Gateway monitor behavior

I have a Gateway VX900T CRT 18 inch viewable monitor. It's actually a
replacement monitor for one that was defective. Fortunately, we still had
our warranty thru Gateway and they sent us another VX900T. This happened 3
years ago, and I'm assuming the replacement monitor was new. But who knows?

Last night, while the monitor was running, it made a moderately loud
popping sound, the screen went black, then the picture came back. All this
happened in about 2 seconds. I turned off the system and unplugged the
monitor for about 20 minutes. Hasn't happened again. Any ideas what this
may signify? IIRC, this popping sound happened with our first Gateway
monitor, which was one of the reasons we took it in for maintenance.
6 answers Last reply
More about gateway monitor behavior

    It was a warning shot! The next one goes right in the back of the
    monitor... 8-)
    I'd start looking for a replacement soon.

    "Dogface" <DogFace@doghouse.com> wrote in message
    > It was a warning shot! The next one goes right in the back of the
    > monitor... 8-)
    > I'd start looking for a replacement soon.

    A pity if true. This monitor has excellent picture quality.
    However, it does take up a lot of space, weighs a ton, and I did have my eye
    on those attractive looking LCD monitors at Circuit City recently.....

    Back in the dim and distant past when I serviced TV's it was a common
    occurrance to have periodic loud snapping noises emanate from the picture
    tube. Caused by flakes of matter coming off the tube cathode and
    incinerating (snap) when the high voltages arced across the resulting short
    circuit. I never saw a tube fail even though the snapping occurred for
    years. I wouldn't worry too much about it until you see a full failure then
    just discard - new ones dont cost much more than repairs.

    As far as the flyback transformer failing - they were always catastrophic
    (ie. when they failed they were done).

    Good luck

    > "Dogface" <DogFace@doghouse.com> wrote in message
    >> It was a warning shot! The next one goes right in the back of the
    >> monitor... 8-)
    >> I'd start looking for a replacement soon.
    >>

    > A pity if true. This monitor has excellent picture quality.
    > However, it does take up a lot of space, weighs a ton, and I did have my
    > eye on those attractive looking LCD monitors at Circuit City recently.....

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 13:05:53 -0500, "History Fan"
    <IreallyHATEspam@iREALLYhateSPAM.com> wrote:

    >I'm assuming the replacement monitor was new.

    Wrong assumption when dealing with GW warranty replacements.

    >Any ideas what this may signify?

    Probably the same as a past known issue with their EV700s. The
    flyback transformer's insulation breaks down and you get high voltage
    jumps to ground which sound like a firecracker going off each time it
    does it.

    Regards,
    TR

    Succumb to the temptation! I did (Samsung). You won't regret it. Except
    buy it from www.neweg.com and you'll get it for a good price. Stop using
    your monitor to heat your house and get a lot of space back for the rest of
    your junk.

    "History Fan" <IreallyHATEspam@iREALLYhateSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > "Dogface" <DogFace@doghouse.com> wrote in message
    > > It was a warning shot! The next one goes right in the back of the
    > > monitor... 8-)
    > > I'd start looking for a replacement soon.
    > >

    > A pity if true. This monitor has excellent picture quality.
    > However, it does take up a lot of space, weighs a ton, and I did have my
    eye
    > on those attractive looking LCD monitors at Circuit City recently.....

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    I have the same monitor, have had it for 6 years, a couple years ago the
    same thing happened to me, I also thought my monitor was starting to fail
    but have never heard a pop since and has been working great.

    Don

    "History Fan" <IreallyHATEspam@iREALLYhateSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Gateway VX900T CRT 18 inch viewable monitor. It's actually a
    > replacement monitor for one that was defective. Fortunately, we still had
    > our warranty thru Gateway and they sent us another VX900T. This happened
    > 3 years ago, and I'm assuming the replacement monitor was new. But who
    > knows?
    >
    > Last night, while the monitor was running, it made a moderately loud
    > popping sound, the screen went black, then the picture came back. All
    > this happened in about 2 seconds. I turned off the system and unplugged
    > the monitor for about 20 minutes. Hasn't happened again. Any ideas what
    > this may signify? IIRC, this popping sound happened with our first
    > Gateway monitor, which was one of the reasons we took it in for
    > maintenance.

Gateway Monitors CRT Monitors Computers Product