash into another car in their presence.

I've not found that - you have to hit their car for the offence to register.
I've vaulted on of the hilltop streets in SF, gone sailing over a cop car
and smashed into another car at the lights, and they do nothing.

If you hit the cop car too hard, it doesn't register either. If they turn
unexpectedly across your path and you just touch their car while braking
hard, they get out and shoot you. If you're hurtling down the wrong side of
the (urban) road at highway speed or above, and deliberately hit them
full-bore, they ignore it.

My favourite pastime at the moment is ramming stationary cars into adjacent
cop cars at the lights. The driver gets out with a club or bat, only to be
shot by the cops who seemed to have missed the fact that it wasn't his
fault...
July 23, 2005 11:13:43 AM

TV's G Hardy wrote:
> "towelie" <bugoNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> ...I've always thought it was a little unrealistic to speed
>> through town, running red lights, and the cops ignore you. At least they
>> go
>> after you if you smash into another car in their presence.
>
> I've not found that - you have to hit their car for the offence to
> register.
> I've vaulted on of the hilltop streets in SF, gone sailing over a cop car
> and smashed into another car at the lights, and they do nothing.

It depends. Sometimes they'll start chasing you, depending on how far from
the accident they were.

> If you hit the cop car too hard, it doesn't register either. If they turn
> unexpectedly across your path and you just touch their car while braking
> hard, they get out and shoot you. If you're hurtling down the wrong side
> of
> the (urban) road at highway speed or above, and deliberately hit them
> full-bore, they ignore it.

I always laugh when I get a star, the cops get out of the car and shoot at
me or whatever, then hop back in the car and take off.

> My favourite pastime at the moment is ramming stationary cars into
> adjacent
> cop cars at the lights. The driver gets out with a club or bat, only to be
> shot by the cops who seemed to have missed the fact that it wasn't his
> fault...

I'll have to try that!

--

Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.
A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing.
- Maynard James Keenan

aa #2133
ap #19
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 9:01:40 PM

"PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Or GTA 6, as some would have it.
>
> The main thing that I'd like to see is for the police to treat everyone
> equally, or at least realistically, based on stereotypes such as black
> people and hippies being frisked, etc. I have seen cop cars start to
> chase other vehicles in SA, but I'd like to see this improved. I'd also
> like to see the police get annoyed if I run a red light or knock down a
> lamp-post. They might need to scatter police bribes around more
> liberally, and increase the resolution of the wanted level (1-10, and
> they start shooting at 3).
>
> I'm not sure about a more flexible story-line, I wouldn't mess with the
> winning formula that much. A selectable character (black, hispanic,
> italian, etc.) might work but the story would have to be quite generic
> and therefore probably less interesting.

I think the character should simply be male or female (selectable by the player,
or even created by one although this could really detract from the game,
especially as clothing options would be readily availabele in-game anyway) with
two sets of voice-overs for that character. The story would pretty much be
fixed, or with enough variation to make you want to play the game twice with the
alternative character.

They can't really go beyond this or else as you say, the story would become
generic.

> Streamline the exercise, eating, and clothes changing sections, these
> are too time-consuming and thumb-damaging.

Yep. If Rockstar still want to include this kind of stuff, they should see how
Maxis did it with The Sims and The Urbz - namely, no repeat animations every
time you preview new clothes (in The Urbz you have a preview window with all the
clothing/tattoo/jewellery styles on the left of the screen and your "Urb" on the
right with previews superimposed via a button press. No time-consuming, and
somewhat tedious walk out/walk in animations like SA)

Exercise in the same way could be reduced to hammering a single button, not two
at once. Older PS2 controllers can handle this abuse, but newer ones (i.e. any
made from late 2004 onwards) are poorly manufactured and wear out too easily.

In addition to the above, i would like to see a real-time option, where the
in-game clock is set to the same time settings as the PS3. Of course, this
option could be disabled if so required. Games like Animal Crossing on GC and
the upcoming Sims 2 on DS (and Animal Crossing DS for that matter) use this
feature.

Also, some proper use of the space would be good too. I found what I think is a
hidden tunnel in the side of Mount Chiliad last night (although it may actually
be used for the mountain bike races), and I'm still coming across abandoned
buildings out in the forest that seemingly would be ignored altogether by the
story/side missions in the game. How about a cave on a beach or something?

And, for no reason at all, a 10,000ft+ mountain complete with snow and ski
resort. Perhaps run by a crime family or something. Nah, that one /would/ be
pointless! ;-)

Paul.
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 10:02:34 AM

Martin Ebnoether wrote:
> It should be London. Or any other european city. Zürich (I mean
> the whole canton) would be cool too. Trams, Busses, lots of one
> ways, roundabouts and stuff and of course the Langstrasse, our
> own red-light district. =:-)

Based on San Andreas, Rockstar will put the whole of Europe in the
game, you'll be based in Paris, you'll have to drive to Zurich to start
the mission and then drive all the way back to Paris to spend ten
seconds trying to do the mission before failing, and then drive all the
way back to Zurich to restart the mission again :) .

Mark
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 6:06:55 PM

PhilHibbs schrieb:

> I heard a radio segment the other day that mentioned another city,
> maybe Carter City? Carver? It sounded like Detroit, it mentioned car
> manufacturing. That's my prediction for GTA IV.

It should be London. Or any other european city. Zürich (I mean
the whole canton) would be cool too. Trams, Busses, lots of one
ways, roundabouts and stuff and of course the Langstrasse, our
own red-light district. =:-)

One can dream alright.

CU, Venty
!