Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gateway monitor behavior

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 6, 2005 4:05:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

I have a Gateway VX900T CRT 18 inch viewable monitor. It's actually a
replacement monitor for one that was defective. Fortunately, we still had
our warranty thru Gateway and they sent us another VX900T. This happened 3
years ago, and I'm assuming the replacement monitor was new. But who knows?

Last night, while the monitor was running, it made a moderately loud
popping sound, the screen went black, then the picture came back. All this
happened in about 2 seconds. I turned off the system and unplugged the
monitor for about 20 minutes. Hasn't happened again. Any ideas what this
may signify? IIRC, this popping sound happened with our first Gateway
monitor, which was one of the reasons we took it in for maintenance.
March 6, 2005 5:36:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

It was a warning shot! The next one goes right in the back of the
monitor... 8-)
I'd start looking for a replacement soon.

"History Fan" <IreallyHATEspam@iREALLYhateSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:bEHWd.4384$N83.2124@fe37.usenetserver.com...
> I have a Gateway VX900T CRT 18 inch viewable monitor. It's actually
a
> replacement monitor for one that was defective. Fortunately, we still had
> our warranty thru Gateway and they sent us another VX900T. This happened
3
> years ago, and I'm assuming the replacement monitor was new. But who
knows?
>
> Last night, while the monitor was running, it made a moderately loud
> popping sound, the screen went black, then the picture came back. All
this
> happened in about 2 seconds. I turned off the system and unplugged the
> monitor for about 20 minutes. Hasn't happened again. Any ideas what this
> may signify? IIRC, this popping sound happened with our first Gateway
> monitor, which was one of the reasons we took it in for maintenance.
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 6, 2005 6:45:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

"Dogface" <DogFace@doghouse.com> wrote in message
news:rTIWd.302$rk1.251@fe03.lga...
> It was a warning shot! The next one goes right in the back of the
> monitor... 8-)
> I'd start looking for a replacement soon.
>

A pity if true. This monitor has excellent picture quality.
However, it does take up a lot of space, weighs a ton, and I did have my eye
on those attractive looking LCD monitors at Circuit City recently.....
Related resources
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 6, 2005 7:12:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Back in the dim and distant past when I serviced TV's it was a common
occurrance to have periodic loud snapping noises emanate from the picture
tube. Caused by flakes of matter coming off the tube cathode and
incinerating (snap) when the high voltages arced across the resulting short
circuit. I never saw a tube fail even though the snapping occurred for
years. I wouldn't worry too much about it until you see a full failure then
just discard - new ones dont cost much more than repairs.

As far as the flyback transformer failing - they were always catastrophic
(ie. when they failed they were done).

Good luck

"History Fan" <IreallyHATEspam@iREALLYhateSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:1_JWd.4399$N83.2487@fe37.usenetserver.com...
> "Dogface" <DogFace@doghouse.com> wrote in message
> news:rTIWd.302$rk1.251@fe03.lga...
>> It was a warning shot! The next one goes right in the back of the
>> monitor... 8-)
>> I'd start looking for a replacement soon.
>>
>
> A pity if true. This monitor has excellent picture quality.
> However, it does take up a lot of space, weighs a ton, and I did have my
> eye on those attractive looking LCD monitors at Circuit City recently.....
>
>
March 6, 2005 10:22:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 13:05:53 -0500, "History Fan"
<IreallyHATEspam@iREALLYhateSPAM.com> wrote:

>I'm assuming the replacement monitor was new.

Wrong assumption when dealing with GW warranty replacements.

>Any ideas what this may signify?

Probably the same as a past known issue with their EV700s. The
flyback transformer's insulation breaks down and you get high voltage
jumps to ground which sound like a firecracker going off each time it
does it.

Regards,
TR
March 7, 2005 1:49:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Succumb to the temptation! I did (Samsung). You won't regret it. Except
buy it from www.neweg.com and you'll get it for a good price. Stop using
your monitor to heat your house and get a lot of space back for the rest of
your junk.


"History Fan" <IreallyHATEspam@iREALLYhateSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:1_JWd.4399$N83.2487@fe37.usenetserver.com...
> "Dogface" <DogFace@doghouse.com> wrote in message
> news:rTIWd.302$rk1.251@fe03.lga...
> > It was a warning shot! The next one goes right in the back of the
> > monitor... 8-)
> > I'd start looking for a replacement soon.
> >
>
> A pity if true. This monitor has excellent picture quality.
> However, it does take up a lot of space, weighs a ton, and I did have my
eye
> on those attractive looking LCD monitors at Circuit City recently.....
>
>
>
March 8, 2005 9:33:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

I have the same monitor, have had it for 6 years, a couple years ago the
same thing happened to me, I also thought my monitor was starting to fail
but have never heard a pop since and has been working great.

Don

"History Fan" <IreallyHATEspam@iREALLYhateSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:bEHWd.4384$N83.2124@fe37.usenetserver.com...
> I have a Gateway VX900T CRT 18 inch viewable monitor. It's actually a
> replacement monitor for one that was defective. Fortunately, we still had
> our warranty thru Gateway and they sent us another VX900T. This happened
> 3 years ago, and I'm assuming the replacement monitor was new. But who
> knows?
>
> Last night, while the monitor was running, it made a moderately loud
> popping sound, the screen went black, then the picture came back. All
> this happened in about 2 seconds. I turned off the system and unplugged
> the monitor for about 20 minutes. Hasn't happened again. Any ideas what
> this may signify? IIRC, this popping sound happened with our first
> Gateway monitor, which was one of the reasons we took it in for
> maintenance.
>
>
!